FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hearby declare war on the caterpillar population.

Author Topic: I hearby declare war on the caterpillar population.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I stepped on one of the gross-looking hairy ones this morning. Barefoot. And it was in my apartment complex, not even on the sidewalk!

One foot is now twice the size of the other, not to mention partially numb. Stupid bugs. [Mad]

[ May 09, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch!

Hope you feel better.

Bugs are gross.

[ May 09, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Nathan
Member # 6114

- posted      Profile for Hot Nathan           Edit/Delete Post 
Since she is absent as of present, I'll speak for her. Celia declares her alliegance to you and your war on the creatures she dislikes.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
YUCK!

I have been telling my kids not to touch them, of course, the little ones find them fascinating. Your story just reinforces the need for me to drive that message home.

Feel better!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awful! I think they should wage war on you, you animal-killer! You didn't even eat it, did you? Argh, you kill-for-sport people make me sick!

*sigh*

Sorry, camping with vegetarians can play tricks on your mind.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
OW OW OW OW OW OW!

You have my deepest sympathies, I know (all TOO well) how that feels. OW! Cold water helps a bit...not much, though. [Frown] You have my support in this war. KILL THEM ALL, I say!

Da Goat-step on one. I dare you. These things are public safety hazards, and even vegetarians should join the hunt! These are not animals, they are demonic servants of satan! (lesser servants, stinging people painfully is about all they can do) BUT STILL! they must be DESTROYED!

[ May 09, 2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Actually, because the swelling is continuing, my father says that if it spreads into my leg (it's already up to my ankle; the sting was just behind the ball of my foot), I have to go to the hospital.

Die, vile insects!

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
You people know nothing about the vileness of insects until you have experienced early July in Alaska. The Mosquito is our state bird.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Caterpillars can sting you?!

Great, one more arthropod to add to the phobia list...

Hope your foot feels better soon!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you link me to this caterpillar? I've gotta have some "actionable intelligence" if I'm going to declare war on an insect. [Smile] People would think I'm weird if I just started smashing caterpillars AND spiders.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Apparently, it's called a puss caterpillar. That article has a picture. They're brown and disgusting.

Does anybody know anything more about them? Like, how worried should I be?

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwwww

Noone ever told ME caterpillars could sting. I used to play with caterpillars.

From the reading I did, you appear to be having a localized swelling reaction. To reduce inflammation, use ice on it. A bag of frozen vegetables applied for 15 minutes every 4 hours works pretty well. Consider ibuprofen 600mg 3-4 times a day with food (or 2 aleves twice a day) and consider adding benadryl or claritin and follow the instructions on the bottle. That's pretty much what I tell people with bee stings too. And you probably already read about putting tape across the site to peel off any remaining spines from your skin.

A severe systemic reaction would have occurred more quickly, I would think. However any trouble breathing, wheezing, or any swelling in your upper body and you should seek help immediately.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No... Don't kill them.. they become butterflies and moths which are very benificial and nice...
Caterpillars are cute as long as they do not sting... All the ones I've caught even the one bigger than my finger never stung.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because in New England we don't have poisonous things.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

no, kill them. Just that species. The butterflies from them do not even BEGIN to compensate for the evilness of these caterpillars.

Really. You have no idea how the stinging FEELS. Or the trauma caused to all the poor little small children who step on them. Or the parents of those children. Or the adults who step on them.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it's pretty rough on the caterpillar, too.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

that's right, sympathize with them! THEY ARE THE ENEMY! IF YOU"RE NOT WITH US, YOU"RE AGAINST US, AND WE WILL DESTROY YOU ALONG WITH THEM!!!!

*grins* see what finals stress can do????

[ May 10, 2004, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, you ok? Any more swelling?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
her current AIM away:
quote:
Hospital, yo.
So it looks like we finally talked her into it. It only took everyone's insistance, her entire leg being numb, and webMD.com saying to immediately contact a health care professional.

here's hoping she gets better without incident. [Eek!]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap.

I'm SO glad to live in LA, where we worry only about easy crap like earthquakes and terrorist attacks and Ahnuld seperating California from the rest of the country.

Worrying about a future role in When Caterpillars Attack! would break my fragile nerves...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
lalo,

separate!

please!

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The doctor said that it was nothing to worry about. He gave me some Benadryl and some painkillers and ice and sent me home. [Smile]

Now, I have to wait for the pain and the numbness to go away. Caterpillars will pay.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you see pH, this is a perfect opportunity to recreate a great moment in literature.

Just think of yourself as Ender, and the caterpillars as the Buggers.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Caterpillars don't actually sting, their poison is (I think) stored in those hairs that often run the length of their bodies. Another nonverbal "Hands Off" sign courtesy Mother Nature, so to speak. Of course, stepping on them barefoot stinks. [Frown] Glad you're beginning to feel better-and I had no idea they were THAT poisonous!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make the mistake of declaring war on a near invincble enemy, pH - you cannot win!
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft! Invincible?

*squish* *squish* *SQUISH*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it one of those juicy green one with either the blue or red thorn? I was fascinated with those as a child.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the moth poisonous too? If not, where does the poison go while they pupate?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm pretty sure that the poison-tipped spines are shed during pupation.
Javert
Member # 3076

[propaganda]But when they become moths they are able to shoot bigger and more powerful stings with deadly accuracy![/propaganda]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have inadvertantly joined your army, and have made an irredeemable enemy of all Caterpillars.

I stepped on one today in my kitchen.

Left quite a mess.

Yuck

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Javert, that would have been a much cooler weapon for Mothra than some cheesy wind.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

These are the enemies: Caterpillar and Moth.

Learn what they look like. They must all be destroyed. TO WAR!!!

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
No, pH posted a link above to a picture, Alexa.

You are probably referring to hornworms, which are pretty harmless except to gardeners and farmers.
One of those pests that I never know quite what to do with. Too cute to kill. Yet I do like having fresh-picked tomatoes, green peppers, etc.
Usually, I ended up collecting them off the plants, then dumping them off in the woods or wild fields nearby. Knowing their chances of survival there are zilch: wrong plants foodwise, and too many other critters find them tasty treats.

[ May 10, 2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now don't make me come in here...

Mommy Bugga Bugga [Mad]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeepers, Jenny, it took you long enough!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding.. I was expecting you hours ago! [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
ouch, they also destroy flowers...they are hungry and they sting, a bad combo.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I demand that the spelling be corrected on the title of this thread.

EVERYONE knows it CAPERTILLAR!

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been busy planting things for the caterpillars to eat...

[Taunt]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.