FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 300

Author Topic: 300
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this movie mentioned here. I saw the trailer when I went to see "The Departed". I think it looks good. Really good. In fact, it has me salivating.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this movie definitely looks good. There was a topic here earlier on it, but I couldn't find it when I looked.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks... uhh... very Chinese. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's about a comic book, but come on, they aren't even wearing armor! One of the most important battles in history is going to be Hollywoodized to the point of bastardization.

I'll not contribute to it by seeing it in theaters, much as I love the subject matter, I refuse to reward them for ruining my history books.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait. This looks fantastic. I hope it lives up to the trailer.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can't actually have expected them to have read Herodotus. My standards are really very low. The Count of Monte Cristo was destroyed. The Harry Potter books were destroyed. The Roman Empire was destroyed (stirrups in Gladiator? Come on). So I have no expectation for this movie to be anything near realistic. But that doesn't mean it won't be good.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I expect they'll steal the most famous line from Herodotus, about the arrows blotting out the sun and fighting in the shade. And maybe the thing about Xerxes whipping the Hellespont for destroying his first bridge.

But come on, the most fearsome fighting force in the world at the time, for a couple hundred years prior and afterwards didn't wear ARMOR? That doesn't even make sense, considering the Greeks were basically the only armed professional forces (hoplite warfare) that fought with heavy armor at the time, which is a large part of why they beat the crap out of the Persians at Thermopylae. The Persians were the ones wearing light armor and fighting with short swords (among other things among the varying peoples that fought for the Persians).

I don't expect a live action version of the ancient story, but come on, it should at least be believable or logical.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the battle Tom Cruise references to Katsumoto in "The Last Samurai?"

Movie looks entertaining, I hope it does not get too caught up with the mode of presentation instead of the actual story its trying to tell.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yes, Blackblade, it is. And Lyrhawn, like I mentioned, no one made much of a stench over the anachronistic inclusion of stirrups in Gladiator. I personally wasn't fond of the movie in general, but it wasn't because of this glaring incongruency (it's because I'm not especially fond of Russel Crowe). I'm just saying that I've learned to live with the constant hooey Hollywood serves up. I don't see the point of getting righteously indignant with the devil.
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Looks... uhh... very Chinese. [Big Grin]

I suspect there's a joke here, but I'm not getting it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Well, you can't actually have expected them to have read Herodotus.

That doesn't really mean anything, as Herodotus's account is so clearly full of errors (a Persian army of nearly 5.5 million, anyone?) that large parts of it are discounted by modern-day historians, including, for example, that Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks. There's been so much research done on the battle that it would be better for anyone doing this movie to read a modern-day historical text on it, which admittedly must replace Herdotus's errors with educated guesses. Besides, you have to remember that the movie is being based off Frank Miller's rendition of the battle of Thermopylae in his comic The 300, so a lot of the more fantastic stuff you'll see in the movie will come from that and the legends surrounding the battle.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've seen educated guesses that range from several hundred thousand to a million and a half.

And I'm not talking about something like stirrups. Would it have made much sense if the Romans in the opening battle of Gladiator were naked, and the wild men of the Rhine were heavily armed?

I know this is based off the comic, but some things just defy all logic, and I think it's stupid. I loved Sin City, stylistically. I could love this too, stylistically. But content matters, and this is just silly.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Why was there a rhino...
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Looks... uhh... very Chinese.
It was actually one of my first thoughts as well. It looks a lot like a Chinese martial arts movie along the lines of Hero or House of Flying Daggers.

I thought the trailor was very interesting. I'd be very surprised if I enjoyed the movie though. It is very had to sustain something of that intesity for a full 90+ minutes and still end up with something good.

That was Nine Inch Nails in the trailor by the way. I believe it is from the Fragile. Some of the best movie and trailor music around is from that album I would say.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I've seen educated guesses that range from several hundred thousand to a million and a half.

And I'm not talking about something like stirrups. Would it have made much sense if the Romans in the opening battle of Gladiator were naked, and the wild men of the Rhine were heavily armed?

I know this is based off the comic, but some things just defy all logic, and I think it's stupid. I loved Sin City, stylistically. I could love this too, stylistically. But content matters, and this is just silly.

The figure I see most agreed on is between 300k and 400k.

And yeah, I agree with you, that even though it is more based off Frank Miller's portrayal of the battle, it is still ridiculous. I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and neither he nor I could fathom what possibly made them think that having the Spartans wear no armor was a good idea.

As for the Chinese flair, I don't really see or feel it, but it's clearly there for others, so.

As for other movies that look interesting, has anyone checked out Children of Men or Pan's Labyrinth? CoM released in England a few months ago, and Pan's Labyrinth was screened at the Toronto Film Festival (I think), and both have been getting really fantastic reviews. They look beautiful and intriguing, and I can't wait for them to come out. This season is looking to be particularly strong for movies.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Looks... uhh... very Chinese.

Xavier got it right. And while I liked Hero as a very atmospheric story that did not need to be believed as seen, others like Crouching Tiger seemed just good ol' unbelievable Chinese movies. Still okish, but not something I'd die to see. :shrug:

And trailers look cool. Movies, not always.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes.
This looks really cheesy... [Smile]
They made a comic of the battle? And now a movie of the comic? I guess some people like their history like they like their vodka, triple distilled.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I can't wait for the book made after the movie. Should be a blast. Oh, and the video game made after the book. [Big Grin]
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would it have made much sense if the Romans in the opening battle of Gladiator were naked, and the wild men of the Rhine were heavily armed?
Much sense? No. But it would have made a much more re-watchable movie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there are two threads about this movie. And the other thread has a huge historical/something debate so tread lightly if you go to the other one. LOL

I just wanted to mention there is a wonderful book about this battle (has nothing to do with this movie) by Steven Pressfield.

I'd highly recommend reading it.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.