FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How powerful is a Nuke?

Author Topic: How powerful is a Nuke?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How powerful would the blast from one h-bomb be? Don't give me megaton numbers -- those don't mean anything to me.

Let's use Mt. Fuji. If somebody detonated a big h-bomb on top of it, how big a difference would it make? A small scar at tht top? The entire top gone, like Mt. St. Helens? Mt. Fuji disappearing?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on how many kilotons the bomb is. If I recall correctly, modern nukes can pretty much vaporize everything in a 50 mile radius instantly with the resulting firestorm destruction getting out to...200 miles?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about putting it into city-slicker terms.

Let's say one goes off in the center of downtown of a major city. How big is the destruction radius? I read Hiroshima a long time ago, but don't remember much.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
From the smallest nuke to be fired in anger...

Hiroshima after Fat Boy

From there, it would grow geometrically.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're saying I don't live far enough out of town, I guess... [Angst]
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You know what's kind of weird is that you have all those telephone poles standing....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that it won't vaporize everything in a 50-mile radius. That would create a large hole in the earth's crust and create the biggest volcano man has ever seen.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/sfeature/25mtblast.html

Read up on a 25 Megaton blast, and somewhere on that site you can enter some what-if scenarios...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, from what I've seen, it looks like a big nuke on top of Mt. Fuji would scar it, but it wouldn't remove the top. No Mt. St. Helens.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Suburban DC and the typical scenario of on nuke dropped directly on the White house was discussed from time to time. Lingering but inevitable death at our position, about 11 miles out.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't just say "a nuke." Nukes range from tactical atomic fission warheads designed to be used in artillery by ground troops, that might be equivalent to only 5,000 tons (five kilotons) of dynamite, up to the standard strategic hydrogen fusion warheads on Minuteman or Trident missiles rated at 20 million tons of dynamite (20 megatons). Both Russia and the U.S. have tested much more powerful H-bombs. Allegedly, the Russians denotated a 500-megaton H-bomb in Siberia, back before such testing was stopped.

As for what a strategic-level H-bomb would do to Mt. Fuji, I don't know exactly. Depends on how much rock there is and how dense it is. But in the "Operation Crossroads" tests of atomic bombs in the Bikini Atolls back in 1946, the island where the first test (code-named "Able") was conducted disappeared after the detonation of a 21 kiloton bomb; the sea closed over where it had been. I don't know what the exact size of the island was. The total surface area of the Bikini Atoll islands was about 10 square kilometers. So the one island that was vaporized was smaller than Mt. Fuji. Note that a strategic level plutonium-based hydrogen fusion bomb is about a thousand times more powerful, though.

Oh, I just found this: The "Castle Bravo" test at the Bikini Atoll in 1954 of a hydrogen fusion bomb, with a yield of about 15 megatons, had a fireball four miles in diameter, and dug a crater 250 feet deep, and 6,500 feet wide, in an island made mainly of coral.

[ March 15, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

mph, I was thinking circle, not globe. Kind of thought that was a given. Sorry I wasn't specific.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to remember that even if you don't die in the initial blast, the chances are fairly good that you'll die from radiation poisoning anyway if you're anywhere near. Do you want to know how far the destruction would extend or how far away you'd have to be to be safe from radiation?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even have to be that close, as long as the wind blows towards you from the site of the detonation. The Chyernobol(sp?) emmissions were measurable all over the place.

Another thing that also adds the distance of the damage is the height above ground that you dentonate the bomb, you would not normally want to detonate it on the surface, but up in the air a fair distace, to avoid wasting a great deal of you explosion blowing up dirt that happens to be under the bomb.

[ March 15, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: luthe ]

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure on radiation poisoning distances, but you'll always be much safer if not too far on the other side of something large and solid, like a brick wall (assuming you're outside the total destruction area). Those block a lot of radiation as well.

edit to add: a lot of that radiation can be heat radiation. You like having skin, yes? Then hope you're on the other side of a wall if within a certain radius.

[ March 15, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure on radiation poisoning distances, but you'll always be much safer if not too far on the other side of something large and solid, like a brick wall (assuming you're outside the total destruction area). Those block a lot of radiation as well.
Until you walk out from behind the wall.

BAM.

The radiation lasts a LONG time. It poisons the water, food, plants, and air. If you are outside the blast but still where the radition hits strongly, then you're pretty much toast...if not right away, then as soon as all your organs forget how to work.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
How big is a chicken?

How flavorful is a pie?

Specifics matter.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer, of course, is 7. I'm surprised you guys didn't know that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No, Noemon, that's how flavorful is a cuke.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And she turned me into a newt!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(I got better.)

Which reminds me, who recently made the unacknowledged "build a bridge out of her" reference? We have had recent Monty Python Slippage. [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI -- the most harmful radiation is the direct radiation, including (as noted) the heat. While if you remained in the area you'd probably die of some problem within a few weeks or months, if you left the area you'd have a much higher chance of surviving.

You might consider the account of the author of Barefoot Gen -- he escaped Hiroshima with significantly fewer problems than people at the same radius because he was on the other side of a brick wall. Other people at the same radius had their skin fall off.

Here are some references as to how most of the radiation from a nuclear bomb is released in the form of direct radiation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon

http://www.foody.org/atomic/atomic10.html

Notice in that last link -- about half the deaths and three fourths the injuries were caused by burns (though it is not known what percentage of those burns were from the initial blastwave and what percentage were from secondary fires). Radiation poisoning only 15%.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
No, Noemon, that's how flavorful is a cuke.
::embarassed to have made such an amaturish mistake::

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*pat, pat

*rubs your soft underbelly

[Wink]

Noemon
Member # 1115

::don't tell kat! She'll totally misunderstand!::

[Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Evil Laugh]
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, the Monty Python slippage was here in your favorite thread.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman, you said the answer was "7." I thought that Scott Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy said that the answer was 14.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Ron Lambert )))

42, you mean.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.tybeetime.com/tb/images/bomb_blast_map.gif
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

http://www.abolishnukes.com/charts/nuclear_bomb_effects_part2.html
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

http://www.lcusd.net/pcy/ww2/Hiroshima.gif
http://www.lcusd.net/pcy/ww2/Nagasaki.gif

some maps.

the prior one is a map of NYC. these two are self evident [Razz]

Pod
Member # 941

this is interesting too:

actual fall out data from us weathermaps:

http://www.h-o-m-e.org/NL1/NLbomb_testing.htm

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks, Jonny! [Smile]
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought that Scott Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy said that the answer was 14.
I think that was Douglas Adams. Blasphemer!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Ooh, right. The author was Douglas Adams, and the answer the "Deep Thought" computer came up with was "42." My mistakes. Should have checked the Internet first.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*imagines game of Scorched Earth*
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my research, thousands of hours playing Missile Command, 1 Nuke could level an entire bunker of missiles.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
One-kiloton yield equals 4.2trillion joules.
One-megaton yield equals 4.2quadrillion joules.
It takes 334thousand joules to melt a kilogram of ice.
12,574,850,000 kilograms of ice would be melted by the energy of a one-megaton explosion.
One kilogram of water fits into a 0.1metre cube.
A 2.4kilometre/1.5mile cube of ice would be melted by the energy of a one-megaton explosion.*

*Using the "9/10ths of an iceberg is underwater" water-to-ice expansion rule.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
WoW! Imagine the amount of Scotch we'd have to drink straight up if they melted all that ice.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

You might want to take plenty of iodine tablets with that, Dan, to help you withstand the effects of the radioactivity.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.