FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku's new TV series announced! (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku's new TV series announced!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I find both Zoe and Kaylee more attractive than either River or Inara.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that. I'm probably as far from a gender role traditionalist as you'll find, and I'm squarely on the Kaylee and River side of the fence. "Submissive" isn't exactly the word I'd use, either. I wouldn't consider Kaylee "submissive," certainly. And River is more "damaged" than "submissive." And when she gets past the damage, she becomes what folks call "bad ass."

Anyway. "Dollhouse." Yay!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Kaylee and River act in more stereotypical feminine ways.

Kaylee is afraid of guns and Captain Mal wouldn't have it any other way. River is constantly being protected by her brother.

Zoe and Inara do the saving, not the being-saved.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I was unfairly rating them as actresses, although I think if you asked Jewel and Summer they would agree that my ratings were fair and unbiased. Assuming they didn't object to the entire process and beat me up.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
River is more "damaged" than "submissive." And when she gets past the damage, she becomes what folks call "bad ass."
No way - she's got a great...

er, was that out loud?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

Q. F. T.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to throw a spanner into the works, I have yet a different take.
Inara and River are both gracile. However, Inara is mature and gracile while River is immature and gracile. Kaylee is the metaphorical girl next door, not particularly gracile and immature as well.

Arguably, Zoe is far and away the most mature. She's also well, a big woman. (compared to the rest at least). She's kind of a class unto herself.

Since I'm Asian and young (or immature, depending on your perspective), I'd naturally be pre-disposed toward the more gracile and more immature women in the group. Zoe would take a huge penalty under this kind of scheme ... so I was a bit surprised (although I should not have been) by the slant towards Zoe on this board.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

quote:
River is constantly being protected by her brother.
Except for that time when she killed three guys in three seconds. And then there was the time when she, you know, killed an entire army of Reavers with her bare hands and feet. Could Simon do either of those things? "Pffshaw*, didn't think so.

Also, she can (maybe) kill you with her brain.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - except for that time. Two unexpected 90-second sequences do not counterbalance 18 episodes and most of a movie of being protected by Simon.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
River is more "damaged" than "submissive." And when she gets past the damage, she becomes what folks call "bad ass."

er, was that out loud?

Hah, touche. I admit that River/ Summer didn't do much for me until "Serenity." Between her bad (er, good) assitude and newfound appreciation for, ah, less dowdy outfits, there was some serious re-evaluation happening in my head.

Re: Javert Hugo- Kaylee and River do a fair amount of saving themselves. It's Kaylee's prowess in the engine room that keeps the Serenity crew's collective keisters in the air more than once, and River not only does some buttkickin' in the movie, but also defeats the series' best antagonist in a battle of wits. They're strong women just like all of Joss's other female characters; they just show it differently.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

First, the Reaver scene was hardly unexpected. Second, Simon tried to protect her from a lot of things, most of the time she did her own thing anyway. She's strange and reclusive, not submissive.

Edit:
She's also smarter than anyone on the ship, and super sarcastic as well. Both of which I likes.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I'm not saying they are weak - they are Joss characters, of course they are not.

They are, however, much more likely to relate to the men on the ship in a stereotypical "feminine" manner than either Zoe or Inara (when she's off the job).

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Faith (Dushku) never impressed me-- she was too typical bad girl. I'm just not interested in Arrogant/Broken women, I guess.

Buffy was much more attractive. Buffy had soul; Faith was just spicy frosting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rating the characters. I don't know the actresses (having never seen even one of them in any single other venture).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar300:
She's strange and reclusive, not submissive.

Agreed.

But I was speaking of Summer, not River, mostly. I am very impressed with her physically. The fight work in Serenity was very well done and took a ton of physical talent. Her ballet background also showed beautifully there. I am also quite impressed with the way she handled the multiple facets of River's character-- she shows a depth, understanding, and sensitivity that most "action heroes" lack and it was an excellent performance (which leaves me wondering why she hasn't gotten signed on to do more other things).

