FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated)
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate: I saw on my caller ID that you tried to call me last night. The first time since my 17th birthday that I go to bed before midnight, and thats the night that you call.
::curses forces of fate::

[Smile]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out I'd left my phone on the charger, so I called when I got home. I'll try Take Two tonight. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

did you end up talking to my father? or just hung up when the answering machine picked up?
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I hung up when I realized it was past midnight there and it had rung four times. There was the Great Debate of whether or not to be rude and call late when I found my phone, or to be disingenous and call the next day at a reasonable and not mention finding the phone. Hanging up after four rings seemed a reasonable compromise. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

haha, indeed. wouldnt have been an issue any other day of the year. i wouldve been awake and picked up the phone. unless i was out barhopping.

of course our outgoing message often makes people reluctant to leave messages. Its my voice when i was like 17, grumpily asserting "you reached us. leave a message."

unfortunately, the only people that still leave messages are bill collectors. Maybe i should changed the message. "Youve reached me. I still have no money. Piss off. Leave a message"

katharina
Member # 827

*laugh* Now I want to call back just to listen to the message. I didn't quite get that far.
odouls268
Member # 2145

[Razz]
maybe ill give you a call and do the voice for ya
[Wink]

katharina
Member # 827

Your 17-year-old voice? *grin* Are you sure?
odouls268
Member # 2145

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dont know if i could do the 17 year old voice. but i can do the gruff voice still. i think.
its been a while. im even polite when im bouncing these days.

ive gone soft. [Razz]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know it looks like our dollar count has stopped rising for the charity. Do you think we need to pull out Mack's thumping stick, or if we've just maxed out Hatrack generosity for this season?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Has Rabbit posted recently? Maybe it's still coming in, and she hasn't posted.

Or maybe we've tapped all the regulars. Considering the general age of this crowd, that's not bad.

I'll bet we can make it to $600 though.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think she said she was going to be gone for a day earlier. She didn't post on the 10th and hasn't posted today so maybe she's just busy.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

alrite, time for the hatrack bachelor auction to raise funds for the charity. ive got my fuzzy gstring ready to dance.
[Razz]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) If you didn't get my total Rabbit, on the card, it was a wopping $10.

2) The gender bias in my humorous motivational post was deliberate. Men are more likely to be interested in obtaining minions by $, while most of the females here, do not need such lowly ploys to aquire their minions.

If you women need motivation to donate, figure it out yourself. (I suggest the most donated is elected Queen Wench of the Day)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

"That was deliberate, that was deliberate."
-Gimli

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks, The count is now up to date.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff!!!

I just heard an NPR report on a UNICEF study about literacy. They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls. It had some strange data in there that I can't recall, but it was basically that for every girl you educate, the overall health of the people of that country improves by a measurable amount. The infant death rate drops measurably as well.

In other words, by our donations we are not only helping to educate other people, but we are making it possible for them to become parents of healthy babies.

Who, I assume, will also become educated, having more healthy babies...

etc.

It's a freakin' snowball!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls.
That's fascinating. Brigham Young said if he had to choose between educating a daughter and educating a son, he'd educate the daughter.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls.
That makes perfect sense to me, since, in most of the world, it is the women who are responsible for the raising/educating children. If a mother is educated, it is more likely that her children will be educated.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Well, ma taught me how to read. dad taught me how to add. You figure it out.

Of course, im an excellent reader and shitty at math so...

But i tell ya, i watch movies like a champ.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But i tell ya, i watch movies like a champ

That's funny, I watch movies like a chimp!

[Kiss]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I want to do with the Relief Society. Educate girls and women all over the world, focusing on the poorest and most at risk.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Anne Kate. How much money do you think it would take for us to found a girls school in some developing country. Rich and I would be willing to teach at it for a very minimal fee.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

BTW, No one has made a donation in the past two days. Go out and harange/bribe your fellow Hatrack citizens. I really want to break $600.

[ December 12, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The check's in the mail, so to speak.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Um...don't pressure people into giving. It should be because they want to and have the money to give right now.

People, give until it tickles!!!

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have to bribe someone, wouldn't it be more cost-effective to donate the bribe money instead?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

It depends on what you bribe them with.
ana kata
Member # 5666

Rabbit, I don't know what it would cost. Do you think we could work a PEF type deal where it sort of snowballed and paid for itself over time? Whatever we do has to snowball somehow, doesn't it? In order to build up and keep on going? That's what I interpret the mustard seed to mean. Not just size increase, but regenerative capacity, something that reproduces itself. That's how I'm thinking it has to work.

That is my life's work. Iraq is just training for that. I'm not planning to go myself to teach, though, when the time comes. When I get home from Iraq I'm going to stay put for a while. I am going to do organization and planning and logistics back home for this project.

