FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Parasites That Change Their Host's Behavior (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Parasites That Change Their Host's Behavior
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember a thread we had a few months ago that, for a time, evolved into a discussion of parasites that change the behavior of their hosts, generally in ways that increase the liklihood of the parasite's transmission to other hosts? I just came across a variety of links dealing with the subject, and thought I'd share them.

From PubMed:

Fatal attraction in rats infected with Toxoplasma gondii.

From The Guardian:

Suicidal rats hint at mindbending parasite

Here's a page that discusses a parasite that alters ant behavior.

From The Times Online:

Dangerrrr: cats could alter your personality What's up with the spelling of "Danger" there?

This last one is the first I've seen that discusses the possibility of human behavioral changes as a result of a parasite.

Here is a paper that the article draws on. Here is another.And another. And yet another. And finally, one more from the same researcher, this one on theDecrease of psychomotor performance in subjects with latent 'asymptomatic' toxoplasmosis.

Interesting stuff. I'd love to see more research done on all of this.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Read David Brin's The Giving Plague.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I have, actually; it was my first introduction to the idea of this kind of thing, and a damned good story. For those who haven't read it, The Giving Plague is available for free on his site.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Wow! He's done a lot of work on that site since I last visited. Thanks!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Ralphie have a cat? Do you suppose that she and Slash grew up with cats?

[ November 10, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Try Parasite Rex for more tales of biochemical behaviour modification.

[ November 11, 2003, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ralphie does indeed have a cat and even has pictures of "Fatty fatty fat fat" up at foobonic...but maybe you were being sarcastic, Rabbit. [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Infected men, suggests one new study, tend to become more aggressive, scruffy, antisocial and are less attractive. Women, on the other hand, appear to exhibit the “sex kitten” effect, becoming less trustworthy, more desirable, fun- loving and possibly more promiscuous.
Judging from the evidence?

I like the gruff, brutally honest thing, though. I like it in Leto, too. I disagree with the writer's characterization.

---

As to why the extra Rs: *sigh* I think the headline is supposed to be purring.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, it was a weak attempt at humor.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It was funny! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that ever since I had kids I can never find my car keys...
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if we've ever changed OSC's behaviour... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
This just explains a whole hell of a lot. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] The Rabbit. Weak? That was great!

[Laugh] Olivet. I've just always assumed that you were a little more in touch with your Bonobo side than most of us.

[ November 12, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Erik, I was startled by all of the changes to the site too! I'm glad you mentioned the story or I wouldn't have surfed over to his site to link to it.
eslaine
Member # 5433

I particularly liked his take on Blogging. "Just another tar baby" to keep from getting any real work done. Heh, heh.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Women, on the other hand, appear to exhibit the "sex kitten" effect, becoming less trustworthy, more desirable, fun-loving and possibly more promiscuous... "We found they were more easy-going, more warm-hearted, had more friends and cared more about how they looked."
Now I know why I unaccountably purchased this mask.

I was under some sort of parasitic compulsion.

Looks good, though, don't it! ROWR!!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::bumped for quid and Fahim::

Man, I can't believe this thread is that old; I thought that I'd started it no more than a year ago. Weird.

I haven't read it, but Parasite Rex : Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures looks like an interesting read. I'll have to get a copy of it.

Here is a blog by the author of the above book. Looks like it has some great stuff; the post I linked to is more up to date (in terms of the possible link between toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia, for example) than the links I posted in 2003. Based on the strength of this particular entry, I think I'll have to spend some time exploring the rest of the blog.

[Edit--looks like aspectre beat me to the punch on Parasite Rext by...oh, about two and a half years.]

[Edit II--don't you hate it when you try to edit a post and instead you end up quoting it? I do that all the freaking time.]

[ March 19, 2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Noemon, and thanks! I don't remember this thread at all, but it was during my off-internet period, so no big surprise. Now I'm going to have to go looking through all the links... [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Sure quid, glad to help.

I'd start with the blog entry, myself. It provides a pretty good introduction.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. Thanks for the tip. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My initial reaction: Check for glowing eyes and a snake in the head.

