FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google-bombing

Author Topic: Google-bombing
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Type in "waf*fles" (without the *) in Google and see what you get.

Apparantly, there was a recent push that got Bush's site up to number 9, but he seems to have fallen off the first two pages.

Although I find this particular one amusing, this one does give me a credible platform to say that I find Google-bombing to be very immature. I even modified the link word so I wouldn't contribute to this one. Because of the way bloggers are cross-linked and posted, a relatively few people can totally screw with a search engine.

The problem is, once Google-bombing starts, the only response is more Google-bombing (see the bombing recently done to sink a hate group who had taken over the word "Jew"). A system that can be gamed so easily is rapidly going to become unreliable.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are totally right about this, Dag. The bloggers are "killing the golden goose" by google-bombing. Of course, commercial interests do it as well. Try to find a soy milk recipe using google. It's just somewhat expected of commercial websites. I'm not sure whether bloggers really want to destroy google's credibility or not. I imagine many of them are aligned with the Civil Society Institute.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
google bombs can be amusing, I find "french military victories" to be funny.

"miserable failure" has Bush and Carter at the top, Michael Moore is right under them (he used to be at # 1).

Google should tweak things so it takes a larger number of people to mess with things. It doesn't bother me as much when people do it as jokes, but if companies started using a small number of bloggers to bump their product up with certain search terms, it could be problematic (or mess with the results of their competitors).

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka:

Second result when searching for "soy milk recipe".

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty (not terribly) sure that Luna (sparkgirls.com) started that to be snarky about Jew, when it was a big thing a while ago. Jew was all over LJ, and she said, "Well, waffle."

She could have, of course, gotten it from a source that I'm unaware of. I didn't ask.

(eta: I meant google bombing it. I have no idea why waffles is sucha huge poli term.)

[ May 06, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: karen.elizabeth ]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
George W. Bush is #9 for "waffle".

John Kerry is #1 for "waffles".

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Not as of right now:

quote:
:: John Kerry for President - Welcome to JohnKerry.com! ::GET KERRY EMAIL. ...
www.johnkerry.com/ - 49k - May 4, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Recipes, Waffles - Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINEBed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE, Waffles Recipes We've got Waffles! ... Delicious? Yes: every one is innkeeper tested, and guest approved! Waffles Recipes. ...
www.bbonline.com/recipe/waffles.html - 10k - May 4, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

John Kerry's Waffles - If you don't like the Democratic nominee's ...politics, Who's winning, who's losing, and why. John Kerry's Waffles If you don't like the Democratic nominee's views, just wait a week. ...
slate.msn.com/id/2096540/ - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

hotwaffles.comhotwaffles.com;http://s93361401.onlinehome.us;.
www.hotwaffles.com/ - 1k - Cached - Similar pages

Western Waffles Flash HomePageextranet, Western Waffles produces over 2 million waffles per day; translating into 25 waffles per second. site design © 2003 bSmart ...
www.westernwaffles.com/ - 6k - May 4, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

BABELBelgian Waffles In a way, you could say that there are no "Belgian" waffles, but there is rather a whole bunch of varieties. ... Flemish Waffles. ...
www.geocities.com/SoHo/2830/bbwaff.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

waffles on webwaffles on web.
www.waffles.jp/ - 1k - May 4, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Lee Stranahan - Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles PageTHE BEST WAFFLES IN THE WORLD!!!! Okay, a lot of people find the ideas of Chicken and Waffles on the same plate odd. I used to find it odd, but I like odd. ...
users.aol.com/stranahan/roscoes.htm - 7k - May 4, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Recipes Today: Cinnamon Pecan WafflesCinnamon Pecan Waffles. 1 ¾ cup ... brown. Repeat until all the batter and nuts are used. Serve the waffles with our homemade Apple Syrup. http ...
recipestoday.com/recipes/main/cpwaffles.htm - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

USATODAY.com - Kerry gets served up with 'waffles'... t like the Democratic presidential candidate are trying to make his campaign Web site, johnkerry.com, the first answer to a search of the word waffles on Google ...
www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/ president/2004-04-11-kerry-

Of course, moveon.org's ad to the right is interesting.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
Not as of right now

What do you mean? John Kerry is the first result. I'm assuming that's the result for waffles, since that's exactly what I got.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Blushing]

Didn't notice the missing "s" on the Bush link.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.