FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've been catching up on Stargate Atlantis -- SPOILERS!

Author Topic: I've been catching up on Stargate Atlantis -- SPOILERS!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(BTW, kq, I found a new supplier for my habit. [Wink] )

I <3 McKay and Mrs. Miller! The first 3 minutes are absolute, pure genius!!! (Although I do wonder how a grad student (or maybe post-doc?) English major could afford that house. And given the many many actual mathematicians and physicists at Caltech, why did they have to invent a fictitious Dr. Graham Peel? Would've been much cooler if they had used a real name. Kip Thorne would've been good.)

And the rest of the episode was almost as good. Kate Hewlett is brilliant. And two Rodneys was so much fun! [Big Grin] David Hewlett is pretty brilliant himself.

And the hug scene near the end made me cry. That was just AWESOME.

New, all-time, favorite Stargate episode. It even edged out Window of Opportunity, which I adore.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and I almost forgot one of the best parts.

MEREDITH! bwaHAHAHAHAHA!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

McKay and Mrs Miller and Grace Under Pressure are the two best Atlantis episodes yet. So good.

Btw, have you read any of the Barista, yet?

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Grace was good. But not nearly as good as Mrs Miller.

Partly because I actually don't much care for the McKay/Carter interaction. They bring out the worst in each other, in many ways.

Um . . . I keep forgetting about the Barista. [Blushing] Ask me again after I finish the last couple SGA eps.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a lot of this season, but...

quote:
New, all-time, favorite Stargate episode. It even edged out Window of Opportunity, which I adore.
THAT is a serious allegation!!!!

Window of Oppotunity is number one of my top five! You're talking gibberish! I really did want to see that one though.

Is everyone keeping on on their Stargate news? There's a lot of rumblings on saving SG-1, an SG-1 movie, and starting a third series.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Partly because I actually don't much care for the McKay/Carter interaction. They bring out the worst in each other, in many ways.

I love the McKay/Carter interaction. Anytime those two get together is a highlight for me.

Gateworld is reporting a go-ahead for TWO SG1 movies (direct to DVD, possibly also aired on SciFi).

***Minor Spoilers for SG1 Movies***

The first one is supposed to wrap up the Ori storyline and the second will involve time travel. They are supposed to be out fall 2007.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of a time travel story. I cringed all the way through Moebius 1&2, I would have hoped the last of SG1 would focus more on the core of the show. Direct to DVD isn't all that great either, but just so long as I get my Stargate, it's fine. What I'm hoping is that the two movies will allow the writers to satisfactorily wrap up the SG1 storyline. If they do that well, I'll be happy.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:

I'm not thrilled about the idea of a time travel story. I cringed all the way through Moebius 1&2, I would have hoped the last of SG1 would focus more on the core of the show. Direct to DVD isn't all that great either, but just so long as I get my Stargate, it's fine. What I'm hoping is that the two movies will allow the writers to satisfactorily wrap up the SG1 storyline. If they do that well, I'll be happy.

Me two. Moebius was an extremely weak episode, and I can't see much good coming of a movie based around that idea. This is especially true if they are going to wrap up one of the largest remaining story threads.

Still, at least they aren't doing a movie based on that whole alternate universe thing. That is seriously one of my least favorite parts of the show, and I wish that it had never been introduced. I guess it just kind of cheapens everything to know that no matter what happens, there are going to be numerous alternate universes where they lose anyways, and even if they do lose there would still be plenty that they win in.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, kq, I found a new supplier for my habit
Does that mean you don't want the three tapes I have?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I'd love an excuse to see you guys. [Smile] And I haven't quite mastered the whole getting episodes-from-my-computer-to-a-form-I-can-watch-on-my-TV thing yet.

But I'm not twitching or anything. [Wink]

And Miro, not only do I disagree with you on McKay/Carter, I loved Moebius. And not just because of the shipper part of me (which survives every time I try to stamp the darn thing out). [Wink]

Then again, I tend to love time-travel episodes in general. SG and otherwise. Yup, I'm one of those people. [Evil]

Miro
Member # 1178

I really like 1969, Window of Opportunity, and2010/2001. WoO is one of my alltime favorite hours of TV. But Moebius was just painful. I could have handled it in the middle of a season. But as the season finale? Jack's last adventures with SG1? It doesn't do the show justice. More than anything that happened in the 'alternate timeline', what bugged me was the decision-making process to go back in the first place.

Btw, if you like Moebius (or even if you don't), you really should check this. It's the first one listed.

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol.

That was good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
WoO made me laugh harder than any other episode of any other show ever has. O'Neill and the Ketchup and mustard scene has to be one of the most classicly perfect things ever.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ah! I love that part.

Though my favorite part by far is when he's hitting golf balls into the Stargate, and Hammond yells at him:

"Colonel O'Neill what the hell are you doing?!"
::Pause::
"In the middle of my backswing!?"

Oh, such a great episode. "200" is the only episode that came close to making me laugh as hard.

[ October 13, 2006, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Miro
Member # 1178

You mean 200?

Have you ever listened to the commentary for Window of Opportunity? Peter Deluise is a hoot.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

200? Whoops. I'll have to edit that.

The 300 thread is doing loops in my mind I guess.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Have you ever listened to the commentary for Window of Opportunity? Peter Deluise is a hoot.

He is indeed. Apple didn't fall far from the tree there, eh? [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Btw, have you read any of the Barista, yet?

I'm on chapter 6. So fun! [Big Grin]

Even if the woman says "disorientated" (and she's not even a Brit! so why would she DO that?) and thinks pluralization with an apostrophe is acceptable. >_<

rivka
Member # 4859

I have now read it all. The 8 chapters of The Assistant as well.

And there IS NO MORE!!! [Angst] [Eek!] [Cry]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *sniffle*

Miro
Member # 1178

There should be more relatively soon. It's addicting, isn't it?

I'd also highly recommend her Behind the Scenes Series and Imbroglio.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
There should be more relatively soon.
Promises, promises.
quote:
It's addicting, isn't it?
Yes! And I totally blame you. Well, and Hazel. But she's not here, so I'm sticking with blaming you.

quote:
I'd also highly recommend her Behind the Scenes Series
3/4 done at the moment.
quote:
and Imbroglio.
Up next. [Big Grin]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
WoO is in fact brilliant. It's funny how they could take such a cliche concept and make it so enjoyable. I also love the ketchup and mustard scene. And the bicycle. And the golf. And the juggling!

Other great episodes: Lost City, The Reckoning, 200, The Pegasus Project. I wasn't such a big fan of Moebius, and I think The Reckoning would have made a better season finale. Oh well.

I also liked Fragile Balance, because the kid they got to play O'Neill did such an incredible job. I'd love to see another episode so we can find out what sort of havoc mini O'Neill's been wreaking.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
and Imbroglio.
*chokes* [ROFL]
quote:
"Teal'c thought it would be good to teach you ‘Move again and I will kill you' in Goa'uld?!"
quote:
Jim turned the card over and read scrawled in permanent marker, ‘If owner is found dead or unconscious, please return to Col. Jack O'Neill."
[Laugh]
quote:
Curiosity made him turn the card over. ‘If found dead or unconscious, please check surrounding area for Dr. Daniel Jackson.'
*choke*
can't. breathe! [ROFL]

Miro
Member # 1178

Glad you enjoyed them. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.