FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indiana Jones 4 draws the ire of Russian Communists...

Author Topic: Indiana Jones 4 draws the ire of Russian Communists...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"talented directors want to provoke a new Cold War."

Heh. Though, it's Eric D. Snider's comment that really had me rolling.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The makers of "Band of Brothers" were also interested in stirring a future conflict between the United States, and 1940's Germany.

I thought this was a nice touch given the topic:

quote:

First, it's important to note that the Russian Communist Party isn't a tiny cabal of pamphleteering loonies à la the American Communist Party. The Russian Party got 11.6% of the vote in 2007's parliamentary elections (that's about 8 million votes), and its representatives actually hold seats in Parliament; it's the largest opposition party in the country, and the Communist presidential candidate tends to be competitive. Second: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The makers of "Band of Brothers" were also interested in stirring a future conflict between the United States, and 1940's Germany

"Also"?

Orincoro, you believe Spielberg and Lucas genuinely do intend to incite a new Cold War? [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I saws da movie and i not sure if i liked it er not, the originals wer awesome, but this new one was about aliens and stuff and it was realy bizarre. Did anyone else see it yet?
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had read about this before seeing the movie. When I saw the movie, I thought they were crazy.

After all, the Russians act in a ludicrous way that no one would believe. Come on, KGB agents with heavy accents are going to be able to just show up at a soda shop and no one's going to give them a second look?

The FBI, however, was entirely believable. They actually DID treat respected citizens with admirable records like crap during their Commie witch-hunt.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
I saws da movie and i not sure if i liked it er not, the originals wer awesome, but this new one was about aliens and stuff and it was realy bizarre. Did anyone else see it yet?

Actual discussion thread-- spoilerish
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It is worthwhile to point out that this is an interesting example of how news travels and is received around the world. Clearly, this was intended for a specific audience in Russia and not for, well, us.

Perhaps it is timely that the latest piece of news that has come across my RSS feeds is this:
http://shanghaiist.com/2008/05/26/sharon_stone_on.php

Basically, Sharon Stone suggested at the Cannes that the Sichuan earthquake may be a result of karma, which is obviously not being received so well by some in Hong Kong, let alone China proper since they had their three days of mourning last week for 65,000+ deaths.

The interesting thing is that the news clip is from Hong Kong TV and is mostly in English, but also has short Cantonese and Mandarin bits. However, the majority of the interviewed are Columbian, Japanese, and French reporters at the Cannes speaking English. Globalisation and the media is pretty cool sometimes.

In any case, both pieces are interesting illustrations of the problems of how messages targeted at some domestic groups can be received quite differently somewhere else in the world.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the topic of the FBI agents distrusting citizens, I didn't buy that even after all the KGB got killed in the Amazon, Yale would let Indy have his job back.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
While we're on the topic of the FBI agents distrusting citizens, I didn't buy that even after all the KGB got killed in the Amazon, Yale would let Indy have his job back.

Ditto. Unless he was personal friends with someone Very High Up.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Indy always chooses the most interesting friends.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:

Ditto. Unless he was personal friends with someone Very High Up.
Yeah. The big man in the sky. Which explains why he, Marion and Mutt didn't DIE in the movie, even though they should have about ten times over.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically, Sharon Stone suggested at the Cannes that the Sichuan earthquake may be a result of karma, which is obviously not being received so well by some in Hong Kong, let alone China proper since they had their three days of mourning last week for 65,000+ deaths.
It's kinda eerie to hear Sharon Stone channeling Fred Phelps.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.