FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet names

Author Topic: Pet names
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
A possible pet adoption is in the works. Looking for suggestions for names for a male black cat with white socks. 2 syllables preferred.

So far, Merlin is the top pick. Some others under consideration are Nomad, Deuce (the favorite but violates the 2-syllable rule), Napster, Pippin, Maverick, Braelin and Norbert.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite possibly the most awesome cat name I've ever seen, saw it on kittenwar sometime last year:

Da Poose.

Norbert is awesome, too.

And if anyone cares, all three of ours have a Maggie Gyllenhaal theme going: Maggie, Elizabeth, and Lee.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
geeome shortend to gome
Sven.
tibult

My favorite male cat names of all times.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I loves me some kittenwar, so I went to play a bit, and the very first matchup had a cutie named Death Machine. AWESOME!!

Merlin is a fun name. Personally, I like choosing names based on their meanings, which is how Raina got her name. It means "peace", which was fitting because I was hoping she'd help bring some calm into my life. It also means "queen", and she's definitely that, too. *rolls eyes* Since your potential kitty is black, I did a search on a baby names site for "black" and came up with a bunch of Scottish/Irish names: Dowan, Dubhan, Kieran. Corbet means "black-haired".

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I forgot about kittenwar. I had to go waste a little time there, too.

I knew that Norbert had come to mind from Harry Potter but I couldn't remember who/what he/it was. I had to do a google to remind me that he was the baby dragon.

I like Kieran; will add that to the list. Thanks!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really have to meet the cat and spend a little time with it before I'd be able to make any good suggestions.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Chloe.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

But if she named the cat Chloe she'd be obilgated to mail her to Bob, wouldn't she?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? Bob n Dana's place is about the only place that Chloe hasn't been sent!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

And given that, whose turn must it be? Hmmmm?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I don't know the Chloe story/joke. Is someone going to enlighten me?

He's a neighborhood cat, one of a litter of kittens born a little over a year ago. Someone has been feeding them, but other than that they are wild. He's really sweet and affectionate and lately has been trying to get into our house (sending our two cats into a frenzy of yowling).

Anyway, I saw him yesterday and he didn't look good--skinny and moving slowly. I said to my mom (whose house this is) "aww, no wonder he's been trying to get in, he doesn't look good, can I go give him some food?" She said yes (I asked permission because once you feed a cat, it's hard to get rid of), and he came to me when I called and he ate up his little dinner. He had lots of scabs and scratches and he obviously wasn't moving right.

Well, I went in and reported and Mom, who likes to pretend she's hard-hearted Hannah but is actually a pushover, said she'd been thinking of taking him in, especially since our cats ignored him the last time he scratched at the window. This thrilled me, because I fell in love with all those kittens the first time they showed up in our backyard, but he's the friendliest of them.

So I went out this morning and called him and after about 5 minutes I heard a little "mew, mew" and he came from somewhere down the street into our backyard, all covered with leaf litter--apparently I woke him up from a nap. He ate up his breakfast and then curled up in my lap, so I called my mom and she called the vet and we packed him into a cat carrier and into the car. This, naturally, was not his idea of fun.

Neither was the vet, poor thing -- he got poked and prodded and had samples taken from orifices and had shots and pills shoved down his throat -- all this while dogs were barking in the background.

He's feline-leukemia free, thank heavens. The vet said that most of the scabs and scratches were self-inflicted, from scratching at allergies and fleas. He does have two wounds from fights, at least one of which is infected, so he's on antibiotics. Wish us luck; he proved himself to be a feisty pill-fighter.

He's in the garage at the moment, but that's going to get too hot, so we need a change of location soon. He can't have free range of the house until we have done the proper cat introductions, which probably won't be for a few weeks--after he's had his antibiotics and his skin clears up, after which we'll get him neutered. We're hoping he won't spray between whenever we bring him inside and his surgery.

