FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't take it personally, ladies

Author Topic: Don't take it personally, ladies
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
We do it to everything. [Big Grin]

It's not just you

quote:

Although both men and women look at the image of George Brett when directed to find out information about his sport and position, men tend to focus on private anatomy as well as the face. For the women, the face is the only place they viewed.

Coyne adds that this difference doesn’t just occur with images of people. Men tend to fixate more on areas of private anatomy on animals as well, as evidenced when users were directed to browse the American Kennel Club site.

The whole study's kind of interesting, but, you know, naughty bits intrigue me.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
(francis ottoman)Gaaaaaaaaaaaaay(/francis ottoman)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting results; is the study's methodology intense and trust-worthy?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's from the internet. Of course it is.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm always wondering if my friends notice how much I look at their crotches. Then I wonder: why the heck am I looking at their crotches?

This explains it. It's science.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Just kidding!
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

"Dude, you know TL?"
"Yeah."
"I think he watches our crotches."
"What?"
"I think he watches our crotches. He gets this look in his eye."
"What kind of look?"
"What?"

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cover your crotch. Storm Saxon is watching."

-God

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

im in ur hows
watchin ur kroch

TL
Member # 8124

"What kind of look?"
"What?"
"What kind of lo -- hey. What were you just doing?"
"Nothing, sorry, got distracted."
"Distracted by my crotch?"
"What? No. Come on, man."
"You were just staring at my crotch."
"No I wasn't. Come on."
"Dude, I just saw you. Your eyes were bolted to my -- hey. Up here. I'm up here."
"I'm sorry."
"What's the deal?"
"It's infectious."

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
the outcome of a conversation about this thread with my girlfriend was her saying

"Pubic hair. THe original crotch fabric. Accept no substitutions!"

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
"What kind of look?"
"What?"
"What kind of lo -- hey. What were you just doing?"
"Nothing, sorry, got distracted."
"Distracted by my crotch?"
"What? No. Come on, man."
"You were just staring at my crotch."
"No I wasn't. Come on."
"Dude, I just saw you. Your eyes were bolted to my -- hey. Up here. I'm up here."
"I'm sorry."
"What's the deal?"
"It's infectious."

[Laugh]

I didn't have time at work to finish it right. You are a winner. [Smile]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I haven't read a word you've typed. I was too transfixed with the crotches present. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Jakob Nielsen, the guy who did the study, is a pretty solid researcher.

In this case, he used a device that tracked people's eye and pupil movements, then plotted what people were paying attention to. Don't ask me how it works, though. I've been too distracted by crotches to do well in my Usability Design classes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] TL and Storm Saxon, you guys should go on tour.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
. . .

I'm trying to find a non-sexual reason for men to focus on the crotch first, but I can't.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Maybe a self-defense thing? If you know where the person's crotch is, you know where to kick in self-defense? That's the best non-sexual thing that I could come up with.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
im in ur hows
watchin ur kroch

If this site had signitures that quote would mos def be mine. [ROFL]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

It's not sexual. It's science.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

So is that the new pick up line then? "Hey baby, it's not sexual. It's science." [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
im in ur hows
watchin ur kroch

*literally laughing aloud

You go well with a potent strawberry margarita.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

And here I thought that meme might have slipped under the Hatrack radar. [Razz]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not just you
Uhh, it's just not me. Checking out crotch bulge is really honestly not part of my visual summarization of people I'm looking at.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. Sorry, science dudes.

quote:
im in ur hows
watchin ur kroch

I lol'd. [Smile]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Why? Were you savaged by a pack of memes in you childhood?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh, the deleting game. I see how it is.
TL
Member # 8124

Dude. That was up for literally 6 seconds.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
How would you know how long it was up, TL--unless you were watching crotches??
Perv.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

This is all going to get out of control unless someone stops us or we stop oursleves.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
This is all going to get out of control unless someone stops us or we stop oursleves.

A very appropriate comment in a thread about crotches. How often is that said and a crotch isn't involved?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When there is chocolate involved.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to avoid this in the future. I'll focus on watching my own crotch instead. I know I don't mind.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that's a good diversion tactic MC. Can I use it too?

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
. . .

I'm trying to find a non-sexual reason for men to focus on the crotch first, but I can't.

Could it be something along the lines of instinctually trying to determine the gender of another species? The study said it happens with animals too, so maybe way back in the fire and wheel days you had to know whether an animal was male of female to know whether you should be afraid of it, so we are genetically predisposed to looking at crotches? I dunno, probably way way off, but my best guess anyways.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk: So you're sort of determining if you should fight it or... mmm... boink it?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I dunno, maybe determining if it's worth fighting? If it's a mother mammal and will fight to protect young or if it's a male and is hunting for food? Well, that example doesn't apply across the board, but could be a reason why a human male would need to know the gender of a potential aggressor.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a psychological explanation fits the bill better. Men are taught that the crotch/genitalia is important, the measure of a man, and it's a method of identifying "masculinity," perhaps.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] :your crotch:
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:

So . . . you're going to distract yourself by watching MightyCow's crotch?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm.......

I think I need thicker pants. maybe with lead thread.

You ask why? if a man does this, how about Superman?

x-ray vision...

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:

It's pretty nice. [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:

That's the plan!

Also, I've recently learned, thanks to several Hatrackers, that everyone everywhere is always looking at crotch. Namely David Bowie's.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.