FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Miserable Failure

Author Topic: Miserable Failure
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
If this has already been posted, I apologize, but for all of those who may have missed it:

Google the phrase 'miserable failure'.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I knew google had a sense of humor.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

[Big Grin] [Laugh]
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's rather classless, but politicians have long been the punchlines of classless jokes.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

...is this a joke that someone at Google is pulling? Cause it's definitely the official www.whitehouse.gov site.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it was likely due to a google bomb.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's definitely not a real link. It's a joke someone is pulling. I figured Google had to be in on it, or else it wouldn't stay long enough to spread through the internet.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The terms "miserable" and "failure" don't show up anywhere on the page identified, so it's not a legitimate search result. Just mean.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't think its mean, but I also think its obviously untrue. I mean, he's President, and you may not like what he does, but he's been fairly successful at doing it. There are many true things that could hurt, but I don't see this as being one of them.

So, it's funny, because it's like wishful thinking. I figure it would be less funny if it linked to, say, the home page of some schmoe who really was the above. That would be sad. This is like the peanut gallery.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm surprised it took .10 seconds to complete the search.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

What was that quote about lying to a black man being worse than lying to a white man? What about attacking a person who can't defend himself in the forum where he is being attacked?
katharina
Member # 827

Being in politics, do you give up some of that claim to a chance for rebuttal?
Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure it is the real whitehouse page. It is not the fact that miserable failure is not in the page anywhere that causes it to be ranked that way. It being up there has things to do with Google's page rank algorithm thingie.

I think fugu is right about the google bomb thing. Check this link. It is good for a chuckle.

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it. Just something about being ten times worse.

Ridiculously, I thought of Google, at least as a search engine, as being "Fair And Balanced." I just hate being disillusioned.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] *pat pat*

I heard a story on NPR once where Google knocked a company a page or two down the listings - they were suing Google or something. It was big deal.

It looks like this isn't Google's idea, but the fault of the google bombers.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Having read the "google bomb" link provided (thank you, Lerris), I no longer disavow Google, and will continue to use it as my search engine. This is still a classless thing to do, though. Not as destructive as a virus or worm, but just as insidious.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Google has no more to do with this than Microsoft has to do with the email viruses that keep surfacsing. Someone figured out a way to manipulate the sytstem. That is all.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it does look like Google bombing -- see the links that come up for the rest of the top 10? And even if you search for "miserable failure -bush" you get a fair number of tangentially related stuff.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Google's swung in both directions. Remember the French link?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.