FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texas Outlaws Homosexuals from Providing Foster Care

Author Topic: Texas Outlaws Homosexuals from Providing Foster Care
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Free Republic article

You can get the article most places, and I even found the exact bill (it's SB 6) on the Texas legislature website, but it was a lot of gibberish I didn't have time to wade through.

What does everyone think of this?

Apparently, much of the proof of this is based on 'research' done in Illinois, that has since proven to be a compilation of information from unverifiable web sites. This research said that kids in homosexual foster care homes were 11 times more likely to be abused. (That part I got from the Daily Show).

I don't know. I don't believe that statistic, or at least I'd want to see the sources to verify it for myself. It's not only discrimination, it's stupid to cut off a viable support system for children escaping bad living situations. And especially so since many male/female home situations also result in sexual abuse.

Furthermore, there is a provision in the bill that allows the family services people check into your background to make sure you aren't lying about your sexuality. This seems an overstepping of their invasion of privacy. A certain amount is warranted, they need to make sure it's a fit home for a child, but your sexual history? Seems over the top, and overly invasive.

My concern is more the safety of those kids than gay rights. Don't get me wrong, gay rights are important, and I believe they should be equal. But I'd need to see more statistics and reports from both sides to come up with a more informed decision.

Edit to add: I searched for this post on Hatrack and couldn't find it. If there is one already started, just point me in its direction so I can kill this thread.

[ May 03, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This research said that kids in homosexual foster care homes were 11 times more likely to be abused.
If that were an even remotely justifiable statement, Focus on the Family and like groups would be shouting from the rooftops. I think I'll hold onto my extreme skepticism.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that all the research I've seen refutes that statistic, I'd be incredibly surprised if it were remotely accurate.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Depressing, as there are not enough foster homes as it is. They should screen each home carefully, but overlook homosexuality I think.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, Focus on the Family was the group on CNN trumpeting that statistic as the nail in the coffin.

If anyone has any credible stats, I'd appreciate posts on them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Texas system is looking for "quick fix" reforms, and that's not a good thing. It's a very poor foster care system, they should be focusing on other things. I do not advocate a homosexual lifestyle. In fact, I think it's wrong. But there are far too many children in desperate need of any kind of decent home that it's abhorrently immoral to allow any couples, regardless of orientation, to be excluded from providing an otherwise stable, caring, safe home environment, when so many children are in bad, bad situations in foster homes, and so many more are in need of homes, period.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the requirements to be a foster parent in Texas:

Texas Foster Care
quote:
The prospective foster/adoptive parents may be single or married and must:

* be at least 21 years of age, financially stable, and responsible mature adults,
* complete an application (staff will assist you, if you prefer),
* share information regarding their background and lifestyle,
* provide relative and non-relative references,
* show proof of marriage and/or divorce,
* agree to a home study which includes visits with all household members,
* allow staff to complete a criminal history background check and an abuse/neglect check on all adults in the household, and
* attend free training to learn about issues of abused and neglected children.

These requirements seem rather lax and adding sexual orientation to the list appears out of place. It seems like information into the stability of a person's sex life would be relevant in assessing the potential for abuse. However, discriminating simply based on sexual preference is blatant prejudice.

[Edited to fix link.]

[ May 03, 2005, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but you're missing the obvious fact that the presence of homosexuality, deviant sexual practices, or even excess gromming products in male bathrooms automatically indicates abuse, promiscuity, and that other icky stuff. You have to start with that assumption or none of this makes sense.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't gay people be good parents?

Because they may confuse the child about "appropriate sex roles."

What is the harm in that?

The children may try the gay lifestyle.

If they become gay they can not have children of their own.

Yes, but could they foster care for other children?

No.

Why not.....

See the circle--be the circle.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
Should this law pass, it is a sad day in these United States...where people finally are guilty until proven innocent...and guilty on BS "evidence"...
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanecer, the thing is that many of those rules are not followed. I've heard several times that parents went to take the training, only to find it was not currently being offered more than twice a year due to budget issues in their area; you can get provisional permission to be a foster parent before an adequate home study is done, and sometimes that can be up to a year. There is a huge social worker shortage right now, and even though they do their best, their caseloads are far too heavy. There have been several cases lately of children dying in abusive situations whose social workers did not check up on them or did not respond to calls. [Frown]

[ May 03, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't gay people be good parents?

Because they may confuse the child about "appropriate sex roles."

Since society and peers have no influence, and since all historically mandated sex roles are always good.

The children may try the gay lifestyle.

Unless they are not gay and have been raised with a sense of responsibility towards themselves and others. If they are gay and have raised in such a manner then I'd expect they would try the "lifestyle," whatever that is.

If they become gay they can not have children of their own.

True. Unless they also foster/adopt, as their parents did. Or unless they have children from a previous marriage. Or unless they use artificial insemination and/or a host mother, depending on their needs.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

As I said, I think the state is looking for a "quick fix" solution to the foster care problem.

