FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Seriously Going to Figure out How to Turn to Crime (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm Seriously Going to Figure out How to Turn to Crime
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm turning into a misanthrope, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I will put a knife in my throat before I kiss any white ass to get or keep a job.

Move to rural China, problem solved!

Heck simply find a boss who is not a caucasian and you should be good to go.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There are jobs available for Java programmers without CS degrees.

I don't have a CS degree

I do have the title "Senior Java Developer" on my door.

Of course, part of that's because the professor in charge of our lab is fond of big titles, and they needed something to distinguish that I write a ton of code, help supervise other programmers, help design our architecture, and do a good bit of interviewing and the like. My salary's not great (its a university), but I can pretty much work whenever and whereever I want.

If you want a programming job and you don't have a CS degree, brush up on your java, contribute to an open source project or two, learn good programming practices, read a few good programming blogs (many of the posts at http://oreillynet.com would be good), and work towards getting certified.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I really want to do is write, but it's depressing to talk about that, like discussing a secret embarassing crush on someone you probably can't have.
Is there anything else you enjoy doing? Is there anything else you'd like to accomplish? If so, what?

If not, if the only thing you care about is writing, then what sort of writing to you want to do? Just fiction? Or do you enjoy writing other things? What about writing do you enjoy?

The first step to getting a permanent job is articulating what you want. That's not just what you want in terms of a salary, but rather what you want to actually do. When you can articulate that, then you can tell it to people, who can then point you in the direction you need to go.

quote:
But mostly I want my old job back. I loved that job.
What did you love about that job?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that they let me listen to music, I didn't have to deal with customers or answer phones, I just did letters and they always had a lot of work. There was never hours of not having any work to do unless something went wrong.
Plus people seemed to appreciate my work. I was often thanked for it and praised and if I was doing something wrong, folks would tell me in a polite manner.
Mostly what I want is a steady job that pays more more than 13 bucks an hour where I don't have to deal directly with customers and work behind the scenes. I can't think of anything besides correspondence where I can do that. It must also not be tedious or boring. It would seem like doing over one hundred letters a day is tedious, but for some reason it isn't. I think music helps.
I also like writing random non fiction essays besides writing fiction. Writing is good because you can take every emotion you have ever had, every experience and turn it into a story for someone to read and relate to.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia: Have you considered electronic editing? Its only $10-11 an hour but thats in Utah where wages are markedly lower.

You read/skim through periodicals all day and you do not deal with customers. You can listen to music, and its a pretty peaceful envrionment surrounded by people clicking mouses and reading their monitors. And after doing it awhile you get really proficient at it.

[ July 12, 2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That does not sound bad. I think a friend of mine does something simular.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
That does not sound bad. I think a friend of mine does something simular.

If you are interested check your yellow pages or online for "press clipping" services in your area.

Where I work you are even offered financial rewards for working at an above average rate. Often there are several other jobs related to electronic editing that you might consider. Profiling, clipping, scanning, are a few.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, those were some very useful posts, Xavier. I can swing $200 for a certification test; I just can't afford to take enough classes to finish my degree (it would take several years, anyway). I do have some database (MySQL) and XML experience. My last job was working with the Arizona Native American Online Dictionary Project to develop an online Tohono O'odham dictionary. I worked on the Java interface, although it seems to have broken since I left, because I know it used to be more functional. I also did a lot of work on the XML scheme listed on that page. It's kind of sad; it looks like they haven't made any progress since I left.

And, holy cow! I just found a bunch of my applets from when I worked for the chemistry department. Why I stored them on the linguistics server is beyond me, though.

Ideal Gases Simulator
Ideal Gases: Partial Pressures
Chemical Kinetics: Isomerization

Fugu, I'll take you up on the test class offer once I've studied a bit. I'm up to the second chapter in the Thinking in Java book. So far, the concepts all still make sense and the code snippets are understandable. At this point I couldn't actually produce working code, but I can still read it.

Dang, I'm actually getting excited about programming again. I used to be so sick of it. I think that once I'm back up to speed, I'll email the dictionary project and see if they'd like some volunteer work. That should get me some good practice, if they're still working on it.

It still remains to be seen if there are actually any programming jobs in my area, though. The closest town of larger size is Wheeling, WV. The closest cities would be Pittsburgh, PA and Canton, OH, which are both about 1-1/2 hours away. At the very least, there are quite a few small colleges in the area that might need someone.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Once you are done with your basics, I can mail you my copy of the best book to use for the SCJP test.

It has my highlighting in it all over the place, but it could save you a few bucks.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, those were some very useful posts, Xavier. I can swing $200 for a certification test; I just can't afford to take enough classes to finish my degree (it would take several years, anyway).
The great thing is, almost every software job will reimburse you for your tuition (at least that I've applied to). I am starting towards my Master's degree in Computer Science on the company dime right now. I just started my first class a few weeks ago.

quote:
I do have some database (MySQL) and XML experience.
Wonderful! This will certainly help.

quote:

And, holy cow! I just found a bunch of my applets from when I worked for the chemistry department.

Those are actually very neat [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
I just found a bunch of my applets from when I worked for the chemistry department. Why I stored them on the linguistics server is beyond me, though.

