FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Thing About Spoiled Brats

Author Topic: The Thing About Spoiled Brats
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
They can give you botulism, which is a nasty little bug. So don't eat anything that looks like this, or you could end up with sores that look like this. Ugh.

As you can see, this family has a case that is still in its early stages. If left untreated, they could end up like these guys.

Here is a particularly advanced case.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you cook the brat, it should kill the botulism, making it safe to eat...
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*THWAP*

Don't spoil the Funny with facts, man!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Boiled sprats are even better. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But boiled spats? Disgusting. There's not enough ketchup in all the world to make boiled spats appetizing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Boiled sprats? With extra sprat?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Or broiled spats... [Wink]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is possibly the best thread ever.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Good Cod, OSC, another fish-based thread, goes down in history as the best dobie thread ever. [Big Grin]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You people don't know Bratwurst. All your exposure to German sausages is confined to whatever watered-down, derivative pap the Altria Corp (owner of Kraft) ships to your local grocery store.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Well if you cook the brat, it should kill the botulism, making it safe to eat...

No! No! No!

Cooking might kill the bacteria responsible for botulism, but normal cooking temperatures do not inactivate the botulin toxin produced by those bacteria.

That is to say, cooking home-canned green beans would not make them safe if they'd been improperly canned. Similarly for sausage.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Good Cod, OSC, another fish-based thread, goes down in history as the best dobie thread ever. [Big Grin]

Wrong! "I don't believe in Kama" is provably the greatest dobie ever! [Razz]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky's right. That was an amazing dobie.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second,

Are we not talking about eating children?

...And I was just writing up my next modest proposal.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter: Lois, you've got a sick mind!
Lois: Peter, I'm talking about making love.
Peter: Oh, I thought you wanted us to murder the children and harvest their organs for beer money.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think you could get botulism from brats ...
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I didn't think you could get botulism from brats ...

Why not? *curious
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Botulism was first explored as an infectious disease right around the the beginning of the 19th century, just subsequent to several poisionings (in Great Britain, I think) by locally-made sausages. If I recall correctly, it was originally called the "sausage disease."
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Botulism was formerly known as "Kerner's Disease." It was named after the man who signed the death certificate of people who ate contaminated sausage and died in an outbreak in Germany.
You know, there's a link you could follow in the first post. [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Wink]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"sausage disease"?

I heard that penecillin and good hygene would clear that up right away.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Good one, Icky. I stand in awe.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That was just...Icky.

Dang it, why did I keep clicking? Why? I knew it would get nastier with each click, yet click I did.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.