This is not it.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What they need is more foster parents, more good people willing to take children in, more social workers to screen the parents, but NOT based on something as arbitrary as sexual orientation, or if they are single or anything ridiculous like that.
By focusing exclusively on homosexuality they over look other problems and it's how you end up with situations like the one that happened to a young boy a few months ago.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
The gist of the evidence of these Illinois studies are (as I understand them) this: some foster parents abuse children in their charge. Male foster parents sexually abuse male charges 11% of the time. Therefore, abusers are gay, and gay people are abusers, and bad potential parents.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can be sure I've written my rep. about this.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that "understanding" from the study should be really easy to refute if it collected, oh, any other evidence whatsoever. Got a link, even to something that names the study, I don't suppose?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

The study itself appeared in Psychological Reports, which isn't readily available online. Here is a conservative news article on World Net Daily quoting the study which is what I'm basing my understanding on.

Here is the text of it:

quote:
A six-year study of sexual abuse committed by foster parents in Illinois found a highly disproportionate percentage of the cases were homosexual in nature.

About one-third were same-sex while estimates are that no more than 3 percent of people in the general population say they engage in homosexual acts.

An article in the March issue of the peer-reviewed publication Psychological Reports presented data analyzed by Dr. Paul Cameron, chairman of the Colorado-based Family Research Institute.

Cameron believes it's likely the Illinois figures reflect the situation among the nation's estimated half-million foster children.

"What's shocking, is that 34 percent of the molestations were homosexual," Cameron told the Illinois Leader.

According to a DCFS spokeswoman, the agency does not track the sexual orientation of prospective foster or adoptive parents.

"We track our foster and adoptive parents on the basis of their being single or married. That's it," Marjorie Newman told the paper last year.

The agency would not say whether the information would lead to a change in policy.

The study showed 1 percent of Illinois foster and subsidized-adoption children are molested and 3 percent are abused physically every year.

"Professional societies are so taken with gay rights they are ignoring the evidence," said Cameron. "Just last year, the American Psychological Association [APA] declared opposition to 'discrimination against lesbian or gay parents adoption, child custody and visitation, foster care and reproductive health services.'"

Cameron added, "How does the APA answer this new evidence?"

Last year, Newman said the DCFS does not "discriminate based on gender, race, sexual orientation, sexual preference. There is no law that says that a gay or lesbian person cannot adopt."

The Leader acquired information from DCFS through the Freedom of Information Act indicating most sexual abuse of children was by foster fathers, but that foster mothers were responsible for over three-fourths of physical abuse.

The study found 966 foster parents violated their charges. Of those who engaged in both physical and sexual abuse, eight of the 15 abused children of their own sex.

Cameron said Illinois, which has about 60,000 children in 4,300 foster or adoption-subsidized homes, was the first state to disclose details about abuse.

Based on that, it's clear that self-definition as a gay person is not how they're deciding whether a person counts as gay. If you're male and have molested boy-children, then you're gay, even if your adult-adult relationships are heterosexual. This seems to me like an entirely self-referential way to decide gay-ness.

In other words:

Some males choose to molest boy-children. We'll call these people (for lack of a better term) gays. Some adult males prefer to partner with other adult males. They call themselves gay. Therefore people of this latter category, given the opportunity, would molest boy-children. Therefore all adult males who would choose to partner with other adult males may not have access to children.

You could just as easily do it with heterosexual adults-- if eight of fifteen molesters molested people of their same gender, then that means that seven of fifteen molested people of the opposite gender! Therefore straights are molesters!

[ May 03, 2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: dean ]

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'll call these people (for lack of a better term) gays.
Yeah, so sad to see so many failing to notice that particular flaw in the study. You can make statistics say anything you want pretty easily when you're willing to make nonsensical definitions into conclusions.

There is a better term: male-male molesters. But how silly of me to expect accurate descriptive terminology from a study with a forgone conclusion.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is a huge social worker shortage right now, and even though they do their best, their caseloads are far too heavy. There have been several cases lately of children dying in abusive situations whose social workers did not check up on them or did not respond to calls.
[Frown]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Psychological Reports (which, incidentally, I've never heard of) doesn't have e-resources available, so I can't speak to the actual article. However, I can tell you that it's not a APA journal, and that it's one of two journals published by Ammons Scientific. I have no idea what they consider peer-review, but if the article actually uses that argument as pertaining to homosexuals, it can't be all that reputable.

Dr. Cameron has apparently been censured and thrown out of the APA and the ASA for ethical violations concerning his history of fabricating and putting unjustifiable conclusions on evidence.

The APA resolution that was mentioned by the WorldNetDaily article above was one condemning the prejudicial treatment of homosexuals in adoption and foster parent decisions based largely on falsified and/or methodologically and ethically unsound research. It was the APA finding that reputable research did not exist in anywhere near sufficient levels to justify this treatment.

But I mean, if you don't let them make their evidence up, where are they going to get it?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

You pay approxamately forty dollars per page to "publish" in Psychological Reports.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm wondering: does anyone dispute that these people are, by any reasonable definition, bigots?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nope.

This makes me so mad. I've seen firsthand the problems a shortage of foster care creates, and I'm aware of the situation for foster children in TX, and it just makes me want to scream that they're excluding qualified foster parents on the basis of sexual preference or orientation.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.