So, yup, we're crazy cat ladies who have just taken on a third cat. Wish us luck! None of the names I've thought of are sticking yet. I just want to call him Buddy or Mister, but those won't fly w/ Mom.

rollainm
Member # 8318

We got our little thirdie Lee from the wild, too. He's also quite the pill-fighter. If you don't get it to go right down his throat he'll literally project it like five feet out the side of his mouth. It's just not natural, and I have no idea how he does it so effectively.

What do you consider "proper" introductions? We've always just brought newcomers right in and let them figure things out for themselves. They typically hate each other for the first few days - growl, hiss, start fights, and such - but then they warm up to the fact that the other's not going anywhere and they start getting along. But if he's in the process of healing I can understand keeping them separated for now.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Ender? Considering whose forum we're posting on and since the cat's a third, it seems like a good name.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
What do you consider "proper" introductions? We've always just brought newcomers right in and let them figure things out for themselves. They typically hate each other for the first few days - growl, hiss, start fights, and such - but then they warm up to the fact that the other's not going anywhere and they start getting along.

Well, my mom had a cat some years back that basically never recovered from the introduction of a new kitten into the household, so she's since studied what the "experts" have said about how to do it. She keeps the new cat sequestered in a room for a few days and lets the other(s) get used to the idea of a strange cat in the house, then she moves it to another room and lets the original cat(s) smell around in the old room for a day or two, and then introduces them with the new cat enclosed in a carrier. She waits until hostilities seem to die down before letting the new cat out.

Even with those precautions, she's had a history of intolerant first cats. The two we have now are females, and although they've worked out somewhat of a peaceful coexistence, the "top cat" is kinda mean to the younger one on a regular basis. For example, she reacted to the strange new cat in the garage by intimidating Allie (number 2 cat) by parking in front of the basement door and refusing to allow her to come upstairs.

I like Ender, but Mom's final opinion rules. Looks like he's gonna be Merlin -- unless I can convince her to name him after the Norse god Loki in honor of my late Dad's Norwegian heritage.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Why name them?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

That's pretty interesting. I suppose next time we get a new cat we'll have to look into that. Hopefully that won't be for several years, though.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Black cat? Easy! Bête Noir.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

He's been in the house since Saturday evening, in an office/bedroom in the basement. I've been sleeping down here to keep him company. He appeared to be in shock/mourning for a few hours after the vet visit, but ever since then he's been chipper and seems more and more healthy. He's super affectionate and kinda feisty--when I played with him with a cat-toy-on-a-string, man, he grabbed that thing and was ready to fight to the death to keep that toy! Also, he had a paw tussle with Miss Bossy Top Cat under the door yesterday, but mostly the resident kitties have stayed far away. I'm going to start another thread with some behavior questions I have, though.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Not that this would be a good name for a cat, but I've thought that if I had three pets that were fairly indistinguishable from each other--three fish of the same species, or three gerbils or something--that I'd name them all "To-morrow".
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!

For a boy, I like "Cicero." For a girl, "Fulvia."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Darwin.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"Razor" or "T-Bone". [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousins used to have a cat named Chantage, which means "blackmail" in French. He was a black male.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

That's awesome! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, that's really good. Good enough to "borrow".
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Ender, but Mom's final opinion rules. Looks like he's gonna be Merlin -- unless I can convince her to name him after the Norse god Loki in honor of my late Dad's Norwegian heritage.
Merlin's a good name, from what you've said about his personality, I don't think Loki would really fit, he sounds too sane. I've always been a fan of proper, if slightly esoteric, names for cats like: Mortimer (the name of my first cat,) Ignatious, or Sigmund.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Chantage, huh? I like it.

I was surfing around for something else on Hatrack and found an old thread requesting a name for a guinea pig. I'd suggested Fido. I actually really like that! Don't think I'm gonna get it past Mom, though.

