FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writing for free ... Why do you do it?

Author Topic: Writing for free ... Why do you do it?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fascinated by sites like Epinions and About.com (and the now defunct askme.com), where many writers contribute high-quality writing in exchange for little or no money.

If you have written for those sites (or similar sites) before, can you tell me why you were motivated to make such time-consuming contributions? Is it the prestige of being designated an expert? Is it a way to practice writing?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>can you tell me why you were motivated to make such time-consuming contributions?

Well, not for those sites, no.

But for Slash's RPG, I write for free. And I think that everyone involved makes up a pretty compelling story.

I do it because the collaboration is exciting. I have complete control over my own character; but I have no control over the events in his life. That can be kind of heady. I don't know what the DM or other players are going to throw out. That sort of situation (X-TREME WRITING! WAHOOOO!) is exciting for me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Scott, I had not considered collaboration as a motivator. That is a very useful insight. [Smile]

[ July 20, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not written for any of those sites, but I have written "for free" in some cases, like writing plays for church. I do it because if writing is only ever about money, then I don't want to do it anymore. I do it because I love creating, pure and simple. I do it because everything I write makes me a better, more experienced writer and can only help me if I do decide to pursue publication once more, some time in the future.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Glory. Honor. Immortality.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only offer an analogy.

I'm a musician. I play around Lafayette once or twice a week, usually a solo acoustic thing. I get paid, but very little (50 bucks a night + tips or something along those lines). And the money I do make, I put it all back into my music (strings, amps, equipment, and maybe a new guitar one day). Because the money makes up none of my income, I take the financial aspect out of my music.

I play because it makes me happy. It's fun, and I enjoy it. If I reach a point where that's not the case, I'll stop. But because it's not my job, I don't have to stress it. There's no "I gotta play tonight, rent's due". I have a real job to take care of that stuff. The "business" aspect of music is disgusting.

That's why I do it for free. I can only assume some of those reasons apply to writers. You hone your craft, but in a less stressfull manner.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Money is not the only way to be compensated for work.

Why are people writing these posts at Hatrack and answering your questions if they are not getting paid? Why am I? Hmmm...

On second thought, you will recieve your bill in the mail... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
on sites like epinions and wikipedia, people are not paid with money...but they get a sort of respect from the users which is a kind of payment. It is why amazon lists its "top reviewers." I think one reason people write great reviews is that they want to be recognized as a great reviewer. I don't think that is the only reason though. People like collaboration, a sense of community, and the feeling of a job well done as well.

*edit*
It is also along the same lines of message board admins. Why does Pappa Moose take the time to admin this site...and clean things up when they get out of hand? My guess is that he likes to help out OSC. Thats the reason why I help admin Goodkind's site. I don't actually get paid money for it (though I do get signed books sometimes) but I enjoy doing it...and I like the other 4 people that admin the site.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to me to be less of a writing issue than a chance to influence other people. For example, if I have a really good experience with a product, I'm going to tell everyone I know, and recommend it to them. In the long run, I'm helping myself because I'm giving the good company more business. Likewise, if I'm horribly disappointed in a product (or customer service!), then I will spread that information around. Writing a review online just means that my audience is bigger.

Besides, it's easy to write opinions. People on Hatrack do it all the time. Anyone with a reasonable grasp of writing can do it.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks for the great responses so far. [Smile]

A little background may help. I'm creating a hobby site and I'm looking for guest contributors who would write about the hobby for free.

Aside from giving special credit such as "Top Reviewers" to the best contributors, what are some other things a webmaster can do to recognize the special contributions a volunteer writer has made to the community?

I've considered creating nice profile pages where volunteer writers can showcase their other interests and talents. I've also considered giving the authors banner space, where they could insert their own commissionjunction or amazon banners, so they can benefit from their own traffic.

Well, I guess I could also write a book and create characters based on your names, but I think it means very little coming from me. [Smile]

Am I missing any other incentives?