At any rate, yeah, I think she's hot. If you guys don't that's ok... more for me [Razz]

edit to add: For not dissimilar reasons, Zoe is the most attractive *character* to me-- competence is hot and Zoe *is* competence personified.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

Jim-Me, I agree with everything you said about Summer Glau. She is the reason I'll be watching "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" come January.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Faith (Dushku) never impressed me-- she was too typical bad girl. I'm just not interested in Arrogant/Broken women, I guess.

Blasphemy.

It was all about Willow.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
There are exceptions, of course--Angel on Whedon's part

Oh, please. Angel was all about Cordelia and Fred.
Really? I never really got into the show, and just saw the first couple of discs of the first season (and scattered episodes here and there that just happened to be on), so I'll freely admit that that was largely an assumption on my part.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Really? I never really got into the show, and just saw the first couple of discs of the first season (and scattered episodes here and there that just happened to be on), so I'll freely admit that that was largely an assumption on my part.
Not really. Angel was an ensemble show with Angel the center-piece much in the same way Buffy was the center of her little Scoobie gang. Although perhaps Buffy was a little more dominant amongst her crew than Angel amongst his.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I didn't know you had a thing for midgets, Pixiest!

But I'm not sure what Willow had to do with the Buffyverse...I'm not seeing the connection.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
*pats scott on the head, gives him a cookie and tells him to run along and play*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
quote:

Blasphemy.

It was all about Willow.

Faith. Definitely Faith. I 'bout died when she did the shower scene in Angel.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:forgoes cookie, eats Pixiest's hand:
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was kind of kidding. Angel was only about Cordelia and Fred (and Faith and Justine and even Illyria) as far as I was concerned. And Gwen (Electro Girl). And Eve. And Lilah. They had some great women on that show.

Although just to break the stereotype a bit, my very favoritest character on Angel was Lindsay. I almost went to a con just to hear him sing.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Do you mean Lorne?
Tarrsk
Member # 332

No, Lorne wasn't the only singer on "Angel." Christian Kane sang on his last episode in Season 2 (the one in which Lindsay gets the evil hand)- at Lorne's bar, actually, strumming an acoustic guitar and singing a folksy ballad. I'm pretty sure it's the only time we see someone sing at the bar who isn't singing karoake. IRL, Kane is the lead singer of an alt country band. He's quite good.

If you include Spike, then there were three fantastic male singers on "Angel" during its fifth season. They should've pulled a "Once More With Feeling" there, too.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Nope. Christian Kane played Lindsey McDonald, an attorney at Crane, Poole and Schmidt. Er, I mean Wolfram and Hart.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Uh... what Tarrsk said.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:

[Cry]
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
quote:

[Cry]
Don't be a babie, Pixiest! You know that'll only stimulate his appetite!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*steals Noemon's hand at attches it to her stump of a left arm*
Noemon
Member # 1115

::tries desperately not to cry while eyeing Scott nervously::

::fails::

[Cry]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*pats noemon on the head with his own hand*

pobrecito...

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody mentioned over at the imdb boards that Whedon has a tendency to think that his shows are beyond marketing, and therefore proceeds to give them cutesy titles that aren't necessarily appealing to the crucial 18-36 male audience. For instance, "Firefly." Now compare that title to "Battlestar Galactica." The latter title indicates space action in a way that "Firefly" never could.

"Dollhouse" is yet another cutesy title from Whedon that might might not make the show immediately appealing to certain demographics.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, the_Somalian. "Dollhouse" still makes me not want to watch it instinctively, and I know what it's about and DO want to watch it. Maybe it's creative, in an in-joke sort of way, but if I saw it on my cable box and didn't know what it was, there's now way I'd give it a look.

