FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any Actors in Hatrackdom?

Author Topic: Any Actors in Hatrackdom?
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
So here is my deal. I am 28 years old, I have been self-employed for the past three years doing IT Consulting. I find IT to be an industry of misery, at least that is my take on it.

But there is one thing that I love to do, and that is acting. I've been doing community theatre for about four years now and it seems to be the one thing that I am passionate about. Recently I have been contemplating making a jump and leaving Ohio and moving out to New York to see if I can "make it there".

This makes very little logical sense to me. As I KNOW the chance of making a living at it is slim to none. One thing on myside is my Grandfather is anxious to have some company and has invited me out there to live.

Hell, I don't know why I am posting this. Just seems sometimes you are up at 2:30 in the morning and you think bouncing your ideas of strangers on a forum is THE ANSWER. Hmmmm....

Anyway, I am miserable and for all intents and purposes, I don't see me being happy working in IT for the rest of my life. hrmph... And all of my friends seem to think I am a decent actor (as biased as they are) so I am seriously contemplating either joing my Grandfather in White Plains or my friend in LA who is also trying to hack it as an actor.

This is the point in the post where I will probably just close the window and go to sleep and go to my stupid job in the morning, but....

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want you to take my post too seriously, because it's 4:15, and I have to be up in 4 hours, but here it goes. Follow your dream. If you really and truely think that you can make it on Broadway or off, then take the chance. If you're prepared to do what it takes, such as take menial jobs in the interim, then do it. I'm an actor myself (although not a very serious one) and I know that acting can only be described as a passion. It's something that you love doing- it's the thrill of being on stage and giving a great performance. It'll be a huge change, no doubt about that, but if you really want to do it because it's what you love, then go for it. Life is worthless if you aren't doing something you love.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to disagree.

Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really need to evaluate what is important to you. If security is anywhere in the top 5, I wouldn't do it. But you know yourself better than I do.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus and his wife act in local plays frequently, but they don't make a living at it (as far as I know).
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just never join the Film Actors Guild for obvious yet hidden reasons.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How much formal training as an actor have you had? I'm not saying it's a necessity, but sometimes a little training can take you from having a good instinct to really nailing it. <---- from experience with an actor friend.

Unless you are very confident in your abilities I hestitate to say drop everything right now and go. However, as you well know, this is generally the only way to do it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, to make it as an actor you have to be hugely confident in your abilities and willing to step on as many people as you have to in order to make it. There is no job security, and even if you "make it", you probably aren't going to be "making it by much". Are you naturally frugal, or is that going to be hard for you? Also, keep in mind that you're not going to be doing Shakespeare, you're going to be doing things like Skittle commercials (if you're really lucky, probably low budget things that people have written and mortgaged their house to produce. Which can make them pretty hard to deal with, it's their baby you're bringing to life). If you're lucky, you can do twofers (two for the money, one for me).

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't go for it. But you have to know what going for it entails. And you have to know that you're good, and you have to know that this is the only thing you can see yourself doing, and is the only thing that will ever make you happy. If you can see yourself getting by doing something else, or maybe this other thing will make you happy, you aren't going to make it.

It isn't a life I would wish on anyone. But, if it's all you can do, it's all you can do.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really need to evaluate what is important to you. If security is anywhere in the top 5, I wouldn't do it. But you know yourself better than I do.
If it was me writing the above post, I would change everything except the first 12 words:

Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really should hold on to the day job and get a lot of time consuming (and sometimes expensive) yet neccessary things out of the way.
You need experience to put on your resume'. Lots of community theater, possibly in productions of plays and musicals that future directors may have heard of. Amateur theater and / or film, and make sure you keep note of your character's name, the director's name, Name of the play, and year of the performance for your resume'.
Make sure you are practiced at plenty of skills to list on your resume', i.e. take singing lessons, (keep note of the teacher / school) piano lessons, dance lessons, possibly learn some less common skills: magic tricks, horseback riding, languages or dialect skills etc. You never know what might be needed or preferable to a casting director or at a casting call.
If you're serious, You'll want to get a portfolio made with several different looks and poses to demonstrate variety and range, and definitely a good black and white headshot to put your resume's on the back of to send out. (You'll need plenty of those; to send it out to potential agents at first, and then for your agent to send out to directors once youre picked up by one.)
You'll also want to be sure and have a solid 2 minute monologue, a 30 second monologue (It sounds short I know, but I almost got caught with my pants down at an audition by that one, thank goodness I happened to have one) and a prepared musical number for musical auditions.
Video your monologues because many directors (and agents I've had) want your material submitted by videotape and then if they like you they'll see you in person, and once you've been in a few commercials, compile a 'reel' of what you've been in.

