FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Romney vs Sharpton

Author Topic: Romney vs Sharpton
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Al Sharpton, in a debate with atheist Christopher Hutchins, said, "As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyway, so don’t worry, that’s a temporary situation."

???

The Romney campaign quickly spoke against Sharpton's comments, calling them bigoted. Sharpton rebutted that his comments were intended to mean that church-goers would reject Romney, not that Romney didn't really believe in God.

Here's a link to a summation of the debate:

Link

Sharpton notes that the comment was taken out of context. I can't disagree with him there-- I've seen summaries of the debate, but not the transcript. Sharpton claims that the Romney campaign is using the comment to strengthen flagging interest in the candidate.

I dunno. It was a stupid thing to say. I hope that Romney doesn't get all persecutified over it though. Let it pass, even if Sharpton doesn't apologize.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpton makes lots of dumb statements. Sorta like romney that way...I wish they'd both drop off the face of the planet
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Sharpton said he meant (that he was excluding his opponent there instead of Romney from the "we who believe in God" group) is possible - he was talking to a notorious atheist (Christopher Hitchens).

However, from what I've read, they weren't talking about Romney at all and Sharpton brought him into the conversation to say the above quote, and it's an odd quote if it was meant to exclude Hitchens. So it could go either way.

I hope it doesn't become a bigger deal than it has been, but it certainly is instructive. I have a "bus friend" who stopped speaking to me once she found out I was Mormon. That doesn't happen often, but it's kind of a reminder when it does.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Paul: Oh. Okay.

Does anyone have a transcript to the debate between Hutchins and Sharpton?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That doesn't happen often, but it's kind of a reminder when it does.
Try being an atheist some time. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Kat--

What do you take it as a reminder of?

I'm reminded that I've been a terrible member missionary in Real Life, and I should probably try to be a better man while I'm at it.

The comment I'm looking to hear is, "You...you don't seem like the kind of Mormon I've read about in church pamphlets."

katharina
Member # 827

I take as a reminder that some people's reaction to meeting a Mormon is to recoil and avoid them.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've always thought Mormonism to be an interesting (in a good way) religion, probably because I first became aware of it through OSC.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I take as a reminder that some people's reaction to meeting a Mormon is to recoil and avoid them.
:gently:

We are going to eat their babies.

[Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

I am not freaking out, Scott, nor calling down vengeance. I'm aware of what was happening and if the price of being Mormon is that my bus friend no longer speaks to me, oh well. Her loss.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, religious weirdnesses. Where would we be without you? We'd have a sight bit tamer campaigns, s'fo right.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Er...I'm not criticizing you, kat.

I think your conclusion is natural and logical.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay. [Smile]

I suspect she asked someone else and was told something negative, because she was fine during the conversation and asked questions, but then the next Monday wouldn't sit next to me and now doesn't acknowledge me at all.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpton is quick to jump on anyone else if they say something he finds offensive. I think it's real cute that he doesn't think anything should be made out of what he said. The old double standard. Do as I say not as I do.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that Early Christians were accused of atheism by the Romans? I am not completely sure why, but I think it had something to do with their not acknowledging the Roman gods, the clannishness, and simply ignorance about the religion.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, are you really finding a lot of religious (or unreligious) shunning in Madison?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
boots,
Much of the Romney stuff centers around him running for President and whether it is okay for an LDS to be President. With the country the way it is now, there's not a chance in heck for an uncloseted atheist.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

There are still hotbeds of liberalism. I live in one of them. I am probably know as many atheists or agnostics anyway as I do Catholics. I was born in Madision. It is another college town, chock full of intellectuals. I have a hard time imagining people scooching away from Tom on a bus or backing away in horror because he's an atheist.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And I imagine that kat or Mitt Romney or whoever would have a mostly comfortable or even favored existence in many parts of Utah. Does that mean that overall bigotry isn't an issue?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are atheists generally mentioned in the same statement as liberals and intellectuals, as if they go mutually hand in hand?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I happen to like Madison, even being the patriarchal, repressive, religious monster that I am. When I was there, at least, it was clean, the people were nice, and there was this great hobby store near the capitol building.

What more does a guy need?

This is an interesting conversation. Let's go capture a devoutly religious person who knows neither athiests nor Mormons. We'll introduce him to me and Tom, and then see which one engenders more disgust.

We'll duplicate the experiment in several different areas of the country, and then take our show internationally.

If I wear the Peter Pan collar Tom suggested I once wore, and if he wears the Jolly Sailor uniform I suggested he once wore, then we can also bring in the shadow of homosexuality...ooh, the possibilities.

But my money is on me. Because Tom would be DASHING in a sailor's outfit, I tell you.