Heck, when it comes out I may have forgotten what it is and will probably miss the first season wondering when the new Whedon show is coming out [Dont Know]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

I'm hoping Joss follows his pre-Firefly convention and renames the show "Echo," myself. It's short, evocative, and doesn't have the same "Mattel presents: Barbie, the sitcom" feel to it. Not that I expect him to, but from a marketing standpoint, at least, it'd be the smart thing to do. Which is not the same thing as what would be the right thing to do thematically, which is what Joss does best- and what he tends to do even if his marketing folks are screaming bloody murder. See also: "Serenity."
erosomniac
Member # 6834

See, when I think of Dollhouse, I think of Todd Solondz, which makes me even more excited for the show than I am already.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I like it because it reminds me of the Henry Ibsen play.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I hope it doesn't involve any Bratz [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think Dollhouse is a great title. People kvetched about Buffy, too, and they were wrong.
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People kvetched about Buffy, too, and they were wrong.
I don't know. I believe I've had a harder time selling the greatness of Buffy to my friends than I'd have had if it came with a less campy title.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Tristan:
quote:
People kvetched about Buffy, too, and they were wrong.
I don't know. I believe I've had a harder time selling the greatness of Buffy to my friends than I'd have had if it came with a less campy title.
The title and the premise have kept me from watching Buffy, to this day, probably to my loss.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Dollhouse is a great title. People kvetched about Buffy, too, and they were wrong.

Not the same. For one, the title wasn't 'Buffy'. It was 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. That's a much better, much more interesting, and much more accurate title than 'Firefly' or 'Dollhouse'.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

People kvetched about Buffy precisely because it was called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." The network actually tried changing it to just "Buffy" several times, but Joss rejected the idea. Again, Joss chooses his titles with great care, and strictly for their thematic value, not for any perceived marketability. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" needed the full title because it encapsulated the show's foundation (both ironically and seriously) in campy horror flicks. Simply titling it "Buffy" would not have that effect.

Unfortunately, the thought behind the full title only really makes sense if you actually watch the show. Newcomers (myself included for a long time) can't tell initially whether the title is meant seriously or not, and veer away because they don't want to watch a campy horror show about vampires. And yes, in doing so, they miss out on some of the best-written television ever produced. But I think it's understandable... especially considering that the advertisements for the show made it seem like 90210 with fangs. Again, the title makes thematic sense. And once you start watching the show, you grow to love it. But it's undeniably crappy from a marketing standpoint.

I suspect the same will be true of "Dollhouse." I actually do like the title as well, and like BtVS, it makes thematic sense based on what we know of the show's plot and setting: the characters are little more than toys to be played with, and put away in the dollhouse when they aren't needed. It's like Toy Story, if Buzz and Woody were brainwashed and stuffed back into their toychest with no chance of escape whenever Andy was done playing. But to someone unfamiliar with Joss and/or the show itself, the first thing that comes to mind is not "intriguing science fiction series with potential for killer drama," but "Barbie and Ken's Love Shack."

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Dollhouse made me think freaky horror movie. But I may be weird.
I think I would be more excited about the show if it wasn't Eliza Dushku. She just doesn't seem that deep of an actress.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'd like it better if it were titled "Dollhouse: Eliza Dushku Kicking Butt in Sexy Clothes" [Wink]
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
Dollhouse made me think freaky horror movie. But I may be weird.
I think I would be more excited about the show if it wasn't Eliza Dushku. She just doesn't seem that deep of an actress.

Wow. I'd consider Eliza one of the best actresses to have appeared on Buffy and Angel, and that's saying quite a lot. Her performance in the Angel episode "Sanctuary" gives me chills every time, particularly the final shot.
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to remember what I saw her on that made me not like her. On Angel, I liked her.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
I like it because it reminds me of the Henry Ibsen play.

I think you mean Henrik Ibsen.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Blasphemy.

It was all about Willow.

Faith. Definitely Faith. I 'bout died when she did the shower scene in Angel.
OMG!!! Willow/Faith femslash! *runs to google*

Edit: TOPP! W00T!!11!1!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.