FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's a bird...it's a plane...it's...

Author Topic: It's a bird...it's a plane...it's...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
... the full Superman Returns trailer!

Promising things:

Ma Kent seems right.

Kevin Spacey as Luthor seems right.

Routh's voices for Clark and Superman seem right.

The FX? Stunning.

Bothersome things:

That kid looks -too- cute.

Some of the humor seems to be trying too hard.

I'll definitely check it out this June.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Superman? *hiss*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I had pretty much written this movie off a while ago. After seeing this trailer, it looks like I might have been a bit too quick to judge.

[ June 18, 2006, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Link doesn't work. Quick Time is a pain. [Mad]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Quicktime? *hiss*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Odd...these links work just fine for me, but they're giving every one else no end of trouble.

I feel...guilty, somehow. [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'll have to ante up some money and go to the movies. [Big Grin]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is that he looks too perfect, too airbrushed. I'm still excited, as Kevin Spacey looks amazing, but I'm not too sure about Superman. I'll probably still go see it anyway.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Superman does look a bit plastic-faced. Especially those eyebrows.

But otherwise, yeah, this looks great. Can't wait to see the full version.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got issues with the apparent plot and how it'll change the dynamics, but there's enough right that I'm eager to see it. Jimmy has red hair! And a bowtie!

The cinematography looks great, and the theme music still gives me chills.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, wait...lane has a kid now?

Never was much of a superman fan....so still pretty meh...but thats to be expected...

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize Lois & the gang are not exactly mental giants to begin with -- not being able to recognize a close friend without his glasses, for instance -- but isn't it going to be kind of suspicious that Superman and Clark Kent both disappeared, have been gone for several years and then both return at the same time?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's rumors that Superman and Clark are a bit more than friends (wink wink, nudge, nudge) if you know what I mean. Poor Lois.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just betrayed by a friend and given a spoiler about its apparent plot. If it's true, I'm wary of the movie.

Plus, lord, Singer's too smart to emulate Gene Hackman. Didn't he learn from the cartoon (or even Smallville)? That is not Lex Luthor!

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the airbrushed thing is obvious. Not a fan of that, but I like Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

I totally didn't like the Tom Cruise haircut they gave him in Clark Kent mode. Looks ridiculous.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Irregardless:
but isn't it going to be kind of suspicious that Superman and Clark Kent both disappeared, have been gone for several years and then both return at the same time?

Yes, yes it is.

But nothing in the almost 70 years of Superman comics has ever added up to anything that made real world sense.

Kryptonite, the Phantom Zone, the Secret Identity Disguise, the Powers, the Costume...none of it makes a LICK of sense of viewed by the light of reality.

Superman is a fun character. His stories also require an almost total suspension of disbelief.

Earl
Member # 9328

- posted      Profile for Earl   Email Earl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a diehard Superman fan... This movie just looks simply amazing. Kevin Spacey as Lex... Perfect. That's my two cents.... Read birthright! Gives it's own interpretations of a lot of Superman's history.

~Earl

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Kryptonite, the Phantom Zone, the Secret Identity Disguise, the Powers, the Costume...none of it makes a LICK of sense of viewed by the light of reality.

This lack of real sense is why I usually avoid Superman comics. I might see the movie just because. But Superman is TOO perfect. I like a good comic, like Spiderman, where the characters are flawed and basically human.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Spider-Man! Nothing more believable than radiation that causes cool powers instead of sickness and death, a super-model wife, mystic spider-totems, and villains who never truly die! [Wink]

[ May 03, 2006, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Not all of it is very realistic. But there are a lot of deeply human parts. At least, he is vulnerable to his enemies without some sort of stupid mineral.

A better example is Captain America.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I focus on the runs of each comic that deal with the human aspects of being a superhero. And the fun aspects [Smile]

Whgen they start doing arcs of mysterious new powers, splitting into blue and red versions, new costumes, clones, new insect arms that sprout out of the back, or kryptonite in all colors of the rainbow,, I just stop buying and wait until they come to their senses again.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I make an official prediction that Superman Returns will be one of the most suprising movies released in a long time--suprising, in that it will be much better than most people are expecting.

A lot of people are nervous about it, but I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised, if not blown away. And I don't mean just by special effects and super powers. I hate movies that are just eye candy and action. I predict it will have both a great story and revolutionary effects.

You heard it here first.

Mark my words. [Smile]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I still can't get myself excited over this movie. Though I have to admit, the last little bit of the trailer is really cute [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a sin to miss.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Any superhero who wears a cape loses ten cool points. Except for Dr. Strange. Dr. Strange rules.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, but when all is said and done, when I walk out of a movie, I'm not sayin, "That would have been a great movie if it hadn't been for that cape, or that bright-colored outfit, or that hair curl."

Once they watch it, people will only complain about these minor design issues if the rest of the movie sucked. And it won't.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.