DASHING.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
boots,
Much of the Romney stuff centers around him running for President and whether it is okay for an LDS to be President. With the country the way it is now, there's not a chance in heck for an uncloseted atheist.

boots was responding to a post by Tom that seems to indicate that he experienced shunning by an acquaintance who found out he was an atheist.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

MrSquicky,

Honey, in the years that I have been posting here have I really failed to make clear that I think religious intolerance is a problem? Really?

I can't, for a second, revel in the fact that my beloved hometown is reasonably (or at least comparatively) enlightened without you suspecting that I have forgotten that much of the country is f...screwed up over religion?

THT, I think that being an intellectual and being liberal prohibits (or at least discourages) some kinds of religious belief.

Scott R
Member # 567

Aw...I was hoping more people would come back and say, "No, NO, Scott! You'd be MUCH more dashing in your Peter Pan collar than Tom in his dreamy, steamy, Jolly Sailor costume..."

Man...I'm going to go write goth poetry now.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Scott, I was too distracted by the pictures in my head to type.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

For what it's worth, I wouldn't vote for Mitt Romney. I would vote for Harry Reid. Go figure.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I can't, for a second, revel in the fact that my beloved hometown is reasonably (or at least comparatively) enlightened without you suspecting that I have forgotten that much of the country is f...screwed up over religion?
I felt your statement could be taken as a criticism towards Tom's statement of the sort that he doesn't really have room to talk because most people in Madison aren't going to care that he is an atheist or that his overarching pointm that being an atheist in this country is going to net you, in general, more of te sort of behavior that kat was talking about than being most other things.

I'm all for yay! for non-bigotry, but, in my opinion, that's not necessarily how your statement reads.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Is that because we've never interacted before? Or are you one of those New Critics?

Interesting...according to Wikipedia, 16 out of 25 Catholic Senators are Democrats. I adore my Catholic senator (Durbin), but really don't like Sam Brownback.

Scott R
Member # 567

I didn't see any criticism kmboots' post.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat said:

quote:
I think what Sharpton said he meant (that he was excluding his opponent there instead of Romney from the "we who believe in God" group) is possible - he was talking to a notorious atheist (Christopher Hitchens).

However, from what I've read, they weren't talking about Romney at all and Sharpton brought him into the conversation to say the above quote, and it's an odd quote if it was meant to exclude Hitchens. So it could go either way.

That's kind of where I've come to as well. And given the ambiguity, it would seem to call for a better response from Al Sharpton.

But given his record in similar situations, but Sharpton (based on his behavior) seems to have promised god never to apologize for anything.

Not that he's alone in that camp. Jerry Lewis and GWB also come to mind pretty quickly. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sharpton makes lots of dumb statements.
Indeed. *nods*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Is that because we've never interacted before?
I think your statements could be read that way and I felt that, especially in light of them, that what I said added to the wider context of Tom and kat's interchange. I didn't think that it was immediately obvious that you ceased talking about the wider context and instead were entirely focused on the city of Madison and I thought that the wider context should be addressed. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

For what it's worth, I don't think that you personally are insensitive to the wider bigotry against atheists.

Scott R
Member # 567

I mean, I look downright SWANKY in this collar.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Sharpton says his response was toward the atheist he was debating, but I don't buy it. There are several reasons, but the strongest (for me) is that he didn't say, "those of us who believe in God..." He said, "those of us who really believe in God.

He wasn't contrasting himself against someone who professed atheism, but against someone who was, in his view, faking theism. Seems like that could only have been Romney.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I agree, especially in light of him pulling Romney in as a total non-sequitor. I think he's trying to cover now.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
And guess how he is covering? The racism issue, surprise, surprise. He is basically calling out Romney to explain the racial history of the LDS Church; claiming the Church was founded out of racism. He is saying anyone (or a whole Church in this instance) who has racist policies can't actually believe in God.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

He's not covering that way, Occ, although his original statement can be interpreted in that fashion.

He's covering by saying that he didn't mean it the way the Romney campaign is interpreting it, and that the Romney campaign is interpreting it in that way so as to drum up publicity for themselves.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. Romney couldn't've picked a better person than Al Sharpton to force this issue. If I thought Karl Rove were working for him, I'd speculate that Sharpton got paid to drop his name.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:whistles, 'The Good Ship Lollipop' for no apparent reason:
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom said:
quote:
Man. Romney couldn't've picked a better person than Al Sharpton to force this issue. If I thought Karl Rove were working for him, I'd speculate that Sharpton got paid to drop his name.
It wouldn't be the first time Sharpton lived off Republican money. [Smile]

Sleeping with the GOP - a Bush covert operative takes over Al Sharpton's campaign (2004)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone have a transcript to the debate between Hutchins and Sharpton?
Hitchens brings up the Mormons and Romney, though not by name.

Audio file:
http://helix.nypl.org/ramgen/live/070507/070507.ra?usehostname

(starts with 55 seconds of silence for some reason)
Hitchens at 25 min.
Sharpton at 31 min.

