FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Flea Market for Unused Screen Names (Renamed) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Official Flea Market for Unused Screen Names (Renamed)
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Since no new logins are being accepted, please use this thread as a forum to request unused screen names from current members.

My wife wants to join in the discussion, but I can't for the life of me find where to create a new account for her. Anyone able to help?

[ May 17, 2007, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: BandoCommando ]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, you can't.

Pop? What's going on?

And is it ok to give away old alts?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Weirdness.

Thanks for the implied offer Rivka, but she wants to start her own. [Smile]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I just assumed this was an antispam measure, while we wait to migrate to the new software.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Thanks for the implied offer Rivka, but she wants to start her own. [Smile]

Even if that means she has to wait a while?

Giving out old alts is a venerable Hatrack tradition. Shortly before I joined, there was a registration freeze. That's how Dead_Horse got her SN -- it was an old alt of Belle's.

I probably have a couple with only one or two posts on 'em. Still have that new SN smell! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I find it hard to believe that Belle is a little old lady, but I'll take your word for it that the alt was only driven to church on Sundays. [Wink]
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been told, but my opinion was sorta similar to JTK's -- it could perhaps have something to do with the spam (don't know for sure), but also since they probably won't be transferring registrations over they might not want people to have to register again in a short time, but rather have them wait for the new software. But it's just a guess.

Considering the ridiculous number of spammish registrations that we'd been receiving, I wouldn't be all that surprised if either or both were true. There was maybe one real registration for every 25 spams. It also shows registrations for all users now, I noticed, even though many have no names and use a registration date of "a long time ago." No more "user does not exist" message. I don't know what (if anything) that might have to do with it as well.

If I get any new info, I'll let you know.

I have no problem at all with giving away old alts. I probably have a few I could share as well.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Can I offer anyone a very slightly used H. G. Wells?

Or there's this one.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have henchbabe up for grabs.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Can I offer anyone a very slightly used H. G. Wells?

If I were you/her BC, I would be honored to have this one.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Also barely used.
rivka
Member # 4859

One more.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I would love to take you up on HG Wells rivka
rivka
Member # 4859

No problem. Let me change the password (assuming I actually know what it is -- if not I'll have the board reset it) and I'll email you the info.

Edit: Looks like I never changed the password from the board-assigned random gobbledygook. I'll just forward the email to you.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Without fresh blood -- we'll die!

...in a year or so [Wink] .

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Since we can't get new accounts, I'll rename this topic as the official Flea Market for Screen Names.

Papa, would it be a good idea to sticky it? Just a thought.

rivka
Member # 4859

To newbies looking for names: My email address is in my profile. Using "Hatrack" in the email subject is recommended if you don't want me to think you're spam. [Wink]

Tell me how you found Hatrack, which name you want, and why I should give it to you. [Big Grin]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Same applies to me.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Giving out old alts is a venerable Hatrack tradition. Shortly before I joined, there was a registration freeze. That's how Dead_Horse got her SN -- it was an old alt of Belle's.
Same here.

--j_k, who is not a trekkie

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn I had Cupcake Party registered once upon a time, and one or two others. I'll have to dig around.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only one I got and I'm keepin' it. Thanks, Belle!
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I can offer up Glaphyra the Righteous.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
How do we find out if a member name is already taken? I'm thinking about "al". I'll take suggestions, though. [Smile]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may have to wait until registration and try to snag it -- see if it goes through. Although you can search based on member name (using "search" button at top right of page), "al" returns too many names to be listed by the program. I think it may have picked up every name that has "al" in it.

I don't remember seeing an "al" before, though. Just remember to register both "al" (with lower case L) and "aI" (with upper case i), because they look the same. Wards off pretenders to your throne. [Smile]

---

Edited to add: They look different when you type them in the text box, but they publish as looking the same on the page everyone else sees after you post.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
I can offer Chuck Norris, Hatrack Alias, and an Art Vandelay with very low mileage.

The rest I'm keeping.
>_>
<_<

Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
quote:
Same here.

How is the old bird holding up? <spit shines the hood ornament>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Perelandra and Grammar Hippy are mine, if anyone wants them. Perelandra is my really, really old moniker from when I was brand-spanking new in Sep 2001. It's up for grabs, but Papa will have to reset the passwords on both accounts because I can't login to either.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple (Sydney Carton and Merkwürdigeliebe if I remember correctly) but I don't have the time right now to look up the passwords or even see if they still exist. If anyone is interested, email the address in my profile.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'd take Perelandra, but everyone would think I was a boy. [Wink]
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to give up Wetchik.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my snide antagonist alt that only made four posts. I don't recall the password, so I'd have to look it up or see if Papa Janitor can change it for the sake of a newbie!

Chicken Little

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If you have access to the relevant email address, you can reset your own password.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
quote:
Same here.

Runs like a dream, but I'm thinking of trading it in for another model when the software changes.

[Wink]

--j_k

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I have access to the e-mail it was registered under... it's just that the e-mail is one of about eight possible e-mail accounts.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So? Trial and error is a perfectly valid scientific technique.

Bando, did you get my email?

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Lookie what I found!

if anyone is interested send an email to sarcastic DOT muppet AT gmail DOT com, and let me know you're from hatrack blah blah blah et cetera. I'd be happy to see this alt go to a loving home. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicks I have that are up for grabs include:

Koryu (Avoiding a landmark you say? Who does such a thing?)
Graff^ (can't believe I was the first to register that one.)
Schwa
Homsar
saxonthebeach

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, I have a couple as well...

A few of these have 0 posts.

-GOD-
The Sherriff A niftty member number
Dr. Seuss I think I want to keep this one...
The Sheriff
Boy Pat
Google
Z

Just email me if you are interested. Josh at zevlag dot com.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I would pick Procrastination or Fluff, but those were both used in the last year. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... Perelandra is my really, really old moniker from when I was brand-spanking new in Sep 2001. ...

Um, I still call you this in my head. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Elbereth Gilthoniel I'd be happy to give up to a worthy future hatracker. Email me introducing yourself and I'll change the password for you.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H.G. Wells
Member # 5713

- posted      Profile for H.G. Wells           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
So? Trial and error is a perfectly valid scientific technique.

Bando, did you get my email?

Yup! I set up H.G. Wells for my wife, but she's away on a trip and hasn't posted anything yet.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So at least this thread has had one intended result. [Smile]

Dunno about anyone else, but no potential newbies have been emailing me. We are unwanted! [Wink]

BeIgarath
Member # 9609

- posted      Profile for BeIgarath           Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered that I have this nifty screen name. Barely used, and with a surprisingly recent registration date.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Same here.

Runs like a dream, but I'm thinking of trading it in for another model when the software changes.

[Wink]

--j_k

Hmm, I almost wouldn't mind, but my use of the name 'Iain' online goes back fifteen years.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Same here.

[Wink]

--j_k

Hmm, I almost wouldn't mind, but my use of the name 'Iain' online goes back fifteen years.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have WillyWonka that I can have?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's probably lost in the great abyss with John Lennon.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have John Lennon.

Well, let me rephrase that- I had John Lennon, but I forgot the password, and I had actually registered it with an email address (nanovak06 at evil corporation dot com) I had for work (through which I'm no longer employed). So if I asked Pop nice enough with my good friend George Washington and his extended family, I might just be able to get the password, and offer that one up.

Coincidentally, I also have Anti-Chris (this is a one time offer, btw) and Billy Joel to offer up.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be hard for me to get used to someone else using Anti-Chris.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.