FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good GOOGLY-MOOGLY, OSC! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good GOOGLY-MOOGLY, OSC!
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, it's just that the title of the main gay marriage thread drives me nuts. I don't know if Lalo meant it specifically to be hurtful to Mormons like myself and Card, who see the use of God's name as an epithet as one of the ultimate forms of blasphemy, but it works that way, and I wouldn't put it past him [Smile] When he uses it here and there in a post, I can read once and ignore. But reading it every single time the list of threads comes up is really freaking annoying. I'm wondering if he'd be willing to change it?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you implying that Lalo is a ferocious beast?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Not specifically, though that might be a good comparison to use in the "Proposal and Rant" thread [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Who'd be Maggie?

Hamilton?

C'mon, Geoff, you can't use a word like 'Googly-Moogly' and not answer these questions.

BTW-- It's GREAT googly-moogly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Geoff is implying that this Googly-Moogly is slightly substandard?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this Googly-Moogly is just as good as the great one, differring only in name.

Can't you see that it's just as good?

Why do you have to call it great?

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading this thread title just made me instantly think of the old Batman/Robin; and want to say "Holy *expression of your choice*, Batman!" like Robin always did.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Dog knows me pretty well. And probably knows how tempted I was to delete the entire thread in the first place. (Why I continue to be patient with such people sitting in my own virtual living room I don't know.) But I try very hard to be hands off and let hatrack govern itself where possible. But, the name of the thread is really getting to me too. So, Lalo -- I haven't given you warnings on other things I would like to -- but on this one -- change the title today or I will.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

All I have to say is that someone better come here and validate my joke.

Don't any of you watch Nickelodeon?

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried to Google Googly MOogly yet?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
One time I stared really hard at some milk.

Did I ogle moo goo?

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
"such people"??

[Frown]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking that to mean "rude people" Ayelar.

Which you aren't.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
As one of the aforementioned "such people," I think the Cards have a point.

However, you cannot deny that out of the ashes of that scorching debate, arose the Greatest Dobie of our generation. [Big Grin]

[Hail] to the Cards
[Hail] [Hail] to imogen

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Oh, I think an argument could be made that I am, in fact, quite rude. I've been told so many many times here, at least.

I was just a little surprised, because all 12 of those pages remain pretty civil and on-topic throughout. It's not like it's been overtaken by trolls we don't know, or newbies talking trash.... it's almost entirely regular posters, expressing their honest opinions.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

That is a very good Dobie. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm guessing it is mostly the title, which is insulting to our host. And we did express a lot of disapproval with his ideas.

AJ
(after typing the word "host" my next thought was, "Am I a Hatrack Parasite?")

AJ

[ February 27, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Hmm, so that brings up an interesting question.... are we under an obligation of sorts to not openly disagree with or express disapproval of the man who pays for this forum? Obviously, blatant attacks and unreasonably rude behavior shouldn't be tolerated. But if the host publishes something that really hurts or angers a lot of the people here, what should happen?

I keep trying to imagine it in the "living room" scenario, but somehow that just doesn't seem quite right. Hasn't Hatrack become more than a room in someone's private home? Doesn't it seem much more.... open than that?

*thinks*

Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep trying to imagine it in the "living room" scenario, but somehow that just doesn't seem quite right. Hasn't Hatrack become more than a room in someone's private home? Doesn't it seem much more.... open than that?

Except that the Cards own the living room, pay for its upkeep and provide us with nice leathery couches to sit upon. Not to sound rude Ayelar, but despite your opinions and words, and presence, does your contribution to the forum approach the realm of ownership?

Neither does mine.

Frankly, I'm surprised Kristine doesn't boot more people out on her virtual sidewalk.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Lovely. I think I just caused a glitch in the sofware. I logged out because I wanted to look at the TOS, because of our discussion. I think it does specify profanity as "bad" Now the little thing up in the corner says "You are not logged in. Login or Register"

But when I hit "Register" to look at the TOS, it says "you are already logged in"

And now as I'm trying to post, it still recognizes me as BannaOj even though I'm ostensibly "not logged in"
[Frown]

AJ

jehovoid
Member # 2014

So, is it a rule then, no blaspheming in thread titles? Or only in the titles of those threads which remain on the front page for a long time?
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Were I in a real living room, and the host had said something that angered me as much as OSC's column apparently angered Eddie, I probably would react in an analogous physical way. Nor would I leave without being asked. But I would not be surprised if I was asked to leave, and it would be well within the rights of the host to ask me to do so. (The analogy breaks down somewhat because spoken words cannot be edited, of course.)
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I don't think it breaks down all that much. You can restate yourself in actual conversation. If he edits, it won't change the fact that we all read it the way he originally posted it.

[ February 27, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Civil discourse has always been what hatrack is about -- I've never tossed or edited anyone for disagreeing with the ideas of the host. If you think so, you haven't been paying attention.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I *think* (can't find the TOS) that there is a general "no profanity" rule.

The moderators are normally fairly lenient on editing from what I've seen. But I think the profanity linked with our host bothers a lot of people, myself included. I understand the title's, sentiment, becuase I was left with a powerful disagreement at the end of the piece too. However, there are more polite ways to say it, that are equally as strong.

I guess my overriding sentiment was dissapointment. Yes I disagree with what OSC said, but even when I disagree, normally he says it so much better than that. To me he wasn't meeting his normal standard of writing, regardless of which side of the issue he fell on.

AJ
(I walked away from my computer before posting, and didn't see the post from our esteemed moderator)

AJ

[ February 27, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Come on, people.