But really, take all of this with a grain of salt, because i dont really know anything about successful acting. I've been through several agents, conventions, modeling gigs, photo shoots, lots of plays, commercials, and movies (SPOILER WARNING: check for my face in the Bon Jovi movie 'The Trouble with Frank' when it comes out. I'm standing behind Cary Elwes when he gets hit in the face with a pie. END SPOILER) and still haven't made any money to speak of...and now I'm a Sonar Tech in the U.S. Navy. Go figure. [Razz]

Good luck, and dont get caught up in the 'Security vs. Your dream' stuff. Just make sure you're really well prepared for the day when "Preparation meets opportunity" -Bruce Lee

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ououls brings up a good point. The more tricks you have in your bag, the better.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you see yourself being happy doing anything else. See, I love music. I'm a really good singer, and a decent guitar player. I considered trying to make it a career. I'm still considering it, actually. I just decided to get a real job because ultimately, if I eventually get married and start a family, and I'm close to my parents, friends, and brother I think I can be happy. I'm still passionate about music, and I play a gigs whenever I can, but I've decided that maybe my priorities are elsewhere.

Just some things to think about. Don't let the fact that it's hard, or that it's a really long shot dissuade you if that's what you love to do. The thing with taking big risks is, no matter how they turn out, you're always glad you took them.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
and willing to step on as many people as you have to in order to make it
This sounds rather negative. To my mind, effort would be better spent preparing proper skills, materials and technique than spent on psyching oneself up for the rape and pillage of the modern film world. [Razz]
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>To my mind, effort would be better spent preparing proper skills, materials and technique than spent on psyching oneself up for the rape and pillage of the modern film world.

Aw, man. Brought my glaive for nothing, then.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
New York isn't the only place to 'make it big', as it were. There are plenty of decent-sized regional theatres that are looking for talent. Chicago, Los Angeles, heck Salt Lake City even has a couple. Granted, you might very well still be struggling to support yourself, but it might be a little easier than in New York. I'd recommend going somewhere where you might have family or some kind of support system set up.

Are you a member of Equity (the stage actors' union)? Definetely research an area to see where the Equity theatres are and figure out if its worth joining the union. One of my teachers decided not to join Equity because opportunities are about equal with or without it in SLC/Provo.

If theatre really interests you, it also wouldn't hurt to get some experience in the technical aspect. Learn to sew, set lights, stage manage, etc. That way, you could still find work in the Theatre even if it's not on stage. --I say this because I adore theatre but I'm nowhere near talented to be on stage, so I'm studying stage management/directing. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good luck, and dont get caught up in the 'Security vs. Your dream' stuff.
I disagree. Sometimes you have to get caught up in it. At least some people do.

My wonderful husband has given up his first-choice dream in favor of a more secure second-choice dream, with options for a third, in order to provide for his family.

Security and stability for our children rate higher than fulfilling our dreams on our list. Everyone is different.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
One suggestion from a former SM. Come to Chicago rather than New York. In NY or LA it tends to be "all or nothing". You are either working or you're not. In Chicago, there is a ton of small and medium size theatre. You can hold down a day job and still be getting acting work, gradually shifting to more acting and less "day job" as your talent and luck warrent. You can get some really good professional experience under your belt before you make the move to the coasts.

I know that having a place to stay in NY makes a difference, though.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Acting as a profession and acting as a hobby are two very different things, as I'm sure you know. I'm also in the theatre industry, but as a dramaturg, not an actor, so I can't speak from personal experience on that, but I've seen some of the hoops my other theatre friends have to jump through to get their foot in the door. I think the thing that you'd need to decide is whether you're current passion for theatre can withstand the other, less pleasant stuff that goes along with a professional career. If you dive into the business without being fully aware of all aspects of it, you could very easily end up all bitter and disgruntled and theatre-hating, and I'd hate to see that happen with something you truly love.

