FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heath Ledger = Joker

Author Topic: Heath Ledger = Joker
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/721/721174p1.html

I'm willing to believe that Heath Ledger has enough potential to play the joker, I wonder if he will figure out the nuances well enough. In anycase I was suprised that he was selected.

If his portrayal is going to be completely different from Nicholsons portrayal. What can that mean?

And here I was hoping for Mark Hamill would finally get to stop voicing him and actually play him.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, while having the perfect voice, is just a tad bit too old to play the part, since they're playing Batman so young.

Nicholson's portrayal was very unique to him...I think that, while it worked, a very different Joker (several, in fact) exists in the comics. I just hope Ledger goes there to research the role, rather than just watching Nicholson.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Carrey did a passible, though nowhere near dark and homicidal enough, portrayal of the Joker when he played The Riddler.

Nicholson's Joker was a cool guy, part mob boss, part Jack Nicholson, with just a little bit of cartoon thrown in. The Joker is usually much more manic and random.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, Ledger has the grin for it.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
He's got the right smile.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought. I didn't know that he could, like, do more than sit around and try to look laid back. This'll be interesting.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Jim Carrey did a passible, though nowhere near dark and homicidal enough, portrayal of the Joker when he played The Riddler.

Nicholson's Joker was a cool guy, part mob boss, part Jack Nicholson, with just a little bit of cartoon thrown in. The Joker is usually much more manic and random.

The Joker and Riddler are two different people. The Joker is very dark where the Riddler never seemed dark to me!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Myr, that's exactly how I see him. He is one of the most boring actors I've ever seen. He's boring to look at (he's all the same color. hair, skin, everything!), and so far he's boring to watch in a film. I'd like to hope that Nolan is such an awesome director that he can pull out the 'not boring' in Heath Ledger. 'twill be a task indeed. [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
MrSquicky knew that, I believe. What he was saying that Carrey's portrayal of the Riddler would have been perfect for the Joker if he had made it a little darker and homocidal.

Basically, what you just said.

Anyway, it says that the Joker won't appear until halfway through the movie, but how will that work out since the Joker is "introduced" at the end of Batman Begins?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

He won't appear...but that doesn't mean his actions won't be seen.

Remember, how long was it in "Jaws" before you actually saw the shark?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
OSTY,
I was being...I guess sarcastic kinda fits. Jim Carrey's role was The Riddler, a character who is supposed to be highly cerebral, arrogant, and controlled whose schemes were intricated designed, but always with clues that could be deciphered. He played a character much more akin to The Joker, manic, chaotic, and flamboyant.

I enjoyed both Nicholson's and Carrey's performances, but they were neither of them true to the canonical concepts of their respective characters.

[ July 28, 2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
The article says that the Joker will have a backstory. I wonder if that means that Ledger will appear early and throughout the movie's first half but not appear in full make-up as the Joker until later in the movie. This would focus the first half of the movie on the Joker's origin as just a normal crook without he makeup, which I figure will be pretty closly tied to Bruce Wayne given Director Nolan's preference of focusing on the man behind the mask.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Narnia, that's exactly the word I was looking for. Boring! He is boring!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Hmm, and an aussie Joker would actually be pretty cool, too . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
OSTY,
I was being...I guess sarcastic kinda fits. Jim Carrey's role was The Riddler, a character who is supposed to be highly cerebral, arrogant, and controlled whose schemes were intricated designed, but always with clues that could be deciphered. He played a character much more akin to The Joker, manic, chaotic, and flamboyant.

I enjoyed both Nicholson's and Carrey's performances, but they were neither of them true to the canonical concepts of their respective characters.

ok sorry just must have misunderstood what you were saying
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, sure - but come on. I don't see ledger as the joker.

Here's a picture I made.

And here's someone who COULD have done it based on looks alone. Vincent Cassell. As long as he doesn't have a thick FRONCH accent, he could be great.

So far, I think Ledger as the Joker is a mistake.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hahaha, I love the makeup on Ledger. Hilarious.

