FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FRUSTRATION. ARGH!!

Author Topic: FRUSTRATION. ARGH!!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so freakin' angry right now. I've applied to HP so that I can get myself a computer, and I was denied. I tried again with my mom's info(with permission, mind you) instead, and AGAIN was denied.
The thing is WE CAN PAY FOR IT, the only reason that I want to finance said computer is because this quarter, my mother needs me to help her with some expenses, but I'd finish paying off the computer by January. I'd buy it then but I NEED A COMPUTER THIS QUARTER.

I'm a little angry that now I'm only going to be able to give my mother $800 instead of the $2000 I told I might be able to give.

Who would approve a credit line of at least 1500 to either my mother or I???

I don't know what to do. I thought that maybe I could be able to get a credit card and finance it that way, but for some reason I'm not being approved either and that bothers me even more. I have not tried that option with my mother's info because I don't know if it could damage her credit if she was denied that too.

Long story short, I need a computer NOW, but I can't pay it off until January.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
As I am a firm believer in not financing things that depreciate as quickly as computers, I have to tell you I think this is a good thing. Pay cash for it, or you don't need it.

Seriously, I know that sounds harsh, but you can use computers at school or at public libraries for school work you absolutely must do, then wait and buy a new computer in January.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I was making a big move and wanted to get rid of everything I owed on anything - so that I could start from scratch and start my savings all over again. My Mom told me it was a bad idea to leave myself with nothing to fall back on.

What I ended up doing was going to my credit union (as opposed to bank) and applying for a personal loan. It was really simple. I ended up using that money to pay everything off and then paying off the loan as I had the money (but leaving myself a little buffer).

I'm not sure how much they give up to but I'm pretty sure 1200 for a new computer (especially where you can prove you can pay it back) is within their range? Another good thing is it helps to build your credit score and at my cu there was no fee for paying it off early. The rate was a little high (about 11%) but you can pick and choose your terms.

Just an idea if you really need to get that computer now and still want to be able to help out your Mom.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you buy a second hand computer? They are very cheap and will do perfectly.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you need to spend that much for a computer O_O?
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
My fancy name brand computer that cost $1250 with a 1 year warranty lasted one year and six weeks and is not reparable.

My emachine from Walmart was $348 with a 2 year warranty and does everything the other computer did just fine.

From now on, I'm going cheap, and tossing it and buying a new one when it dies.

Also, I replaced my laptop with a 60GB portable HD. Why lug a computer when nearly everyplace I go has PCs with USB ports available. (school, library, friends houses, work) Consider what your needs really are.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The things I need don't come cheap, that's why.
I need a minimum of 1 gig ram, GOOD graphics card and 2.0 GHtz of processor speed...

My plans were financing until January and then get rid of the debt.

The computers at school have done well since I last got my computer stolen in July, but for the projects I am working on now, I need a computer that is MINE.

For those that don't know me very well, I'm a Sophomore attending the Art Institute of CA in San Diego and my program of study is Media Arts and Animation. I need a computer that can smoothly operate programs such as Maya, 3D Studio Max and the Adobe Creative Suite.

EDIT: I'd go to Wal-Mart too, but they don't carry what I need.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you absolutely must have the computer, then buy it. Your mother is an adult, and I'm sure she can take care of herself if she really needs to without relying on her child for money.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, that wasn't a very tactful way of asking what you need the computer for *takes foot out of mouth* Do you need a monitor and stuff or just the box?
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I would apply for free credit reports from the three agencies - if you really don't know why your credit is that bad (and your mother's), then something is very wrong with it, and you need to find out what that is.

Um - can't you get a refurbished computer direct from the manufacturer with warranty for less than $1500? Or build it yourself? Something about that price seems screwy, even with your requirements . . .

Also do you need the thing for work or school, or for fun? Not that fun isn't important too - but maybe wait a bit if it's not a real NEED. Keep that credit score up!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The things I need don't come cheap, that's why.
I need a minimum of 1 gig ram, GOOD graphics card and 2.0 GHtz of processor speed...

Assuming you don't want anything ridiculous, like a terrabyte of hard drive space, a pretty case, or an LCD monitor, you can get a fully functional system that meets these specs (with a minimum Radeon X800GT 256 mb video card) for under $600, easily.

If you want help, e-mail through my Hatrack profile.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Samarkand:
I would apply for free credit reports from the three agencies - if you really don't know why your credit is that bad (and your mother's), then something is very wrong with it, and you need to find out what that is.

Um - can't you get a refurbished computer direct from the manufacturer with warranty for less than $1500? Or build it yourself? Something about that price seems screwy, even with your requirements . . .

Also do you need the thing for work or school, or for fun? Not that fun isn't important too - but maybe wait a bit if it's not a real NEED. Keep that credit score up!

I've already stated that I need it for school.
I'd build it myself and stuff except for the part where it's practically impossible to build a laptop, which is what I need. A desktop is nice and everything, but I need the mobility that a laptop gives me so that I can work anywhere I can since I move around a lot.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
If you absolutely must have the computer, then buy it. Your mother is an adult, and I'm sure she can take care of herself if she really needs to without relying on her child for money.

My mother provides food and shelter for me. She was also my co-signer for my student loans and commercial art school is EXPENSIVE. Without my mother, I'd have no education.

EDIT: My mother does agree that if I cannot finance it I should just buy it but I still want to give her whatever money I have left because I know she needs it.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

OMG. Paypal approved my credit!!! Great, I can go ahead with my plan!!! They gave me a credit limit of 2k which is JUST PERFECT.

I'll finance the computer until January, and then I'll pay the remaining balance and get rid of that debt.

GOD IS GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL TOO.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GOD IS GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL TOO.
<KOM>
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."
</KOM>

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that was funny, Tom. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have more of an affinity for PayPal than Walmart. Congratulations.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
As I am a firm believer in not financing things that depreciate as quickly as computers, I have to tell you I think this is a good thing. Pay cash for it, or you don't need it.

Seriously, I know that sounds harsh, but you can use computers at school or at public libraries for school work you absolutely must do, then wait and buy a new computer in January.

I don't see any problem with buying a computer on credit, provided you can pay it off quickly. I got half the cost of my laptop through a line of credit, planning to pay off the rest of the cost within 6 months. It's not the same as buying a computer on a 5-year loan.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would KOM quote Shakespeare in this instance?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, PayPal is giving me a slight problem already. I was given a temporary spending limit of $1,000 but for some reason I can't use my credit at all, it keeps telling me that I have "insufficient funds". I emailed customer service in the morning, but they haven't replied, why must it take so long?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, see if you can just put part of the computer on credit. I applied for a $1500 line of credit and was given $500, which was all I really needed.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare put it more eloquantly than the Romans ("Owe no man anything").

[Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.