Something I'd maybe check into are the mass "cattle call" regional auditions - a lot of my friends have gotten started this way, and it might be a good way for you to test the professional waters. From what I know, they're mainly for summer theatres and touring companies, but there's also year-round theatres at them - these things have been keeping several of my friends employed for the past several years. Several of them will be coming up in the next few months, so you have time to prepare. One is the SETC auditions (Southeastern Theatre Conference) in March in Florida. There's also the Midwest auditions in February in Missouri, and the NETC in Massachusetts. This link also has links for a lot of other auditions. I don't know of a mass audition just for NYC theatres, but some NY theatres are probably going to be at the regional auditions. Same with LA.

There's a lot of other good advice on here too. I'm all for following your dreams, but you need to make sure you're doing it without the rose-colored glasses. If you take those off and the dream hasn't morphed into a nightmare, then you might be okay. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
There are certain characteristics shared by every successful actor I've met:

1. They're incredibly driven people. Nothing, repeat nothing will stop them from acheiving their goals. If it requires stepping on others, so be it, though it isn't always necessary to beat everyone else down. But if you have to choose between a successful jerk vs. being a starving nice guy, most people choose the former. This is the same reason that many actors lose their moral standards. This is NOT NECESSARY, but many people choose it nonetheless because they are deceived into thinking that sacrificing their principles to acheive their goals will be worth it. So don't lose your moral center, BUT you must have an almost insatiable desire to be sucessful.

2. Tied in with the above, every successful actor I know has had YEARS of professional training--singing lessons, dance lessons, dialogue coaching, martial arts, any of the skills odouls mentioned. The biggest stars never stop taking classes. There is always something else to learn. Be willing to pay for it.

3. Their resume is huge. Unless they have a serious moral objection, they don't turn down roles, especially early in their career. There is no training that replaces actual experience. This means doing cat food commercials, industrial training videos, storefront theatre, and anything else you can possibly do.

4. They are members of Actor's Equity Union. It's more of a guild than a union. According to the rules of the union, it's supposed to be a difficult apprentenship process to be admitted as a member. It requires 52 weeks of work in approved union theatres. However, there are also theatres that will offer to buy your union card for you if you accept a role in their show. This is because their contract with the union requires a certain number of union actors. I would strongly advise against this, as an actor. Once you are an Equity actor, the number of opportunities to act is SEVERELY limited. You can no longer work in non-union or professional or community theatre. The plus side is the roles you do manage to get will actually pay you a living wage, have decent hours and working conditions, and allow you to have health insurance. So if you want to be a professional actor, you will eventually be an Equity member, but NOT unless you have sufficiently developed your skills. Only a small percentage of Equity actors have work at any given time. I believe it's because a large percentage of them got their union cards before they were ready.

5. They are talented and versatile. Who you know may get you an audition, but what you can do, or more specifically what you can do that the other 100 people who auditioned can't do, lands you the role.

6. They are DEPENDABLE. There's a saying in New York that if you show up 5 minutes late for your rehearsal, there are 100 other talented people who are willing to take your place. It takes one phone call to replace you.

7. They can memorize lines and music in a period of days, not weeks (in Soap Operas, the actors are given the script in the morning, MAYBE have a rehearsal, and then film in the afternoon. At any point during the filming, a PA may come running in and hand them a new script with changes made by the writers.)

8. They don't have a family. If they are married, they don't have any children. This isn't true of every single actor I've know, but prob. 95% of the successful ones. The fact is, the professional actor lifestyle is tough, and not condusive to a great home life. It has long hours, almost all at night. Hardly conducive for raising kids in school.
Also inhibiting family life is that there is no stability. If Alex Trebek wanted to borrow money, he would have difficulty because he has no guaranteed income beyond his 13 week contract. There is no such thing as going to work for one company and keeping that job forever. Your roles and contracts will change every 4-6 months, maybe shorter. If you're lucky, you land in a hit like Cats and have a long-term contract. Congratulations. You now have to do the same show 8 times per week for the next 10 years.

