FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How would you react if your child came out as fey?

Author Topic: How would you react if your child came out as fey?
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you try to return her to the Fairy Queen?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
*Stabs self in eye with really big knife*
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd e-mail Jenny Gardener for advice. [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*prepares hot fire with poker resting in it and boiling cauldron of water for potato peeling "soup"*

[Angst]

[ February 22, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone ever read this book? It was very interesting.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd e-mail Jenny Gardener for advice.
Ditto. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds kinda gruesome....
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, yes. Have you ever heard the old changeling stories?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a book my sister gave me about a child o' the fey that became a changeling 'cause she was only half fey and wasn't magical enough. I can't recall the title off the top o' my head.

Minus the gruesome. [Wink]

[ February 22, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a good Hellboy story about that.

Also, I read a book called the Moorchild which was like that. It was young adult fantasy.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, it was "The Moorchild"! Thanks!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

I think I've heard mostly sugarised versions.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. Let's see.

Here's a page on collected changeling stories, although most of them aren't as well-told as the ones my dad read me.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

Cool. Now I have an excuse to sit at the 'puter all afternon.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, now I'm just waiting for the next step in the series... It's unavoidable.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A better-told Welsh changeling tale.

My favorite as a child was the one my dad told:

There was a good, pious woman who tried for many years to have a child, but those she concieved, with much difficulty, died young or were born dead. Finally, she went to seek the advice of a wise woman the next village over. The wise woman told her that the Good Folk had been cursing her and taking the children who were born alive because of an old feud between her husband and the Good Folk. She told this woman to have her husband make a cradle of oak for the next child, and hang a sprig of ash over it. She must go to Mass every day and say prayers for the safety of her child.

When next the woman concieved, she did all she had been told, and the baby was born healthy. However, when the child was less than a year old, he got sick, and when he recovered, he was poorly, never smiled, yellow, and cried all the time. The woman went to see the wise woman once more.

"Ah, yes," the wise woman told her, "The Good Folk have taken your own little one and left one of theirs in his place. Here is what you must do..." And she told the woman how to get her child back from the Good Folk.

That night, she went about her business, preparing a meal as usual. She set the cauldron on the fire, and peeled the potatoes. Instead of giving the peels to the pigs, however, she went and put them in the pot. All of a sudden, her child spoke.

"What are ye doin', Mam?" it asked. The voice was that of an old man.

"I'm making a soup of the potato peelings," she said, though she trembled inside to hear her little babe speak in such a manner.

"Why are you doing that?" asked the child.

"It's a wonderful cure for all sorts of things," said the woman.

"I've seen many things in my five hundred years, but I've never seen potato peelings made into soup!" said the child who was not a child.

"Why don't you come over here and try it for yourself?" asked the mother.

The changeling, out of curiosity, came near the fire. As he did, the mother crossed herself, shouted, "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, give me back my child!", and, grabbing the evil creature, plunged the red-hot poker that had lain in the fire down his throat. Immediately, there was an unholy, unearthly scream, and the changeling flew up the chimney in a rush of air. The mother was left holding her own precious child, and the Good Folk bothered her no more.

It's related to "A Brewery of Eggshells", but I've always loved the way it was told best of all. [Smile]

[ February 22, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, kq. I wonder who the equivalent of the Grimm brothers was was responsible for collecting it?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, glad to help. [Big Grin] Thought that might be it. I liked that book.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, it was one of my sister's favorites, and she thought I might like it because I often felt like a "changeling" growing up.

I remember reading it and thinking about the implication of the actual history upon which it was based. If people back then really thought their child was a changeling, and the only way to get their own back was to burn that child....

*shudder*

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! Having your child as one of the Fair Folk! ROCK ON!

I'd party down like it was Midsummer's Eve!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

bev, that's what the book I linked to is about: an actual murder trial where the family thought their daughter was a changeling and subjected her to cruel rituals to try to get her back. [Frown]

It was good, though.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Moor Child was such a cute nice book. Read it. It was lovely.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:

I know! You'd think so, right?

But after reading the book (Moor Child), I can understand a bit better the reasoning. It was far more "mild" than the book KQ linked to (*shudder* again) but it explained a bit about these changelings being unresponsive, without human warmth and affection, sickly, alien.

Just think of all the medical situations that could lead a superstitious couple to believe their child was "alien" in this way and must be killed in order for them to get their "real" child back! How sad!

[ February 22, 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

quote:

That's what we tend to so. In fact, one of Livvie LeFay's favorite songs is titled "Midsummer", and she loved going to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

But wow, Bev, you're right, it's scary to think of parents of a sick child thinking they had to burn it or throw it in a river. [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And not just sick. Also autistic, and autistic spectrum disorders, and all kinds of other things.

I'd actually like to see an academic examination of this; whether this was a justification for "herd thinning", or what.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.