And I don't know who that second dude is, but based on that picture alone, I would like to take him for my wife.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Seconds Myrddin on both comments.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I've seen with Vincent Cassell was Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
There are some good manips out there. This one is the best I've seen.

I like the somewhat calmer DKR Joker, which I could see Ledger doing.

Something like this.

[ July 29, 2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Lord Solar Macharius ]

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I really hope his eyebrows can *move*. They just kinda lounge up there on top of his eyeballs.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Och, why do they have to have multiple villains? Can't they trust one strong villain to carry the story?

I'm sure it can be done well... But I also can't entirely forget that someone's decision that every Batman movie had to have multiple villains definitely played a role in the slide down to Batman and Robin-land.

I think Ledger's a pretty good actor. He's certainly "pretty" enough to imagine someone who would be driven to psychosis by disfigurement. What he'd bring to the Joker, I can't quite picture.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman begins was able to do multiple villians fairly well. If the article is correct in saying that he won't appear until the second half of the movie, then it would probably be done simmilar to Batman Begins (in the sense that he is part of a larger overall plot).
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that could work.

But still... Batman and Robin. <shudder>

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

Batman-On-Film has posted an update on Ledger and possible Penguin casting.

quote:
Y'all are going to LOVE this! I think. Anyway, this comes in from probably my best source who confirmed many things for BOF in the past (such as the Katie Holmes and Ken Watanabe casting; the offer made to Ledger). Here goes:

As you have long suspected, the two main villains in the BATMAN BEGINS sequel will be The Joker and The Penguin.

I can confirm (as I did a few weeks ago) that while an offer has been made to Heath Ledger, Ledger has not signed any deal, and is reluctant to do so (at the moment.) Ledger is not a lock.

It seems Nolan has been listening to you guys when it comes to casting his other villain, however. I can confirm that an offer has been made to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the role. Yet Hoffman has indicated that he may not get involved in the sequel.

Also, industry reaction to the Ledger 'leak' has been much like the fans: A fair bit of head scratching, and a generally tepid response.

So the scuttlebutt long reported by BOF that The Penguin will be in the sequel looks to be true (The rumor is that he'll be a British arms dealer/mob boss with designs on Gotham). Also, this was the second time in a very short time frame that I heard that Ledger, while offered the part, had not yet signed on. While I'm down with the offer to Ledger due to my trust of Chris Nolan, I've on record saying that I would've prefered someone else for the part (like my choice, Lachy Hulme). There's a bit more to this, so check back later today for additional info.

Edit: Jett has just updated again:
quote:
I can confirm that Heath Ledger will indeed be The Joker in the next Batman film (which was broke by LATINO REVIEW originally) and it will be titled THE DARK KNIGHT (per Warner Bros.). Take it to the bank boys, it’ll be in the trades tomorrow...
So there we go. Look for Ledger to be signed on for The Dark Knight.

[ July 31, 2006, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Lord Solar Macharius ]

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Ledger impressed me with his acting in Brokeback Mountain - a lot! Before going to that movie, I had no idea he had that in him as an actor.

Maybe he has manical in him as well - just hasn't had a chance to show it yet.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Joker AND Penguin?? Come on, they got their own movies already. Aren't there enough other villains in canon to come up with someone else to carry the story???
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Just because The Penguin is in it doesn't mean he'll be a main character. He could be, for example, the villain Batman is investigating when he runs afoul of the Joker.
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

The plot outline as I've heard so far:

With the fall of the Roman Empire in Batman Begins, various mob forces are all trying to grab a piece of Gotham. Newly appointed District Attorney Harvey Dent teams up with Lieutenant James Gordon and the Batman to stem this growing tide of violence and clean up the corruption running rampant in the GCPD. Meanwhile, the Joker killings are becoming more frequent and more violent, pushing the city to its knees.

The Penguin fits into all of this as an arms supplier. Other rumoured characters include Sarah Essen as an ATF officer and Roman Sionis (aka Black Mask) as a past associate of Wayne’s and a player in the Gotham organised crime scene (False Face Society).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.