FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Ma"

Author Topic: "Ma"
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
My 31 month old boy has been saying "ma" instead of "yes" for the past year or so. Is it something to worry about? I always thought he would grow out of it.
We have been trying to tell him to say "yeah" instead of "ma", but he just would say "ma yeah" for a little bit, then switch to "ma" again.
He is a bit behind as far as his language skills go... and his 3rd birthday is coming up in 5 months.

I wonder if "ma" means yes in another language. [Big Grin]

[ January 11, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
What does he call you?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be funny if he called her "yeah" [Big Grin]

Mah means "what" in Hebrew, so maybe he only speaks Hebrew and doesn't understand what you're saying? [Wink]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
"Ma" means "but" in Italian.

Make of that what you will.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Has he been evaluated by a speech and language therapist? If he has, and s/he says it's not an issue, I'd let it slide.

He'll probably outgrow it when he goes to kindergarten, if not sooner.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
What does he say? How many word vocabulary does he have? Does most of what he says make sense? Is this an isolated incident, or is most of his speech this way?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

At 24 months, he should be able to:

quote:
Can name a number of objects common to his surroundings
Is able to use at least two prepositions, usually chosen from the following: in, on, under
Combines words into a short sentence-largely noun-verb combinations (mean) length of sentences is given as 1.2 words
Approximately 2/3 of what child says should be intelligible
Vocabulary of approximately 150-300 words
Rhythm and fluency often poor
Volume and pitch of voice not yet well-controlled
Can use two pronouns correctly: I, me, you, although me and I are often confused
My and mine are beginning to emerge
Responds to such commands as "show me your eyes (nose, mouth, hair)"

At 36 months,

quote:
Use pronouns I, you, me correctly
Is using some plurals and past tenses
Knows at least three prepositions, usually in, on, under
Knows chief parts of body and should be able to indicate these if not name
Handles three word sentences easily
Has in the neighborhood of 900-1000 words
About 90% of what child says should be intelligible
Verbs begin to predominate
Understands most simple questions dealing with his environment and activities
Relates his experiences so that they can be followed with reason
Able to reason out such questions as "what must you do when you are sleepy, hungry, cool, or thirsty?"
Should be able to give his sex, name, age
Should not be expected to answer all questions even though he understands what is expected

Is he halfway between those two?

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/language_development.shtml

My son had big problems with speech, which is why I asked, but his problems have a distinctive characteristic. Parents with a child with his disorder go to the speech pathologist and say "He talks all the time, but it sounds like Chinese."

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
He talks all the time but it sounds like German! Of course my mom swore I sounded like I was Japanese when I was his age.

He can do most of what is listed for the 24 months. But sometimes he's not too clear. Often he doesn't finish a word, for example "juice" is "joo".
We can probably understand only 30% of what he says. He only uses 40 words if not less, continually.

The only ones he can do for 36 months are the following:

-Gives his age
-Understands most simple questions dealing with his environment and activities
-Knows chief parts of body and should be able to indicate these if not name

Wow I didn't know "ma" in Hebrew meant "what" He probably only does understand hebrew and is asking us "What are you talking about?" [Big Grin] I would think that except for the nodding that always comes with the "ma".

We haven't taken him to a speech therapist.. though I have considered it many times.

[ January 11, 2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brothers and sisters had many of their own words like that, up to and even beyond that age, unicornwhisperer, and none of them turned out to have an issue (or...not at relates to language). So it can, at least, be normal and nothing to worry about, though it still wouldn't hurt to take him to a speech therapist to set your mind at ease.

edit: dang it. help, hurt, same thing, right? and out of interest, what does he say for "mama"?

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised nobody has suggested seeing his pediatrician. They should be able to tell if he's on track enough for his age. Besides, you'd need the referral to see speech therapist anyway.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps your hip child has caught on to the generation "Y" coloquialism: "Meh"

"Meh"- Pronounced like "me"tamorphosis, An explitive used to express disinterest, disagreement, or solemn submission to the situation at hand.

[Wink]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only because you got to the thread before me, Theaca. [Smile]

My advice, from someone who had twins who needed speech therapy, is to see the doctor, and ask the ped if he/she thinks you need to see someone.

But, for the record, you do not need a pediatric referral for early intervention, and until he is 36 months, he will be covered under the EI program.