Then I realized it was serious and almost didn't post this.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This is all really interesting. I just wish that the links weren't so old. Then I could actually read some of the articles that people are quoting. They seem so thought-provoking.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives Carrie*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Video games taught me about this. Resident Evil 4's main plot involves parasites that change their host's behavior.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Mosquito and human behaviour modified by malaria.
Spiders induced to weave hatching nests for parasitic wasp larvae
Bees being lured to "mate" with clusters of hundreds of parasitic blister beetle larvae.
Then there are the ants tricked into feeding Blue Alcone catepillar which may in turn attract a parasitic wasp capable of causing the ants to attack each other.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet thread. Thumbs up.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I love this thread. It's suuuuper creepy, though, don't you think?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It is, indeed. I'm always fascinated by self-interpretation of intention. There are things that can happen to humans that cause them to confabulate, or to work up reasons after the fact to make sense of what they had done. It's amazing -- makes me wonder how much of my intentionality is rationalization after fact, and about which I am unaware.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Preliminary findings suggest that Toxoplasma gondi skews sex ratios in humans.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabies is a parasite with this well-known effect. It's transmitted via saliva, so making an animal more aggressive greatly increases the chance of infection. It's far less subtle than these other types of effects, but it seems consistent with the general idea.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, thanks for bumping the thread. It's ubercool. [Cool] And I need to read through this stuff again. NaNoWriMo inspiration, don't'cha know? [Big Grin]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What this thread needs is a mother-in-law joke....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Fascinating link, aspectre; thanks!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you all been watching House? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
[url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa%27uld]*resists making dobie*[/url]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Apparently whirling disease is becoming quite a problem for trout and salmon in the US.

[ February 16, 2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Somehow that one seems less interesting than a lot of the other examples we've been talking about because the behavoir of the host is neutral for the parasite rather than beneficial (assuming I'm not missing something, of course). Still interesting, but not one of the ones I'll be lying awake thinking about.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
... not one of the ones I'll be lying awake thinking about.

You are a delight to know, Noemon.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Thanks!

I've been wanting to email you for a while now, by the way, but I don't seem to have your address saved anywhere, and strangely enough I can't find any email from you. Even though I know I should have some. Very strange.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
*dispatches evil viral goons*

Were a pleasure to know, Noemon. Were.

^^;;

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The infamous Pronged Ants of Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"...seems less interesting than...other examples...because the behavior of the host is neutral for the parasite rather than beneficial..."

Well I'm assuming that the whirling behaviour attracts predatory birds as the disease creates easy prey.
"This causes the fish to swim erratically (whirl) and have difficulty feeding and avoiding predators."
Those birds in turn have their feathers heavily dosed with spores which are then flown to uninfected waterways.

[ February 16, 2007, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Sent you an email, Noemon. [to the address in your HR profile here]

(Die, Phanto, die! [Mad] *shakes fist)

aspectre
Member # 2222

So what'd ya roll after shaking those die?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
::Spoiler Alert!::

Well, the latest episode of House ultimately tied behavioral changes in a patient to a parasite.

To make a long story short, lots of behavioral changes involving guilt, anger and risk-taking are due to a vitamin b-12 deficiency caused by a 25 foot long tapeworm.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
"...seems less interesting than...other examples...because the behavior of the host is neutral for the parasite rather than beneficial..."

Ah, okay. That's much more interesting.
Well I'm assuming that the whirling behaviour attracts predatory birds as the disease creates easy prey.
"This causes the fish to swim erratically (whirl) and have difficulty feeding and avoiding predators."
Those birds in turn have their feathers heavily dosed with spores which are then flown to uninfected waterways.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Sent you an email, Noemon. [to the address in your HR profile here]

Got it! Or rather, I can see that it's arrived in my gmailbox. I won't be able to actually access my gmail until I get home tonight. In any case, thanks!
aspectre
Member # 2222

"the latest episode of House ultimately tied...behavioral changes involving guilt, anger and risk-taking are due to a vitamin b-12 deficiency caused by a 25 foot long tapeworm."

Useta be that "the devil made me do it" followed by an exorcism was sufficient.
And now we gotta name the specific parasite.

[ February 16, 2007, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like what Daniel Dennett says religious ideas are, with people as the hosts?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.