FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Results from the 'age and religion' thread. Come quick, we're starting without you.

Author Topic: Results from the 'age and religion' thread. Come quick, we're starting without you.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of a total of 151 responses (I threw out about 5), we have:

53 atheist, apatheist, agnostic, non-religious, and spiritual but anti-organized relion

35 LDS

16 Christian of indeterminate denomination

15 Catholic, both Roman and otherwise

13 Methodist

9 Jewish

and singles or doubles of each of the following: Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Mennonite, Taoist, Jehovah's Witness, Church of the Final Atonement, and Congregationalist.

Go here for the graphic breakdown!

Everything is divided into 3 categories - LDS, atheist/agnostic, and religious non-LDS. Each category is subdivided based on age, with 30* and above being designated "old" and 29 and below designated "young".

Again, repeating what I said in the actual thread, this is in no way a statistically valid survey, because response was voluntary (guaranteeing a poor sample). And, I almost surely typed something into the spreadsheet incorrectly at some point. But it's fun, and I bet it's fairly representative.

Thanks to Kayla for letting me hijack her thread, just because I was bored at work and like Excel.

*I know 30 isn't very old but, as I said in the other thread, there were still way more "young" responses than "old" even with an admittedly low cutoff for "old". What can I say, message boards are mainly full of young people.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm still young!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
How many Unique usernames are there on Hatrack?

And how about an age breakdown!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a separate thread for a separate time. And if I had to guess, there's about 7900 unique usernames. No telling how many of those are active in a given year. Pop probably has the stats on that.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm YOUNG!
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm waiting for someone in their 30s to complain about being listed as old.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Iwas old before you made it official, so no worries...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I looked at the age/religion thread I was the only Taoist here. Go me!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think athiest and "non religous, but spiritual" belong in the same category.

You might as well group "LDS" and "relgious, non LDS" in the same category. Or just one big category with everyone who replied in it. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Complain complain complain complain. Jeez! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Non-religious, but spiritual, were two people. In both cases, they indicated that they disdained organized religion, but believed in a power greater than themselves.

Where would you put them?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least we've made this point here: we are not, as a group, "mostly young LDS" people. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
In church, where they belong!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you count skillery as LDS? Cause he is, in spite of his flippant response. [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

If he didn't say he was in his post, he didn't get counted.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right KQ, that was the point of all of this, wasn't it?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
If people don't answer honestly, you haven't made any point.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I don't think athiest and "non religous, but spiritual" belong in the same category.

You might as well group "LDS" and "relgious, non LDS" in the same category. Or just one big category with everyone who replied in it. [Smile]

No one is stopping you from compiling your own statistics from the raw data. In fact, I think your idea is interesting, and I look forward to seeing your interpretation of the data, too.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- officially complaining about being old

Ack! No! Being CALLED old!!!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I knew I was old before you made it official, so no worries...
Ditto.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

as I said in the other thread, there were still way more "young" responses than "old" even with an admittedly low cutoff for "old". What can I say, message boards are mainly full of young people.

That, and the fact that ASL queries are pretty much only popular among the young. Once you get above the age of 25, you've answered those questions too often to enjoy answering them again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I change my answer?

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouf ! I stay young despite of my birthday.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I threw out about 5)
Hey! Siths and Norse Christian Jedis have a right to be!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
So we're about 30% old and 70% young. That's interesting. It seems to me that the internet as a whole is generally much younger than hatrack. Do other people get this feeling too? I don't go many places online, so my impression might be skewed. What do you guys think?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I think that's the case too.

If the internet is a mall, most people hang out at the arcade, or at Suncoast, or Abercrombie, or the food court.

Hatrack is like the Waldenbooks in the far corner. It's out of the high traffic area, and most people that go there went looking for it.

Tom,
I agree that the old people are less likely to reply to the a/s/l questions, but not because they're so much more experienced. It's simply because they don't like calling attention to the fact that they're old. They used to be young, and online they can still be young until they lift the curtain and reveal their real age.

I have no idea how old you are, but I could guess based on your posts and the things I know about you. I think the people who abstained from answering the survey were the hatrackers who've been around long enough to have already done that sort of thing multiple time. But that's a totally different type of old.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting that on your pie chart the "Young, athiest" and "young, religious" are almost exactly equal.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I agree that the old people are less likely to reply to the a/s/l questions, but not because they're so much more experienced. It's simply because they don't like calling attention to the fact that they're old. They used to be young, and online they can still be young until they lift the curtain and reveal their real age.

*crawls into a corner and whimpers*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
For crying out loud! I'm one of the youngest here, possibly second-youngest of the active posters - and I have a sister (and probably a brother too) older than Tom.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very possible for siblings to be over fifty years apart in age.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
FULL siblings?

I do know a few full siblings who are 30-40 years apart.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Stock up on the Pampers and Depends!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Just curious why you would assume people would rather be young? I've been both and old is much more fun. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL at the Waldenbooks comparison...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For crying out loud! I'm one of the youngest here, possibly second-youngest of the active posters - and I have a sister (and probably a brother too) older than Tom.
Heh. And I have a brother who's closer in age to Tom's child.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

Hatrack is like the Waldenbooks in the far corner. It's out of the high traffic area, and most people that go there went looking for it.

Great analogy. It fits perfectly.

quote:
It's simply because they don't like calling attention to the fact that they're old. They used to be young, and online they can still be young until they lift the curtain and reveal their real age.
Ahhh! For the sprightliness of youth once again. Alas, 'tis more than fifty years since these old bones be not a creakin.' [Wink]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.