His face has this really Egyptian look to it. We looked up the Egyptian cat god, but Bast didn't do anything for either of us.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
quote:
Merlin's a good name, from what you've said about his personality, I don't think Loki would really fit, he sounds too sane. I've always been a fan of proper, if slightly esoteric, names for cats like: Mortimer (the name of my first cat,) Ignatious, or Sigmund.
I like those names. [Smile] My cat's name is Kepler.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
A cat named after an astronomer..I like it. My parents cats are Zuzu and Simon...you can tell which one I named. But both are equally cute, I can take the slight embarrassment of calling Zuzu over. [Smile]

I've also always thought that wine types could be potential cat names. Merlot, Pinot Noir, or Shiraz would work great.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Spooner
Mulva (or the masculine Mulvo) [Wink]
Remus
Pennywise
Ratsink
Rodicide
Parker
Schuster

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Scatpeddler
Rumplesniffer

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Chantage, huh? I like it.

I was surfing around for something else on Hatrack and found an old thread requesting a name for a guinea pig. I'd suggested Fido. I actually really like that! Don't think I'm gonna get it past Mom, though.

Heh. I have a cat named Fido. The other's Ivan (the Terrible).
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Schrödinger.
Or is that too obvious?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Just obvious enough. [Smile]
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Magnifi

Or Gato

Or Mog

Or Pasty

Or Slipper

Or Rover

Or Rex

Or, well, I'm not allowed cats due to Mrs_M's allergy, but if I did it'd be called Cat. Likewise Dog. KISS I always say... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother's cats:

Junior

Mini

Lucy

Shadow

Spot

Flash

Fluffy

Monkey

Butterscotch

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat people scare me... (those that have more than two cats).

Good cat name:
Evil

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Petra, boo hoo petra cat died. [Cry]
She was named befor I even read any of Cards books. Let petra cat's legacy live on.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Lobo! That's what I'll name him. [Evil]
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong. I like cats. I have one. Cats are just way better when there are one or two. It gets psycho when there are 3+ ...kinda like women!
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Charming.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Lobo! That's what I'll name him. [Evil]

That was the name of the cat in The Girl With the Silver Eyes, one of my favorite kids' books ever and now that I think of it probably my introduction to sci fi.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Name for a Siamese I had with mask-like eye markings: Kabuki
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

When I was a kid I had a dog that consistently had everything go her way. She was a stray, but she had the good fortune to be dumped the year a temperature inversion caused a massive die off of the northern pike in the lake near our house. Most strays, when they wandered in, were gaunt, pathetic creatures that had to be nursed back to health. She arrived at our door very well fed (a little plump, actually), and with an incredibly sleek coat of fur. Nobody in my family but me wanted to adopt her, but instead of going to one of our neighbors, she just decided that we were going to be her people, and won. We didn't let dogs in the house at that point; they slept in the basement, but for the most part they were outdoor-only dogs. Within a month or so, this dog had become an indoor/outdoor dog. Everything was that way for her--she won everything. So we called her Nike.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sachiko:
Name for a Siamese I had with mask-like eye markings: Kabuki

This reminds me that I need to take new photos of Kepler! He's a Siamese/tabby mix...with snowshoe markings and a cute black nose. And he's gotten huge since we adopted him.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Noemon: [ROFL]
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
sheesha or bushi
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
My cats names:
-Mordecai

-Triviculas

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother named one of our cats Daffy. The thing had a serious balance problem. It would not only miss what it was jumping at, it would be sitting on the arm of a chair and decide to jump up to the back. It would take a step back to get a good jump, and then realize that its step back was into thin air. With a surprised look on its face, it fell to the floor.

We think this was a psychological problem. The day it was brought home it met Gretchen, our Great Dane. Scared out of its wits it ran to a nearby small tree and climbed as hard as its kitten legs could climb. When it reached what it assumed was a safe height, it turned around to see where the mean old dog was.

The mean old dog was leaning against the tree staring at the kitten eye to eye.

Two months after my mother named the cat Daffy, the local news did a major report--What does the name you give your pet reflect about you? She said out loud, "Just because LI name my pet Daffy doesn't mean I'm daffy." She turned off the TV and left the room amongst a few giggles.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.