[ May 10, 2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: orlox ]

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Well I must say this development is encouraging. I do think that the statement about the LDS Church that,"He apologized, and the Church considers the matter closed," kind of redundant. They considered the whole thing a political squabble to start with.

[ May 10, 2007, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Occasional
Member # 5860

I found this article onimmigration and the LDS Church rather interesting. I am squarely in the camp that says:

quote:
Ron Sirrine, the greatgrandson of one of Mesa’s founders, says that as a Mormon he is against illegal immigration.

“Mormon people are so grounded in patriotism and law-abiding that when we see illegal workers not conforming to what we feel are the ground rules, that is where the animosity comes from,” he said. “That’s your basic cancer.”

Like Sirrine, Sen. Karen Johnson, R-Mesa, also a Mormon, often references church doctrine when discussing her views on illegal immigration.

In addition to the Articles of Faith, which dictate that members must obey the laws of the land, she points to sermons made by a church apostle which say that people can be brought to God “without leaving their homelands.”

“I think that as an LDS person, we are absolutely taught to be honest in all of our dealings with ... the government,” she said.

However, do agree that the Church should continue its political nuetrality on the subject. At the same time, I think they should encourage illegal immigrants to go back home and work on coming to the United States legally.

The point of my talking about this is that the LDS Church is not the "white bread" membership it used to be. That is true in the Western United States, but not as a world organization. Membership in Africa has also increased in large numbers. I think the problem is that race is so politicized in the United States that no one is paying attention (Mormons or not) to what is going on outside of its borders. That includes making claims that (while still holding true in some areas, including the highest leadership) the LDS Church is mostly white-anglo, when that is no longer true.

katharina
Member # 827

Side note about my bus friend: I think the problem is her.

She has started speaking to me again. We talked about recent events and I said my aunts came from Texas for my brother's wedding - I'm from Texas originally. She kind of pinched her nose and asked if I liked Texas. "Yes, very much."
"Really? It seems-" <shudder>

Well, now she's managed to wrinkle her nose at my religion and at Texas. What's next? Will she insult my mother? Maybe she wants to say something disparaging about how I look? Maybe next time she'll sniff at the book I'm reading. Good grief.

I'm very annoyed at prejudiced, narrow-minded people today.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I found this article onimmigration and the LDS Church rather interesting. I am squarely in the camp that says:

quote:
Ron Sirrine, the greatgrandson of one of Mesa’s founders, says that as a Mormon he is against illegal immigration.

“Mormon people are so grounded in patriotism and law-abiding that when we see illegal workers not conforming to what we feel are the ground rules, that is where the animosity comes from,” he said. “That’s your basic cancer.”

Like Sirrine, Sen. Karen Johnson, R-Mesa, also a Mormon, often references church doctrine when discussing her views on illegal immigration.

In addition to the Articles of Faith, which dictate that members must obey the laws of the land, she points to sermons made by a church apostle which say that people can be brought to God “without leaving their homelands.”

“I think that as an LDS person, we are absolutely taught to be honest in all of our dealings with ... the government,” she said.

However, do agree that the Church should continue its political nuetrality on the subject. At the same time, I think they should encourage illegal immigrants to go back home and work on coming to the United States legally.

The point of my talking about this is that the LDS Church is not the "white bread" membership it used to be. That is true in the Western United States, but not as a world organization. Membership in Africa has also increased in large numbers. I think the problem is that race is so politicized in the United States that no one is paying attention (Mormons or not) to what is going on outside of its borders. That includes making claims that (while still holding true in some areas, including the highest leadership) the LDS Church is mostly white-anglo, when that is no longer true.

You need to take into account however that illegal immigrants are proselyted by our missionaries along with the legal immigrants. If they join the church they are doted over by the church community and supported in their decision to live there. Its not as if the church screens a baptismal candidate's immigratory status, nor do they do any checks years after the fact.

Many hispanic people cite this as to why they find Utah to be a good place to move to as opposed to other states. They are not looked down upon as much. Obviously good treatment is not universal to the state, I work right next to a Puerto Rican who is a citizen and claims that White people in Utah treat him badly.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think the illegal immigration issue is fascinating. Matt's uncle is the bishop of a Spanish ward here in Northern Virginia and a huge percentage of the ward are here illegally. He's not turning anybody over to Immigration.

It is, at the least, complicated.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That woman sounds pretty obnoxious, kat. I wish I could think of a clever way to counter it without making you seem obnoxious in turn.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I think you're right...sounds like she just has a major problem with everything.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
If we go clear back to the subject line, someone might be intrested in this. link
It looks like Sharpton is doing someting extra to fix the mistake.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I personally think that Sharpton is doing it for publicity, because he hasn't proven otherwise. I mean, come on, he called the LDS Church godless because of its stances on Blacks before 1978; and that is not from an obscure quote.

On the other hand, the LDS Church leadership has pretty much from the start said the matter is closed. They have endured far worse from both sides of the political and religious fence.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.