FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book Reccomendation (Please)

Author Topic: Book Reccomendation (Please)
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a book that a sixteen year old female would enjoy, but that is still semi-long in length 250-450 max... that an english teacher would recognize and count as class credit (that means it sort of needs to be something classic)

the female part is the least necessary requirement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: The Book "The Bell Jar" sounds really good.. any thoughts on this?

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing that springs to mind is Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books, but that may be a little young.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
About ten years too young, don't you think? [Wink] And I've never read "The Bell Jar".

What about Jane Eyre? by Charlotten Bronte.

When I was in grade eight* I read Rebecca by Daphne DeMaurier, which I passed off as a classic, since it almost is one. I really enjoyed that and it's quite brilliant.

Pride and Prejudice and other Jane Austen are great, especially if you're into the social aspects of books.

These are all ridiculously female books by female authors although I know that was your lowest requirement. However, all three are books that should be read.

Others, less female, that come to mind would be Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, which is one of my absolute favourites ever.

*I would probably ask if this one is classic enough. It might be a little too dramatic.

All are clearly adult books but are not difficult, as in you won't be confused or frustrated, which I find is always a Very Good Thing.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing those are too young. I think I read a couple of them in elemetary school. What about George Orwell's 1984? What kind of book are you looking for? Sci-fi, fantasy, what?

Edit: This was in response to Sterling

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I second To Kill A Mockingbird. Can't imagine how that wouldn't appeal to anyone, and it's definately accepted as a classic. And its got a good movie made of it also.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Bell Jar. It's the book I'm currently lending out to all of my friends. People say it's the female version of The Catcher in the Rye. I'm not exactly sure why. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I think they're very different.

I will also second Pride and Prejudice, but mainly because I'm in love with Mr. Darcy and want to be Elizabeth Bennet.

I also highly recommend Lahiri's The Namesake and Martel's Life of Pi.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I also really like Jane Austen. If Pride and Prejudice is too cliche, I recommend Persuasion, as it is my absolute favorite Austen.

One of my all time favorite books is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It is about a little girl growing up in Brooklyn around the turn of the century. The characters are just so beautifully drawn. None of them are perfect, but you love them in spite of, or perhaps because of, their faults. There's a lovely synopsis of the book here.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Huckleberry Finn is a wonderfully entertaining story, and I don't think any teacher could fail to count it as credit. It may run towards the long side of your request, but it's worth it.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of books that I had to read for school that I actually enjoyed:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte -- it's a drudge to read, but the story really grew on me
Seconding Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte-- much less of a drudge to read than her sister's novel, I felt.
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (I'm really interested to read the sequel -- Tramp For the Lord).
The Diary of Anne Frank
Night by Elie Weisel
Can you read plays? Don't shy away from Shakespeare-he's better on stage, but even written it's fantastic (I found comedies better to read than tragedies).
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde was also a good high school read.
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (spelling likely butchered) -- much less of a 'girly' novel, and pretty short, but very good nonetheless.

Might also try the Joy Luck Club, Where the Heart is, The Poisonwood Bible. They're contemporary and (gasp!) Oprah Book Club books, but I thought they were good and well-written. I read them myself when I was 15-16.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collissimon
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for collissimon   Email collissimon         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale?

It's an amazing book about a dystopic future!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, if she can choose a play, how about "Cyrano de Bergerac?"
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Poisonwood Bible for class when I was a high school freshman. To date, it's one of my favorite books.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
While all the suggestions are great, I'm amused. As a 16-year old female, most of my favorite authors were men.

Why not F. Scott Fizgerald or JD Salinger? They both write from both male and female perspectives and often deal with adolescent/post-adolescent issues. Fitzgerlad's This Side of Paradise totally resonated with my teenage self, even though the protagonist was in college.

The Bell Jar is good in that Plath is an exceptional writer, but it's really a depressing book. It's more of a conceptual read emotionally and if you are good at identifying tropes it would be OK for a paper, but there aren't a lot of discrete plot points or characters.

There is also Wuthering Heights if you really want that girly love story.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo... I agree with almost all of these suggestions, especially The Poisonwood Bible and Life of Pi. I would also suggest East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Although a little long, it's my favorite book to date. I read it as a summer reading book in high school as well, so I think it would be a perfect book.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck and enjoyed it.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Ishmael's a doozy. Daniel Quinn thinks interestingly.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.