FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "More Ovaltine, please!" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "More Ovaltine, please!"
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or do the kids in the commercial sound like junkies?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
They sound like junkies.

Like some rice pudding with your ovaltine?

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The kids SHOUT all their lines. And the moms who are discussing the virtues of ovaltine sound like freaky ovaltine drones. The whole radio ad freaks me out.

I've seen one on TV where this pedophile-type guy has an ovaltine cart and all the kids come running as he gives out ovaltine to all.

That creeps me out, too.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear   Email ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't they call it Roundtine...
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Kenny Banya? Is that you?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ovaltine rawks.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, isn't a circle a form of oval (just like a square is a subset of rectangle)?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Poor Americans with their mediocre Ovaltine. They don't know the wonders of Kresto.

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear some people worship Kresto
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Mmmmmmm . . . . Krrrrrrrrreeeeeeeesssssssstooooo . . .

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ovaltine, the official beverage of Stepford Wives everywhere.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Kresto?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

er, no.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Kresto
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Cuz, you know, I was thinking you were some kind of supra-tuff, drinking that.

And apparently liking it.

EDIT: Just the label on your Kresto makes my teeth dissolve, Icarus.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love chocolate Ovaltine.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
quote:
Well, isn't a circle a form of oval (just like a square is a subset of rectangle)?
Not exactly. Circles are indeed the special case of ellipses, much as squares are the special case of rectangles. However, most ovals are not quite ellipses.

OTOH, they are most certainly round. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

*sigh*

Poor Americans with their mediocre Ovaltine. They don't know the wonders of Kresto.

All right thinking Americans drink Nestle's Quick and keep their kids off the hard stuff.

"Let's go sell our bodies for some rich, chocolatey Ovaltine!"

"Yeah!"

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ovaltine comes in chocolate?!?! I've only ever had malt. *adds to grocery list*
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love my Ovaltine. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate Ovaltine rocks!

I'm not sure what you call it here, but I used to drink malt all the time (the soft drink kind, not ovaltine). Is there a special way of making a distinction between different kinds of malt beverages or do you just go by brand name?

The malt I'm talking about is the foamy "root-beerish" kind you buy in bottles, like a soda.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Malta Goya!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom always fed us Carnation Instant Breakfast.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Malta is not carbonated like soda is. And, in my opinion, it tastes nothing like root beer. I am told that it actually is the exact same stuff that a real malt shop would put in a chocolate shake to make a chocolate malted. I don't know if this is true, though.

I don't like malta, so take this with a grain of salt, but I am told that, among maltas, Malta Goya is the absolute most disgusting brand. Most who live in the US don't realize it, but Goya is actually a pretty off-brand. It's just that if you live in the US away from a major latin center, it's the only brand available.

I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, some brand name that is basically crap, but available everywhere. It's not quite the same, but imagine you lived overseas, and the only American products you could get were all "Sam's Club."

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Goya has darned cheap canned garbanzos.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

Dr. Thunder is pretty cheap too. [Smile]

Rico
Member # 7533

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Malta is not carbonated like soda is. And, in my opinion, it tastes nothing like root beer. I am told that it actually is the exact same stuff that a real malt shop would put in a chocolate shake to make a chocolate malted. I don't know if this is true, though.

I don't like malta, so take this with a grain of salt, but I am told that, among maltas, Malta Goya is the absolute most disgusting brand. Most who live in the US don't realize it, but Goya is actually a pretty off-brand. It's just that if you live in the US away from a major latin center, it's the only brand available.

I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, some brand name that is basically crap, but available everywhere. It's not quite the same, but imagine you lived overseas, and the only American products you could get were all "Sam's Club."

Well Icarus, I am very aware of what Malta tastes like because I actually grew up drinking it in a Latin American country. I was merely trying to compare it so something so that people could tell me if there was a name for it here, which I guess worked, because people knew what I was talking about. Notice I was refering to how foamy it was when I compared it to root beer, not the taste.

As for brands, if any malt lovers ever get access to a Venezuelan restaurant or any other place where you might be able to get Venezuelan products, get "Malta Caracas" or "Maltin Polar"

Best I have ever tasted, they're among my favorite drinks when I can get them [Smile]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Chill, dude. I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was trying to give what I thought was a more thorough description for Americans who might be curious. (And trying to keep people from making their judgments based on Goya brands.)

(If it came across as critical, that might be because my first paragraph was originally my second, but then I realized that my first and third needed to be together, because they were both about the name brand thing. So maybe it came across as critical because there was no real introduction to the post. In any case, no offense intended.)

[Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

(There seems to be a tendency among latinos on Hatrack to try to "out-latino" each other. I'm not trying to do that. Promise.)
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I love those commercials. Really, I do. It's always good to have a bunch of high kids and moms to laugh at.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

I'm sorry but there seems to be room for only one Latino on this board and I'm sure you can understand it can only be me. I mean come on, my name is Rico.

I challenge you to a duel sir, pistols at dawn!

(My apologies if I sounded harsh in my last post, I just wanted to make sure I was understood so I was a bit too blunt ) [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

In high school, I had a Latina friend, and we would watch "I Love Lucy" together. I was incredibly disappointed and disillusioned to find that Ricky wasn't really using the incredibly foul language that I had supposed when he yelled at Lucy in Spanish. I always had figured that what he was saying was too dirty to be said in English. It turns out he was just saying something like "Of all the stupid things...how could you do something like that!"

Sigh.

Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh, no. More hispanics. [Frown]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually all about the Chocolate Malt Ovaltine in the orange jar.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That's good. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually had Ovaltine. What's so great about it? For some reason, I always had the impression that it was something old people drank (Ovaltine just sounded like it was made up by the same people who made Metamusil).

I'm guessing, from the contents of this thread, that it is some sort of chocolatey drink with vitamins, thus making it a healthy chocolatey drink. If so, how does it compare to Carnation Instant Breakfast?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:

I'm guessing, from the contents of this thread, that it is some sort of chocolatey drink with vitamins, thus making it a healthy chocolatey drink. If so, how does it compare to Carnation Instant Breakfast?

--Mel

Well, for one thing, it's just a chocolate drink, not a substitute for breakfast.

I grew up on Ovaltine. My mom was the original healthfood freak and refused to buy Bosco chocolate syrup, which all my friends had when their moms made chocolate milk. She bought Ovaltine - yes - because it has vitamins! [Smile]

Since I had it as a kid, I have never thought of it as an old people's drink at all, but as another type of chocolate flavoring for kids to put in milk.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Crows Wife: Just for the record, I told my husband about this thread and that "someone here" had the impression that Ovaltine was something that old people drink. He said he also drank it as a kid, and remembers it always being marketed to kids, not old people.

Just saying. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom still sings the Bosco song...
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder whether Ovaltine had a limited distribution in the past, because I never knew it was a real product until relatively recently. The only time I'd ever heard of it was in a Dr. Demento song called Who put the benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?

I thought ovaltine must have been something old people drank, but I had no idea what it really was.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, I always thought it was a drink for kids . . . from a long, long, long, long time ago. [Smile]

That being said, when I was a kid, we used to use Bosco syrup. I found some recently, and I don't know if they've changed their formula or what, but it simply does not make good chocolate milk. Hershey's syrup is much better. The only thing Bosco is good for is pouring on ice cream. On ice cream, I find its taste closer to that of fudge than Hershey's, which I find overly sweet on ice cream.

(However, Kresto powder is actually pretty fantastic as an ice cream topping! [Smile] )

I also used to like U-Bet! syrup, but I can't find it around here. [Frown]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was getting it mixed up with Metamusil. I've never had it, and I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for it. All I knew was that it was some kind of drink

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Ovaltine, children screaming, and women who have had plastic surgery appearing in commercials all three freak me out.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Bosco syrup either, and never heard of it until I recently saw a Seinfeld episode with a reference to it. It must be a regional thing too.

I never saw Seinfeld until a couple of years ago either. But I've always been a little out of it.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Bosco is a fairly antiquated brand. I think it was mostly popular in the fifties and sixties. I remember drinking it in the seventies, but I think it was already not as popular as Hersheys. Much as Ovaltine has been edged out of the market by Quik, Bosco has been pushed out by Hersheys. The only reason I can get it at all is that Bosco has a thriving Latin American niche, and so many of the latinos here are familiar with it and will buy it if they see it in stores. In fact, while Bosco is an American brand, the bottle in my fridge has Spanish writing all over it. (And the only reason I bought it at all was nostalgia.)
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
My mom still sings the Bosco song...

I don't even remember the Bosco song. [Razz]

And I had no idea it was still around, I haven't actually seen the stuff in years and years.

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

I also used to like U-Bet! syrup, but I can't find it around here. [Frown]

Fox's U-Bet is good stuff. It's the best chocolate syrup for making egg creams. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BLEH! to egg creams. *shudder*

But for them's as is craving: an online store that carries both Bosco and Fox's U-Bet syrups.

*annoyed* Their shipping rates are obscene, though. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I wouldn't expect you to like egg creams, rivka. You're not from NY. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.