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast

:shakes head: You're not even TRYING, for Pete's sake.

Heckler
Member # 648

- posted      Profile for Heckler           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
(Hatrack registration agreement)*

Were I a moderator, I would have been strongly tempted to change it to "Good Going, OSC." That's probably one of the reasons I'm not a moderator.

*Note: The registration agreement has been changed at least once, and, as the old agreement is not available, it's difficult to verify whether some members might have registered under an agreement with different terms.

[ February 27, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Heckler ]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
His last post was at 1 am, so I don't know if he's been around to see this. Also, you migh want to indicate to Lalo that this thread is about him.

Ayelar, doesn't it bother you that he used caps in his thread title? I'm not trying to be snarky, I just wondered. But then, I guess this thread title is annoying for the same reason.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

It is, indeed, jarring for me, pooka, like any all-caps word. However, since in this instance I happen to agree with the sentiment of the title, and in fact think Lalo was really understating how he felt, it doesn't bother me as much as caps-locking for no apparent reason.

If someone's trying unsuccessfully to fix their tire on the side of the road on a miserable cold night, I won't be that shocked to hear them utter the "F-word". Not surprised at all. But yelling it in the middle of a family picnic in the park.... I'd find it a lot more unsettling.

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R, I love Maggie, et al. I would rather be in the room when my kids are watching that than any other show.

I even happen to own a copy of the Maggie Board Game.

The other thing I think of when I hear or see that phrase is a commercial where a couple of grandparents are watching the kids so mom and dad can go out. Grandpa goes to change a dirty diaper, opens it up and says, "Great Googly Moogly".

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I've seen a couple of really offensive bumper stickers in my day, and wondered what I would do if that person lived on my street. What are our rights in terms of bumper stickers?

I think I remember there being a law in D.C. that if you said something profane or vulgar, and someone hit you, you could not sue them for assault. I guess it's best I never find out if that is the law in UT.

But the second word in that thread is also very offensive to Orthodox Jews. If (edit: any orthodox Jew) started a thread to this effect, would you be as offended? (Any who are offended, though I guess I'm sort of replying to Ayelar).

[ February 27, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, it's very kind of you to be worried on my behalf, but I suspect I am LESS offended (although it does bother me) by disrespectful uses of the word God than many Christians -- simply because I don't consider that to be one of His names. (There are many Jews who would disagree with me on this, which is why they would write it G-d.)

[Edit: ok, edit and make me look nuts, see if I care [Wink] ]

[ February 27, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
On the fluffy side again, any time I see "Googly Moogly" I think of Weird Al's song "Genius in France" off of Poodlehat. I love that song!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I see/hear "Great Googly Moogly," I think of the comic strip Liberty Meadows. Frank Cho is possibly the most talented artist of any comic strip creator I've ever seen. He's also pretty funny.

And no, my opinion of his art has nothing to do with the way he draws women. Nothing at all. Really.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[Wink] rivka [Wink] Sorry about the edit, I really tried to do it like instantaneously. I just didn't want to speak for you. I mean, obviously if it bothered you personally, you would already have said something. Which is why I generalized [Blushing]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are many things that bother me that I don't think I need to make an issue of. [Dont Know] And I really do appreciate your concern on behalf of others. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

pooka, I wouldn't say I'm offended by use of all-caps, though I'm mightily annoyed when I think people are using them specifically to bug me.

It's like someone with Tourette-like symptoms in public. It's not offensive (to me, anyhow), but it sure is jarring.

Ayelar
Member # 183

I could also say that I find the use of animated smileys jarring, or the color scheme of this site jarring. It doesn't mean I'll start a thread demanding that we ban or change them, it just means they're not what I would have chosen.

[The Wave]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yet the Cards OWN this place. If this were just an ordinary unofficial fan site, we could do whatever we want and protest when stuff got deleted or changed. (Even those sites have moderators.)

It's not that we can't express our opinions for or against anything OSC says, but it IS that the Cards have a right to do whatever they want on this website. (And I love it when I realize that I'm just restating what a bunch of people have said. Thanks a lot Pat! [Wink] )

And Ayelar, I agree with you on the 'purposefully' annoying capslock. That makes it worse, though it's not for me to say that anyone has done that.

[ February 27, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
UofU: Frank Cho is immediately what came to mind as well.

Even though I rank him a little bit below Bill Watterson & Berke Breathed - both of whom inspired his styles VERY much.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'll have you know even before I opened the thread I was humming the song in my head.

"Maggie and the Ferocious Beast in Nowhere Land...."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who was thinking of the Snickers commercial?

"Who are the Chefs?"

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Kristine)))))))))) You rock. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't break the Dobie. I just found out what one is, and that cod-connection one was priceless.

Show me the way to the Dobie Hall of Fame.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Never mind.

I just found the Oregon Seed Council's sod page. There will surely be more good Dobies.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And there was I thinking my dobie had been forgotten...

[Smile]

The title didn't bother me, but I'm not religous - so that's to be expected. I can completely understand why it would offend others though. How about

'Good Grief OSC'?

More palatable, and overtones of Charlie Brown...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I was thinking maybe:

"Good Gourd OSC..."

[ February 28, 2004, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Good GOAT, OSC..."? I was trying to find a "Good GOAT, OCD" web page for a dobie, but I couldn't find anything worth the effort.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good Dog, OSC..." [ROFL]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Khav, where have you been? We've missed you!

Oh, by the way [ROFL]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.