Xap, I'm still sending residuals to Tres, so wait your turn. [Wink]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get paid extra for writing my columns, but I love being able to reach that many people every week. Also it gets my name out there so that when I do sell my work, I have a fanbase (sort of) and a more interesting resume.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Practise. Practise and feedback.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the impression people have is, but very few publications pay for opinion articles. I've published two op-eds and only one of the newspapers paid (the LA Times). I'm told that the LA Times is pretty unusual in that regard. The Hastings Center Report didn't pay for the commentary of mine they just published. Raggededgemagazine.com, where I've had a lot of my work published, can't afford to pay anyone for their work. In the last case, the editor is a friend and has my great respect for her work in disability rights. If she finds my work useful and people read it, I'm happy.

For me, of course, you could argue that I'm already being paid, since writing analytical and opinion pieces is part of my job.

My main goal is always to get the perspective of my organization out in the public eye. When I get paid, it's a surprise.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

>>what are some other things a webmaster can do to recognize the special contributions a volunteer writer has made to the community?

Um. . . extra fate points?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I virtually never write for free. My magazine pays me 30c a word for my articles, so I'm not about to devalue my marketability by writing for free somewhere else.

Just as with design, I rarely do 'mates rates' jobs because suddenly you have your mates mates, and their mates mates and their mates mates mates all wanting cheap work. And when you're doing your best to make sure everything that goes out the door with your name on it is of the highest quality, suddenly your effective return on time-investment is less than that of working in Macca's.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

All this mating. . . who knew web developers were such swingers?
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah well, it's a sexy business.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People like collaboration, a sense of community, and the feeling of a job well done as well.
Hatrack.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

BTW, you all owe me bucketloads. Invoice is in the mail.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:

Was that aimed at me? If so, what the hell?!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

You are one scary dude.

quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:

Do I have to put cutesy little smile-ly faces around everything to indicate a joke? I thought Hatrack got 'deadpan'?

... back in the old days of Hatrack, deadpan was *required*....

Troubadour
Member # 83

Tell the truth, I'm dumbfounded that anyone could take this as anything *other* than a joke. Then again, it's been a long week....
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Troubadour, I think he missed the all, I did it too when I first read your post. And yeah, long week... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice, practice, practice
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Sure. Fate points for everyone. [Smile]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I've slept about 10 hours this week. I'm missing a lot of stuff and sseeing a lot of stuff. Hey! That word was rude, TomD!
Troubadour
Member # 83

quote:
I've slept about 10 hours this week.
Well you did choose the job of 'smarmiest leader of a western nation'. What did you expect?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Well you did choose the job of 'smarmiest leader of a western nation'.
I'm a little imperceptive. What?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
JH, I'm not sure if you are the imperceptive one or if Troubadour is the cryptic one here...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

There's not a single photo on this page that does not contain the image of John Howard, Prime Minister of Australia. The man who played 'follow the leader' in the war on Terror.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I AM NOT JOHN ****ING HOWARD, THE ****ING PRY MINIATURE OF AUSTRALIA! NEVER ASSOCIATE ME WITH THAT ****!

Troubadour, you're cruisin' for a bruisin'.

Troubadour
Member # 83

[Big Grin] well, dude, I'm just sayin' - everytime I see your name, it's what goes through my mind.....
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you seriously might want to investigate meditation or other relaxing diversions, Jonathan, you'll hurt someone you care about someday if you can't constrain yourself.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Damn, I forgot to put j/k again.
Troubadour
Member # 83

Deadpan. Toldja.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're missing something very important, here.

30c a word? What magazine pays that?

Heck with this free stuff...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Australian cents, Mr Bridges, Australian cents. But still, 2500 words at that rate is nothing to sneeze at - particularly if you *are* in Australia. I only wish it was weekly rather than monthly! I'd quit my job and write full-time.

Digital Media World Magazine. I do articles on post-production processes and game development.

Scott R
Member # 567

I have three fate points now.

Enough for Pensive (Ty's game) to take on Slash (Tom's game).

Bring it, Lizardman.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I write for free because I like writing. That's why I write here for free.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun and I like making people feel.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice; also, I get status within a community I care about, and I just like seeing my games recorded for posterity. Check out my saga here!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
I don't get paid extra for writing my columns
Wait a minute. You don't get paid for your weekly 24/7 column that I enjoy so much? That's criminal!

You said "extra." Does that mean you get paid for other work you do for the newspaper?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.