FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I put a Chevy 350 in my Prius (plus google-fu question)

Author Topic: I put a Chevy 350 in my Prius (plus google-fu question)
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Really.

It was in the trunk. In pieces.

Once I get it rebuilt I'll put in back in the truck, where it belongs.

[ September 04, 2006, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

Now I'm imagining people using Prius bodies to make the most fuel-wasteful hot rod they can imagine.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I had images of this prius with a huge hood scoop and fire coming out of its tailpipes?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that was funny!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a porche engine in a 60s volkswagen.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few '60s Porsches had VW engines in them.

I once saw a chopped and channelled Beetle with a big block chevy motor in it run an 1/8 mile track. The motor blew a piston right out the bottom of the engine, about halfway down the track. Still had an impressive time however...

No doubt someday soon someone will indeed put a Prius body on a drag car frame, just for a laugh. But I haven't seen it yet.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has built an Electric Dragster
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an SUV today with the license plate "STAR EV 1". I couldn't decide whether it was intentional irony, or whether it meant something altogether different.

There needs to be a TV show about the last EV 1, which was stolen and never returned to be mulched. Maybe it could be a spinoff of Hiatus.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

That's a step in the right direction. There was a time when the racing industry could claim that they were developing new technology with street applications, but that argument has been getting pretty thin lately.

But EVs have to be appealing in order to be successful. So cars like this dragster, the Venturi Fetish and the Tesla can do a lot by making EVs sexy.

Now doesn't someone else have to make one, so they can race?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Bob's post about the dragster got me thinking. Motorsports are undoubtedly a waste of energy, but I wonder how much of our energy use actually goes into powering race cars? Is it comparable to the energy use for travel or other forms of entertainment?

I don't know how to go about looking for the answer, but maybe someone with better google-fu than me can find something on it.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The amount of energy "wasted" on motorsports over the past century plus a few years has been estimated to equal the amount of energy needed for the human race to have colonized the moon.

This figure is inclusive of monster truck rallies, of course.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. *nods sagely at Bob.*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, nice data, but I question the word "wasted."

With motorsports you get Grand Prix, Formula 1, Eric Bostrom, motocross, snowmobiling, monster truck rallies (of course), Nascar, and (link):
quote:
Most people won't know this, but I'm here to educate (!). One such moment of humanism in motor sport was at Le Mans in 1967, where Dan Gurney created a now traditional act. Standing on the victory podium, he was handed the obligatory bottle of champagne. But Gurney wanted to share his mighty achievement with the throng of people surrounding him. Instead of drinking it, he spontaneously decided to spray it over the assembled crowd.

Speaking later, he said, "I was so stoked that when they handed me the Magnum of Moet et Chandon, I shook the bottle and began spraying at the photographers, drivers, Henry Ford II, Carroll Shelby and their wives. It was a very special moment at the time, I was not aware that I had started a tradition that continues in winner's circles all over the world to this day"

Colonize the moon, and whattya got? A few geeks on a dead satellite, 47 conspiracy websites claiming the whole thing was faked on a Nevada movie set, and one old lady complaining that having people on the moon is ruining the weather in Poughkeepsie.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
John, my mom doesn't live in Poughkeepsie.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I do.
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John, my mom doesn't live in Poughkeepsie.
Yuck it up, chuckles [Smile] You're just lucky your mom doesn't read Hatrack.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Hey, the truck started up today. There is something wierd about building an engine up from the bare bones. Talk about an "It's Alive!" moment.

The antichrist lives again.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.