FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have an Idea!

Author Topic: I have an Idea!
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people in my school have really great Ideas for stories, but they never have the time or encouragement to write them. I had the idea to start a Young Authors club in my school. Do Y'all think this is a good idea?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it. You might talk to the head of the English Dept to see what they’ve tried before or what not. Plus you usually need a teacher as a sponsor for school clubs. Also, I’d suggest of thinking of a cooler name then Young Authors Club. Who likes being called young? Maybe “(Insert School Mascot Here) Writers Association”
Good luck.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent idea! Our high school also started an annual publication (poems and artwork mostly, but some short stories).

I agree on the name thing. Something cooler than "young authors" would be in order.

Our publication was named "the Oracle." That was good.

We had some people who illustrated the poems. Very cool stuff!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Jerrod, I'm running one right now at a local middle school! It goes by the dumb name of the "Young Writers' Club", but it's been wonderful. You might try, at first, just getting together and sharing your work. Then you could work through something like Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones". We're currently using her idea of writing practice. Also, we share "marketing information" each week, which basically is information on websites/magazines/contests, etc. that the kids can submit to.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I really appreciate this. I am going to talk to my English Teacher, Coach Waid, to see if he will sponsor it. What do yall think of the Eagles' Writing Association?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Eagles are cool. Extra cool.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you luck!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it! Let me know if you want any long-distance mentoring. I do believe Fugu was working on setting up my Young Writer's Guild mentoring website at one point.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.