The above are only a few of my observations as a 5th year theatre student. Do not let this keep you from following your dreams. But as Homer Hickham once said: Dreaming only gets you so far. What you need to do is get out and do something. It's gonna be tough work but remember this: acting is the single most rewarding activity I do. I truly love being a performer. I know for certain I'll never be able to give it up. If you are the same, and are willing to overcome the obstacles, then GO FOR IT.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, since I started that reply there has been tons of great advice given here. Yay for theatre! And Nell, God bless you. The world needs more good dramaturgs. Better you than me [Smile]
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

[Big Grin] Thanks! It's always nice when someone actually knows what my chosen career means.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves dramaturgy* [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

*loves people who love dramaturgy* [Smile]

It makes life so much easier for directors. Not that I hate dramaturgy. It's just not my favorite aspect of theatre.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... if you can make it there, I guess you can make it anywhere.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Go back and re-read everything Brian said. Print it out and keep it in your pocket. He's exactly right.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is a senior in high school and wants to be an actor. He is extremely talented and has even won awards for acting in community theater.

When he told us he wanted to major in theater I think my mother cried. Yes, we both want him to do something that makes him happy, but did he have pick the most unstable line of work out there?

I wouldn't be so disappointed if he wasn't so smart and had the ability to pursue damn near any type of career (especially in the science or animal fields). I want him to continue to act (did I mention how good he is?) but I just don't want him to work so hard for something that may never come.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an actress, but a singer. I'm working on improving acting, though... I WILL be a broadway star. I don't care what it takes. [Smile]

Ok, I probably won't. But I want to so badly. So I identify with you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Valentine,

No need for tears. He's only a senior in high school. Theatrical training (believe it or not) can prepare your brother for a lot of things other than acting. Especially if he goes to a good liberal arts university. He will have to take plenty of stuff in addition to the theatre courses.

And a lot can happen in four years.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

I appreciate the comforting words, kmbboots. He still has time before school starts.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

He has plenty of time after school starts, too. God help us if our whole lives depend on what we decide to major in when we're eighteen!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
He can also teach acting.

I'm a voice major, and I understand that it's a tough world out there... but it's what I love to do. If I don't "make it," I can teach my art to others!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

You're right, Raia! He would make an awesome teacher (my dad is one). Maybe I should put that bug in his ear.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

[Blushing] thanks kmbboots [Blushing]

Valentine: When I decided to pursue a degree in theatre, everyone around me--teachers, parents, other relatives, friends, did I mention teachers--had the same reaction. Why in the world would someone so academically talented (I graduated 2nd in my class, and received lots of scholarship offers) pursue a career in a field so . . . risky? I suspect the reaction I got when I chose theatre was similar to the one OSC got when he chose to be a Theatre major. From what I gather, he was quite an intelligent, precocious student who entered BYU a year or two early. If his reaction from those around him was anything like those around me, it seemed to them like something of a waste.

But even though I enjoyed and still enjoy many academic subjects, I was bull-headedly determined to get a degree in the only field that really, truly excited me. Theatre was the only field that made me feel alive, that aroused my senses and awakened my joie de vivre in a way so stunning. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I figured if I was going to spend four years in college, I might as well be doing something that I loved.

Fast forward 5 years later. Here I am a Senior at Radford University, the school I chose for it's wonderful theatre program. I'm going to graduate in the spring, with a B.A. in Theatre, with a double major in French, after spending 6 months studying in Angers, France.

I don't think that 5 years ago I, or anyone else, imagined the amount I've grown in the past years or the path I've taken to get there. I have worked on the lighting crew for the Hill Cumorah Pageant, been Tech director for several shows, acted in 8 professional plays for 3 theatres, numerous other full-lenghth plays and musicals, several one-acts, a few student films, done VO work, and directed one show (and currently directing another.) The Lord has truly blessed me with opportunities to do many different things.

I mention all of the above not to brag, but beacause all of these work experiences have shaped me into an interesting sort of theatre professional. I have the skills to do more than just act or be a technician. The field is wide open in front of me. The possibilities for work are endless. No, I haven't yet decided which area I want to pursue after graduation, but to me IT DOESN'T MATTER. What matters much, much more is that in the last 5 years I have become in every sense of the word a well-rounded adult. I have done much, and enjoyed doing it.