I don't know about your state but in mine, early intervention is much easier to deal with and they do a better job than does the school system which takes over at 36 months. And that is not just my experience, it's shared by everyone I know that has experience with both.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
What "ma" means in Mandarin Chinese:

to wipe
mom
hemp
coarse
what?
horse
yard (three feet)
to scold
[used at the end of a sentence to show what precedes it is obvious]
[used at the end of a declarative sentence to transform it into a question]

[Big Grin]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Superstation is much the same way. He is 26 months old. He says maybe five words other than mama and dada. "Yes" is said as "mama" while he does a little dance. At his two year appt the pediatrician said it is normal for boys to lag behind. We go back in one month for a development check on the speech issue.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I hope this doesn't come off as being offensive to pediatricians, because I don't intend it.

I would have to urge Mommies to trust their instincts. If a pediatrician continually tells you everything is fine even when you think it isn't - call early intervention or whatever they call the program in your state.

I would rather have a speech pathologist evaluate where my child is than a pediatrician on speech issues. For one thing, the doctor isn't seeing this child for a long period of time. And I believe we moms sometimes will understate the case in the doctor's office.

Speech therapy can be a godsend for your child, it can work miracles but problems are always much easier to correct when they're caught early.

quote:
At his two year appt the pediatrician said it is normal for boys to lag behind.
Boys do tend to be less vocal than girls but there isn't a separate evaluation for boys. If he's not meeting the right milestones, then just don't write it off to him being male. I know you're not - and I'm glad you're having another checkup on the issue, I would just urge you to have a speech pathologist do that check-up. EI programs vary by state, but I know in Alabama it's free, insurance is not an issue, if you don't have it no problem if you do have it they won't charge you or your insurance company - when I say it's free I mean it's free. Ours had a policy that once you made a call to them they had 30 days, by law, to have that child evaluated by an expert. They actually were much quicker than the 30 days, and everything was done in my home, without me having to even take them anywhere.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I know my family doctor didn't believe me when I told him repeatedly that things weren't right with my younger daughter. And he was so certain that it was just a case of "each child is different and she'll catch up" that I couldn't get any kind of referral information. I didn't even know anywhere else to go for it.

Finally, when the yunger was 5 and the older 8, we were selected to receive state-sponsored counseling services as a result of something that happened with the older child at school. That counselor saw just a "snapshot" of M and her development and immediately got the ball rolling to have an evaluation done through the school district's special needs initiative, which then led to a psychiatric eval which revealed ADHD and possible other treatable issues! I don't know what I would have done without that woman...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

My boy says "mama" for "Mama" for those of you who wanted to know. I swear he knew "mama" when he was 3 months old. [Smile]

I appreciate everyone's advice. I will look into taking him to a speech therapist. I know the free program they have here takes months to get him into, which is probably why I haven't tried to lately. [Embarrassed]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Our doctor also kept telling my our son would "catch up" and that boys usually lagged behind in speech. We took him to a speech pathologist at about 30 months and he was way, way behind. (I'm talking, his highest scores were in the 5th percentile, some of them didn't even register.)

Here's an interesting page that has some really interesting links.

http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_Bowen/phonol-and-artic.htm

http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_Bowen/Table2.htm

Kayla
Member # 2403

You could take him to the school district's early screening, which is free. They won't start with speech therapy till he's three, but at least you'll have an idea of what you're dealing with. Also, if you live near a college, you might check with their speech lab. Ours had a decent program that filled the gap for us between diagnosis and when the school took over.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We finally saw the pediatrician for Superstation's speech development check up today. She is sending him for a full audiological check up (although we think his hearing is fine, it is always good to check). She is also referring him to the Early Intervention Program. Now we just have to go through the process to see if he qualifies.

He does have a few words now. Mama, Dada, hi, bye, I, me, you and some semblance of please. We think he might have said book, but we haven't been able to ask him while actually holding a book. Anyway, it is good for something to be happening about it now.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie's insanely vocal, although she's also rather shy in public and refuses to perform on command. If you kind of sidle up to her and give her an hour or two to get used to her presence, she'll talk to you -- but she routinely frustrates our attempts to "show her off" by clamming up resolutely in front of people she doesn't know well.

