FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Southern Gentleman's Introduction

Author Topic: A Southern Gentleman's Introduction
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. My name Is, of course, Jerrod Fortner. I am 15 years of age as of March 8, and I have still not gotten my permit. I am an avid reader, as well as a hardcore gamer. I am an Animal rights population controller (Aka, Hunter, or to members of PETA, a cold-blooded killer.) I am six foot tall, I play football as a tackle for the calera eagles. I only began reading Mr.Card's novels a few months ago (Started in November), but he holds the top spot in my mental Author rating. I have written many short stories, Including some Fan fiction for Aliens, Predator, Aliens versus Predator, Halo, Warhammer 40,000 and Reign of Fire. I am not even going to attempt to write fan fiction for the Ender or shadow series, one because I can not hold a candle up to Mr Card's amazing Writing abilities, and two because I dont have much money and I can't afford a copyright infringement Lawsuit. I spend most of my time Alone in my room, reading stories or talking with My girlfriend, Alyssa. Thank you for hearing me out.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome to Hatrack Jerrod.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, partner! (Or would that be a midwestern greeting?) [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hullo [Wave]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you hunt for the sheer joy of keeping animal population down and not because you like killing animals. [No No]
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Animal rights population controller
I'll have to use that sometime. I like it.

Velcome. I would say more, but I have a backlog of papewrwork to do and have to get to it.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
6 feet tall at 15 huh? People call you big guy, too I bet. I've always hated that nickname...Anyway, welcome to the 'Rack.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jerrod! Welcome from a southern lady. I live in Alabama.

Most of my family and friends hunt, my husband doesn't because he doesn't have much time for it, but he still goes to the range to keep his skills up when he can.

I hope you enjoy it here at hatrack. Consider submitting something to our guess the author game - you can have fun and get some great critiques from fellow writers and readers of OSC.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
What part of Bama? Im in shelby county.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

jebus202
Member # 2524

posted March 26, 2005 02:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure you hunt for the sheer joy of keeping animal population down and not because you like killing animals.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir, I am offended. I am not a sadist. I do not kill for fun. Hunters are the greatest Conservationists, for if we let the Population of animals explode, the food would run out extremely fast, resulting in sickly animals and eventual starvation and extinction. There is a place in Alabama called oak mountain. They did not control there population of deer and the animals began getting thinner and thinner. Also, the genetic variation in the population became to little, and the offspring were born deformed and sickly. They eventually had to bring in shrpshooters and they also held a hunting day to bring the numbers down.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Jerrod, don't let the jebus bother you. He does that to everyone I think. He typically takes any oportunity to have an argument.
[Razz] -jebus

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

And yes, Howdy is midwestern, not southeastern.
(Ps: Auburn Tigers rule!)

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I was raised in Alabama. Mobile to be exact. Nice to meetcha sir, but ROLL TIDE!!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What , you out of laundry detergent or something? [Big Grin]

Nice to meet you J!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been any farther south than Philadelphia.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Sir, you are totally bullshitting.

Seriously, I can understand hunting for pleasure, I'd like to try it myself some time. But going out there and shitting about for ages until you find an animal to shoot and then calling it "thinning out their numebrs" is laughable.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us use it as an excuse to get away from the women folk (hunting that is). I of course am happily single, so I used it as an excuse to go up to my grandfather's house and slam a few beers back each night and watch the Red Wings. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Elf
Member # 7650

- posted      Profile for An Elf           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.... I'd give you advice, but I'm trying not to give this handle away....
Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Then why don't you just use your other one, Steve?

[Razz]

[ March 26, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Elf
Member # 7650

Nope... Try again....

[Razz]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the most insane place on earth (not on the net though... lol)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Elf: You definitely just gave yourself away! I had an inkling in the bored elf thread, but now, there's absolutely zero doubt in my mind. [Razz]

And welcome, Jerrod. [Smile]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Elf
Member # 7650

some day... I'm so going to show up at the library and make alot of noise just for you...
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Jerrod! Nice to see you! Stick around! [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Welcome to hatrack!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taelani
Member # 7562

- posted      Profile for Taelani   Email Taelani         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from northern 'Bama, welcome to the insanity that is Hatrack [Smile]
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some of us use it as an excuse to get away from the women folk (hunting that is). I of course am happily single, so I used it as an excuse to go up to my grandfather's house and slam a few beers back each night and watch the Red Wings.
Any excuse to watch the Red Wings is okay by me, and I consider myself mildly an animal rights supporter. I'm just not a PETA wacko.