What would you say the first step is? Writing up a "business plan", a model on which to base the creation of new schools?

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Teaching has in and of itself a snowball effect. You teach children, and they grow up to teach children. If you do it well, it grows and grows.

My knack (if I have one) is in being able see the connections that others miss and in being able to teach them to others. I wish my mission in life were to change the world, but I am coming more and more to accept that my mission is only to change some small part of it. If I do it well, perhaps God can work my bit into his plan to change the worldl.

What is the status on you and Iraq Anne Kate? Any progress?

ana kata
Member # 5666

I have taken this contract job in San Francisco first, and the schedule has slipped on that some. I'm supposed to go Jan. 5th, 2004 to start it up now. In the meantime I'm doing the programming and engineering stuff here.

I got a bite for a job as a design team leader with the local power company here, and I'm trying to decide whether I should look into it at all. I'm about to decide not to. I want to go to Iraq. Many of the contractors have pulled out, though, or are doing so now, until such time as the situation over there gets safer. So I don't know what the prospects will be like short term. I may have to take another contract gig here while waiting for a slot to go.

That's the way things go. [Smile] Everything always takes longer than you expect. But in no way have I dropped my plans to go. There will be lots of work to be done over there for a long time to come, I am sure.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Rabbit, I do have to save the whole world. [Frown] My little piece won't matter if the whole thing sinks. It's way beyond me, of course, and I'll probably fail miserably, which is why I really hope God has a backup plan. Remember how before the ring came to Frodo it landed with Gollum?
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
*Another Bump*
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sorry I haven't been here to update the total. I will make the contribution tomorrow so if get your money to me by then.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Great! Thanks for handling this for us all. I'm impressed with the total $ amount too. Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

So...when do we get a photo and bio of our child???
j/k

[Roll Eyes]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't. We get a photo and bio of our book.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that we broke $500! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan, LOL.

I'm really glad we did this.

Rabbit, is there actually any kind of follow-up from the charity?

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, your post count is ALMOST 12345. Cool!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh dangit, i finally get my paypal account authorized and this thing is over!

[Frown]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I just finished making the donation to first book. Here is the e-mail reciept I recieved.

quote:
Thank you for your generosity!

Thank you for your tax-deductible contribution using the Network for Good Giving System. You may save or print this receipt for your records. It certifies that you have made this donation as a charitable contribution and you are not receiving any goods or services in return. This receipt may be useful to you when completing your tax return.

Your credit card will be billed as Network for Good instead of the names of the charities receiving the funds. All donations are final and may not be refunded. Your donation will be processed as follows:

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003
Time: 6:33 PM
Reference Number: 1000312176
Authorization: Accepted

Nonprofit Organization: First Book
Address: 1319 F St NW Ste 1000, Washington, DC 20004
Designated Project:
Dedication: Hatrack River
Amount: $505.00

An additional $40 were donated directly to First Book and dedicated to Hatrack River, bringing our grand total to $545.

If you would still like to participate, make a contribution directly of
First Book and dedicate it to Hatrack River. If you send an e-card to HatrackForum@yahoo.com with the amount, I will add it too our grand total.

Thanks to everyone who joined the project. I am overjoyed with the love and trust all of you show.

[Big Grin] Bonnie

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Here is a link to the e-card sent to Thank us for the donation
Thank You Card

The Rabbit
Member # 671

WooHoo!!! [Party]

I just checked the HatrackForum e-mail and we are now at a total of $600 donated on behalf of Hatrack River to First Book.

You people are fantastic. Your love, trust and generosity have made my Christmas season extra special.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Rabbit, I hope you can use the tax deduction. IMHO, this is small compensation for doing all the coordination on this effort. If you can't use it this year, you might be able to carry it over to a future year. I'm not sure how the tax laws work in this regard.

Anyway, the neat thing is that this worked. I'm very impressed!

- Bob

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Bob! Over here! Yeah, you do remember I do taxes, right?

Charitable contributions go on a Schedule A, and you can only deduct up to 50% of your Adjusted Gross Income. Any amount that is above that, you can certainly carry over to next year.

Of course, very few people actually donate this much of their money. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh yeah, Boon like does taxes for everyone within a 150 mile radius of her place. She knows it all!

(hi Boon! [Wave] )

So, basically Rabbit, if your adjusted gross is more than $1200, you can deduct the entire contribution this year. And welcome to it!

And if you are audited, you can give them Boon's Social Security Number.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Bob, I have a PTIN so I don't have to give my SSN to anybody...even you! [Razz]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

We had one more donation dedicated to Hatrack River. I can't update the total because the online card didn't give me the number. If you want the total to be accurate, e-mail me and let me know the amount. Otherwise I will just leave it at $600+
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.