She's not quite at 20 months yet, and she's got at least 50 words; I stopped remarking on them after 40. Her sentences are still largely agrammatical and only about three words long -- usually something like "Daddy, milk now! Please?" or "Get up, Dad! Play Peekaboo!" "No want apple! No! Want cookie!" (Her invitation to sing "Ring Around the Rosie" is "Ash-ashes fall down now?") And while she knows all of her shapes (including, oddly enough, "hexagon" and "pentagon"), every color tends to be "yellow." [Smile]

That said, she mispronounces everything with a kind of slurred lisp. "Yellow" comes out "yayylow." "Pentagon" is "pennagon." And so on. We're working on getting her to sing songs in key now; she can get the notes right on "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" but none of the words, and has recently mastered "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

I can't begin to describe how freakishly lucky we are, because I'll be the first one to admit that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with this whole parenting stuff. I'm terrified of having a second kid, if only because I'm sure we've incurred some kind of karmic debt.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That said, she mispronounces everything with a kind of slurred lisp. "Yellow" comes out "yayylow." "Pentagon" is "pennagon." And so on.
...which is actually better than normal at her age. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. Rainbow (who'll be 4 in April) still says 'lello' for Yellow, which I love. I was sad when she stopped calling bandaids bandowies.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
She knows pentagon? The shape or the government building? *shocked either way*

My 3 1/2 year old says "Y" for all his "L" sounds - yellow is yeyyow, lion is Yion, etc. He also has a lisp, and can't say his "r's". He's the one who didn't talk at all until 21 months, though. Said Mama and Dada at a year, and then stopped saying anything at all for 9 months, until just before we were going to take him for a hearing evaluation - then he finally started. He still clams up if he thinks anyone is upset at him, and won't even say as much as yes or no.

Which is why it's such a thrill to have him jump on my lap and shout, "I yove you, mommy!"

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jenna, my husband was still doing that when he got to school, and had to have speech therapy. I hear a lot about them playing some game or another with "pipes", and KPC yelling, "It yeaks! It yeaks!" [ROFL]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it has to be for the government building!

My mom has a list, and at 19 months I knew and used 62 words one afternoon. Many of those were names of her friend's horses.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

Superstation has qualified for services through the Early Intervention Program. We have a meeting tomorrow to set up our Individualized Family Services Plan. He has been gaining more words, but he is still far below where he should be. I am both happy and sad that he qualified, if that makes any sense.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((Hugs))) It makes perfect sense.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes perfect sense.

*hugs*

Edit: I can't believe it took me four minutes to type that, but yeah, what KQ said.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It absolutely makes sense, I know the feeling. I think you'll be shocked at how quickly he makes advances with the speech/language pathologist. I know I was. When they're working with the child it doesn't seem like they're doing all that much, but with my kids they just improved by leaps and bounds once we started EI.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
MamaS, I know just how you feel - I've had that feeling so many times with Aerin. You're sad that there's a problem, but happy that it's been identified and is on its way to being treated.

Tom, are you sure that Sophie can differentiate between colors? Andrew could only pick out yellow because he's red/green colorblind.

Aerin worked with a speech pathologist when she first started eating from a bottle. She and I used to have lots of talks during our sessions - I'll post the relevant parts of what she told me later on.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my mom, I started speaking super early, but I would intermingle english and vietnamese and it took me a bit to seperate them. My brother on the other hand didn't start speaking until after three years old, and he turned out to be the genius in the family.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tom, are you sure that Sophie can differentiate between colors?

Yep. She's just started doing it correctly in the last two weeks. Now she runs up to me, brandishes a marker, and yells "Blue! Blue! Blue!" She seems very proud. [Smile] That said, "red" and "green" are still problems for her -- she gets them mixed up more than any other colors -- so maybe that's something we want to keep an eye on.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother had to see a speech therapist, but he also had some problems with his ears when he was little, so that might've had something to do with it. I remember he had to have surgery and have tubes put in.

He used to march around the Christmas tree yelling, "ME MAY FAWF! ME MAY FAWF!" His birthday is May 4th.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Colorblindness is very rare in girls. It's linked to the Y chromosome in most cases, if I recall correctly.

hmmm... more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorblind

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm colorblind and I can say as a fact that its only been a problem once since I stopped taking art classes.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
My brother had to see a speech therapist, but he also had some problems with his ears when he was little, so that might've had something to do with it. I remember he had to have surgery and have tubes put in.