And is howdy really a midwest thing? I've never heard anyone in Michigan say howdy, or are we too north in the midwest to say it?

Anyway, welcome Jerrod, my first instinct is to dislike you because you are four inches taller than me, and six years younger. But I'll set that aside for the moment. [Big Grin]

[ March 27, 2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus - Jerrod is exactly right about Oak Mountain state park - it was big news around here. Because hunting was forbidden in the park, they had an out of control deer population. All the deer's natural predators are extinct in this part of the country. They did need to bring hunters in to take the population down.

I see deer on average about once a week while driving - they're a real hazard. You run into one with your car and it can be quite dangerous. We have deer that come into our yard regularly. Alabama is thick in deer. Hunters around here don't spend weeks and weeks sitting in tree stands without bringing deer home. I know quite a few people who get enough deer in a season to supply them with meat for the year. One of my friends was giving away venison, he had so much.

So yes, in Alabama, hunters do indeed thin out the numbers.

Jerrod, I'm in St Clair county, my brother and sister in law live in Pelham. I used to work in Inverness so I'm well familiar with Shelby county, especially 280 and 31. I also go to Jeff State right now and I have to go to the Scrushy campus on Valleydale once or twice a month. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

You know, I am amazed that there are so many people from alabama in here. It makes me proud to be able to shove those sterotypical remarks some people make about us right down their throats. But, anyways, I am glad to be here, and perhaps I will talk to Mr. Card eventually. It would be really neat, and I would be able to brag to my friends (Not to mention my girlfriend) about how I talked to my favorite author. Surely the literary deities there must be are smiling upon me, LOL. The first time I ever saw one of his stories was when I rented a book from the library. I think it was somewhere along the lines of "Great military Fiction of the twentieth century", though it has been a few years. In it was the short story edition of Ender's Game, which I immediately became addicted to. It took me a long time to find the full novelization, but I did and I am currently going to the Books-a-million near here to get the last three books of the Shadow series. Hooray! [The Wave]
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

Also, Jebus, venison is a much healthier alternative to beef as it is leaner and it has great natural flavoring. My family swore off beef after mad cow disease became a big issue, and so to supply ourselves with enough protein, we HAVE to hunt Deer.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah - as long as they don't have that wasting disease.... [Taunt]

Hey - I have no idea where Shelby county is -- is that anywhere near Valley, Alabama?

My nephew just moved to Valley, to work there. My sister tells me she visited for a week, and couldn't believe how ALL food is fried down there! She said there weren't any menu choices that weren't fried!...

[Big Grin]
So she fasted for a couple of days when she got back, to make up for it.

Farmgirl (Kansas)

Oh -- and Welcome Jerrod!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Beef and venison are the only available protein sources in Alabama!?! [Eek!]

(Welcome to Hatrack)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

Well, we have lots of fish, but it depends on the weather whether or not we can catch anything. Crappie should be spawning right now, but it hasnt been too warm the past few weeks and so they havent yet. As soon as the dogwoods bloom we'll be able to catch a ton. Also, Bass are really great sportfish, as well as Catfish, and everything we catch and keep is Fileted and sealed, to be used for supper a few nights later or for a fish fry during the summer.
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

And wasting disease really only affects inbred or starving deer populations, as I stated earlier. Normally the affected Deer die before they can spread it to others.
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Jebus - Jerrod is exactly right about Oak Mountain state park - it was big news around here. Because hunting was forbidden in the park, they had an out of control deer population. All the deer's natural predators are extinct in this part of the country. They did need to bring hunters in to take the population down.

I see deer on average about once a week while driving - they're a real hazard. You run into one with your car and it can be quite dangerous. We have deer that come into our yard regularly. Alabama is thick in deer. Hunters around here don't spend weeks and weeks sitting in tree stands without bringing deer home. I know quite a few people who get enough deer in a season to supply them with meat for the year. One of my friends was giving away venison, he had so much.

So yes, in Alabama, hunters do indeed thin out the numbers.

Whether or not the end-result is indeed the thinning out of their numbers isn't really my point. It's the motivation.

[ March 29, 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, does Alabama still have those drive through burger places? They had some damn good fries. It was one of the few things I liked about living there besides that big library I got to go to one time.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

Well, There are still a few places like that in scattered areas, but I am afraid there isnt one near where I live.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.