Ideal Gases Simulator

Hey! I'm pretty sure I used that with chemistry classes a couple times. How many years has that been up?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Those applets won't be bad resume items by themselves. In particular, they have pretty clear user interfaces, and bad user interfaces is a common sin of java developers [Wink] .

Programming definitely can be exciting [Smile] . And I think the small local colleges might well be a good way to find something. They're more likely to be flexible on having a degree, and they'll probably have lots of flexible, part time work if what you're looking for is something to supplement the family income.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Don't ask me what the weird boxes are. It has something to do with my new keyboard.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are jobs available for Java programmers without CS degrees.
Indeed. I was such a slacker in my youth that I didn't even graduate from high school. I also have a "senior developer" title.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
If you are interested check your yellow pages or online for "press clipping" services in your area.

Where I work you are even offered financial rewards for working at an above average rate.

You don't work for Burrelle's in Provo, do you?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Where online would you be able to find things like that? My wife could do that from home, speaks 4 other languages, and can type about 60-65 wpm, so it would be ideal. She also reads pretty fast. [Smile]

I did a quick google search for my area, but didn't find any job oppertunities.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Once you are done with your basics, I can mail you my copy of the best book to use for the SCJP test.

It has my highlighting in it all over the place, but it could save you a few bucks.

Thank you, that would be wonderful! I can pay for the shipping cost.

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Hey! I'm pretty sure I used that with chemistry classes a couple times. How many years has that been up?

Seriously? Um, it's been there since 2001 or 2002, I think. You probably used the version on the chemistry server, if this indeed was the one you used. Hey, it looks like all of my applets are still available on the chemistry site. All of the ones I posted above are still available in that menu.

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Those applets won't be bad resume items by themselves. In particular, they have pretty clear user interfaces, and bad user interfaces is a common sin of java developers :Wink:

I know! That's why I was so excited to find them (and to discover that the chemistry dept is still using them, some six years later).

I would expect the bad UIs are at least partly a result of the programmers being entirely too obsessed with all the neat features they can add. I've always preferred programming the logic of a program, not the GUI, so if I'm forced to do a GUI I tend to make it simple. For my own sanity.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:

Where I work you are even offered financial rewards for working at an above average rate.

You don't work for Burrelle's in Provo, do you?
I do indeed! How did you know?!
MattP
Member # 10495

I live about (checking Google maps) 1.4 miles from there, on the far West end of the city. My back yard borders the wetlands about a mile from Utah Lake. 820 North was part of my commute for years and is still the route I usually take to head into town.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Seriously? Um, it's been there since 2001 or 2002, I think. You probably used the version on the chemistry server, if this indeed was the one you used. Hey, it looks like all of my applets are still available on the chemistry site. All of the ones I posted above are still available in that menu.
O_O oooooooooohhhhhhhh! I never saw that menu before, but boy would that have been useful. The VSEPR module alone would have been awesome. *plays happily*

But yeah, since that was indeed up in 2003 and 2005, I believe I used the Ideal Gas Simulator with my chem classes. [Smile] Fairly certain. Cool!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Wow, that's so cool. I feel all happy and glowy now.

--Mel

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus people seemed to appreciate my work. I was often thanked for it and praised and if I was doing something wrong, folks would tell me in a polite manner.
Mostly what I want is a steady job that pays more more than 13 bucks an hour where I don't have to deal directly with customers and work behind the scenes. I can't think of anything besides correspondence where I can do that. It must also not be tedious or boring. It would seem like doing over one hundred letters a day is tedious, but for some reason it isn't. I think music helps.

A lot of this sounds like what you DON'T want to do. What DO you want to do?

Here's what you've said you do want: You need more than $13 an hour. You do like writing, including both fiction and nonfiction, because it allows you to express emotions and ideas. You also like music. And you want to work somewhere that your work will be appreciated. What else? Is there anything you particularly like doing in your spare time? Do you know anyone with a job that you think you'd like to have?

Also, when you say you don't want to "deal with customers" what exactly do you mean by "customers"? Many jobs require dealing with somebody, whether it is a random person who walks into a store or a business partner or even your boss. Are you okay dealing with somebody you already know well, such as a boss, a coworker, or a customer who you have known for a long time? Are you better dealing with people face-to-face, or over the phone, or through email? Is it just groups that you dislike; do you dislike one-on-one meetings?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Dealing with people through email or nice co-workers is not so bad. Phones make me feel uneasy. One on one meetings are not too bad, but meetings with a lot of people that take too long suck.
I do know a girl with a stay at home correspondence job. I'd ove to do that, and go to the office a few times a week.
Mostly I like reading a lot, and listening to music and doing research on things.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
I live about (checking Google maps) 1.4 miles from there, on the far West end of the city. My back yard borders the wetlands about a mile from Utah Lake. 820 North was part of my commute for years and is still the route I usually take to head into town.

Wow that's really close. My home is less then a 3 minute drive from Burrells. I like being closer to the west side of town, its closer to the freeway.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Wow, that's so cool. I feel all happy and glowy now.

--Mel

[Big Grin]
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
read a few good programming blogs (many of the posts at http://oreillynet.com would be good)

Can you recommend any other ones?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.