He used to march around the Christmas tree yelling, "ME MAY FAWF! ME MAY FAWF!" His birthday is May 4th.

-pH

That sounds like what happened to me. I had chronic ear infections when I was little. After a long time taking medicine for them, the doctors put in ear tubes and cleared them up. I went to speech therapy for a while to relearn how to talk. People still think I have an accent, though they can't agree on what it is.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago, I managed to inhale a "t-tube"--a solid tube inserted into a tracheal stoma to wean someone off a tracheostomy. Naturally, there was a nurse on the scene, who was supposed to be assisting my mother in taking care of me. Said nurse, however, could not believe I could possibly have inhaled a t-tube, and persisted in searching for it on the floor, thinking it had fallen out, while I turned blue. According to my mother, she smiled at me and told me "Mommy's just u-p-s-e-t."

Suffice it to say, medical professionals aren't always right.

Given my breathing difficulties, it's not surprising I had some speech problems despite my verbal facilities in other respects (such as abruptly beginning to sound out street signs when I was two). Substituting incorrect sounds in a word is quite common--sometimes it's an actual speech disorder, and sometimes it just takes a while to catch on. I articulated some sounds poorly, but calling my mother "wa-wa" instead of "ma-ma" apparently wasn't related to that.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild speculation: since kids learn to use language through trial and error, if a "made up" word gets the desired result, the little one will keep using it, because obviously it works. There's a toddler at church who says "dye" when she means "what is that?" Since her parents know what she means, they answer her "question" and tell her what the thing is. "Dye," to this kid, evidently means the exact same thing, conceptually, as "what is that?" She has a word that works, so why switch?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik - my older brother apparently had an all-purpose word when he was a toddler. "Ditty" meant cookie, Gypsy (the dog), dirty, etc. He was the only child, and that word worked perfectly well to get him what he wanted; he apparently didn't really start talking until he was three and started playing with neighborhood children, who were not anxious to fulfill his every whim. Mom always says he didn't talk till he was three and he's never shut up since (he is both articulate and loquacious).

And, on the subject of pronunciations, once I showed up unexpectedly at a friend's doorstep, and her toddler greeted me with an enthusiastic "You Piggy!" While I was puzzling over why I was a piggy that particular day, I suddenly realized that I was all dressed up in skirt, heels, and makeup, and that she was accustomed to seeing me in grungy jeans or sweats. So I said, "Alayna, are you trying to tell me that I look pretty today?" "YES!" she pronounced with a delightful giggle before she scampered off. I think it will always be one of my most treasured compliments!

quote:
Sophie's insanely vocal, although she's also rather shy in public and refuses to perform on command. If you kind of sidle up to her and give her an hour or two to get used to her presence, she'll talk to you -- but she routinely frustrates our attempts to "show her off" by clamming up resolutely in front of people she doesn't know well.

Tom, sounds like your girl has a very healthy set of boundaries -- good for her! (and you)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm colorblind and I can say as a fact that its only been a problem once since I stopped taking art classes.
Andrew had a lot of problems in his college chem lab. He also wanted to join the Air Force, but you can't join any branch of the Service if you're colorblind. Other than past fashion issues (I now control his wardrobe), he hasn't had many problems, either.

As to speech issues, the speech pathologist at the hospital told me that the number one problem she has is parents modeling speech problems back at their children because they think it's cute. Not only do they get positive reinforcement, but they don't get to hear the correct pronounciation of the word. It may be cute now, but it won't be cute when they're in school and incomprehensible to their teachers and mocked by the other children. I personally don't find speech impediments, lisps, etc. cute - probably because I know how difficult it is to correct them later on and I saw a lot of my Nexus and Y kids struggle.

Early intervention is so, so important and little kids really do make astonishing progress in short periods of time. I had a 4-year-old who maybe pronounced 1 in 5 words clearly and correctly. It was very frustrating for us - it was almost like having a kid who didn't speak English in the class. We all did a lot of pointing and signing. Just when she started speech therapy, they hired a permanent counselor (I was subbing). Of course they lost another about a month later (the turnover was a bad problem they never addressed) and I subbed again. I was shocked at how far she had come and I was so excited that I kept asking her questions to get her to talk.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.