FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Condi's Possibilities

Author Topic: Condi's Possibilities
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my theory on the Bush campaign strategy. Cheney will not run as VP due to health reasons. Instead, Condaleeza Rice will run as Bush's VP. Then for the first time since she took office the republicans will make hay about her being a black woman, two firsts for the white house, and the whole racism, sexism argument will be taken away from the Kerry Camp, she highly intelligent, excelent credentials, and oh yes, a possibility to make political history.

Opinions?

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet OSC would agree with you.

--

But no, I don't think it will happen. I don't see Bush replacing Cheney.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC fielded it in an article back in March. P.S. I think Cheney is an albatross but I don't see Bush abandoning him unless he has a heart attack or is diagnosed with cancer.

[ April 20, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
See the thing is, sure Cheney is a great public speaker, and a good political base out west, but... He has large health problems and if Bush runs him, then the RNC has no one set up for President in 08, Cheney can't run with his health. With Condi, the west will still stay with him because Cheney will back him, she's a political cannister round to the Kerry camp, and she's set up for the first black, and the first woman President in 08, then Hillary will have some competition, woman versus woman, political history!
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Huh, I did not know that Pooka, what was the article called?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Cheney's western base? I guess I wasn't born in Utah, but I don't feel any attachment to the guy.

3/21 Who should really be Bush's running mate
He also proposes Powell, but Powell declined to run in 96 because his wife doesn't want to be in the spot light.

[ April 20, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
She's already been caught in at least one direct lie. Given his existing credibility problems, he can't bring someone on with that huge recent baggage.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

It's just a thing, the regional republicans would go for Cheney more so than a Southern republican, such as Bush.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Fugu, she has not been caught in a huge lie. Yet again we spar over this issue.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess it was more of an egregious whopper.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the publication of Bob Woodward's book, Powell is now extra specially hated by many conservatives. If Bush added Powell as his VP, I think many conservative voters would revolt.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Storm, most conservatives are ignoring Woodwards book.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it absolutely fascinating that Condaleeza Rice and Hillary Clinton are both referred to by their first names, or even a diminutive thereof, while the other public figures are referred to by their last names in this thread (Bush, Cheney, Kerry, Powell, even Woodward). Of course, Hillary Clinton shares a last name with another political figure, but then so does Bush (Jr).

Huh. And we refer to Orson Scott Card as OSC or Card, presumably because "Scott" or "Orson" would seem too familiar (?). Of course, he is more likely to be reading this thread, but still the pattern strikes me as odd -- and, even moreso, so does the automatic nature of the pattern.

Anyone else find this interesting? [/tangent]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to call her Rice.

Rhaegar, perhaps you would care to explain this one?

She stated that there was "nothing abou the threat of attack in the U.S." in the Presidential Daily Briefing on August 6th.

This would be the same one that has since been revealed to the public. You might recall the title: 'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States.'

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Dr. Rice is that she is an archaic Realist who borders on psychosis. If you have ever read her essay reply to Francis Fukuyama's End of History thesis then you would know exactly why she needs to be kept as far from a position of power as possible. She is a war mongerer and imperialist.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really interesting point, CT. Although cutesy nicknames are often given to Presidents, some nice, some not-so-nice (Ike, Tricky Dick, Slick Willie, Dubya), everyone seems comfortable reffering to the women by their first names even by people who claim to have tremendous respect for them.

I hearby vow to break myself of the habit.

:: Wonders if that was why that one senator had so much trouble remembering to say Dr. Rice instead of Dr. Clark during her testimony ::

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea... I tend to call her Rice simply because I hate unsolicited cutesy nicknames the way I hate shortened words like "carb".
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
docmagik, I don't really know what to make of it, and I don't have an agenda to push by pointing it out. The pattern just suddenly struck me as very odd. [Confused]

(And yes, I'm making an effort to change my speaking patterns too, as it disturbs me.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.