Two months from now I will don a black cap and gown, walk across the stage and get a rolled up piece of paper, throw my hat in the air, and be pronounced a graduate. After the completion of my work in France, I will receive a nice 11 x 17 piece of paper that says I've completed the requirements for graduation in the fields of Theatre and French. After that, I don't know what the world holds in store for me. Perhaps I will do regional and summer-stock theatre for a while. Perhaps I will try to get a job teaching high school theatre, helping encourage other young people like myself to pursue the field they love. Perhaps I will become a bum on the streets of NYC.

But one thing is for certain. I will look back on the last 5 years and never, ever regret the day when I decided to become a Theatre major.

So support your brother. Give him encouragement as he follows his dreams. He may become dissolusioned with theatre and become a biology teacher. Or he may go on to star in OSC's next Broadway hit. Either way, with the encouragement of family and friends, as I had, he will one day become a good, productive human being.

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Just today I got an e-mail from someone on campus who said that a professor of mine recommended me to her as being "perfect" for a part in her short student film. I'm actually considering it.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Go for it!
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

I guess the point of telling my story in the last post is to let you know what several other people have done in less words: pursuing a theatre degree isn't a dead-end decision. In fact, it's far from it. A theatre major enrolled in a good program that stresses a well-rounded professional with skills and experience in all areas will open up many, many MORE career possibilities than for example, a degree in molecular biology. A successful college experience depends on the student being open-minded, willing to fail and get back up to fail again, and most importantly good support and encouragement from friends and family. That is what you can provide. Good luck, and tell your brother to break a leg!
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

p.s. Go for it Dante!
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
quote:
If it was me writing the above post, I would change everything except the first 12 words:

Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really should ...

Looks to me like you changed everything except the first 14 words [Razz]
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I just might. The thing is, I haven't done any acting in, oh, about twenty-five years. And while I was a pretty cute, precocious, and mildly talented five-year-old actor, I'm not convinced that background really qualifies me for even a low-key production like this one.

That said, I did tell her to send me the script.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I got a little bit of the "You're too smart to just be a theatre major!" argument too. This view always annoys me somewhat because to be a successful actor (or any theatre professional), you generally have to be very intelligent.

Think about it: an actor needs to be able to memorize quickly and accurately, not just words, but emotions, subtext, movements, and often music and choreography. They need to be able to fully understand the psychology of their character, as well as their fellow characters - if something unexpected happens on stage, the actor needs to be able to react to the situation as their character would. An actor needs to understand their character's background and occupation, and often their character will have led a very different life from the actor. Actors frequently have to have a good understanding of history, literature, and sociology, among myriad other things they might encounter, depending on what show they're working on. They need to be able to synthesize all this information into a person, separate from themselves, whom they have created basically from scratch. Actors who are just starting out often also need to have a good working knowledge of technical theatre, which often incoporates things like math and physics (aka set and lighting design/construction). And on top of this, actors also have to be supremely organized, responsible, dedicated, and motivated.

I'm sure there are exceptions to all of the above who still "make it." But from my college, the most successful actors after graduation have also been the ones who were among the top five students of their graduating class. The more intelligent a person is, the better actor they'll be if they really set their heart and mind to it.

[/rant] Sorry, but "You're too smart" seems to imply to me that people think theatre is for the less intelligent. [Razz]

odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
Their resume is huge. Unless they have a serious moral objection, they don't turn down roles, especially early in their career.
True story. I once had an agent tell me "Don't worry if it's a crappy role in a crappy movie. If it's crap, nobody's gonna see the damn thing anyway."

It's still experience, still an opportunity to network, and still a line on your resume'.

odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
quote:Originally posted by odouls268:

quote: Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really need to evaluate what is important to you. If security is anywhere in the top 5, I wouldn't do it. But you know yourself better than I do.

Very few people make it as actors. Before you make that step, you really should ...

Looks to me like you changed everything except the first 14 words [Razz]

I stand corrected. ::Begins to flog himself repeatedly while shouting "I'm not dead, I think I'll go for a walk! I feeel haaappyy!!"
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you that based on the info theatre students at my college were given, it would probably be easier for you to get your Actors Equity Union card (if you want it, opinions vary between actors) by doing some commercials and/or tv spots if possible and getting your SAG (Screen Actors Guild) card first, and then converting it to the AEU. It's much easier to get the SAG card, and once you have it, it's easy to switch over.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.