FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A moment to toot my own horn

Author Topic: A moment to toot my own horn
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I went to the regional Phi Alpha Theta (national history honors society) history conference to present a research paper I wrote last semester on the debate over passage of the 1959 Landrum-Griffin Act.

And I won the Cultural and Social History Paper Prize. [Smile]

The prize itself isn't that big of a deal, or that much of a distinction. It's a blurb to put on my cv, which makes me happy, as my cv is pretty bare at the moment. And the group from my school that went to the Conference were somewhat skeptical of the standards used to judge the papers...but I'm still pretty happy about it. Oakland University sent 11 presenters out of the 50 that were in attendance, and I was the only one from my school to win an award. The other four awards were won by Carthage College, which I'd never even heard of before this past weekend.

Despite the fact that it's not that much of an honor, it still feels good to have those four months of research and writing recognized in some small way. And for that matter, a bit of a victory in paring down a 46 page paper to a coherent 12 page version in order to meet the submission guidelines.

Next I'll be taking the same paper and submitting it to the local Meeting of the Minds Conference between Oakland, University of Michigan-Flint and U of M-Dearborn. And I'll be editing it back up to 25 pages for submission to the Phi Alpha Theta national competition for best undergraduate submission.

I'm currently working on my senior thesis paper, which is about the use of anti-communist Red Scare propaganda to attack civil rights leader Reverend Charles Hill of Detroit during the 1950s.

[/self-promotion]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding! congratulations! Any blurb on your CV is a good thing. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn +1. Gaining points in the game of life is always a good thing. Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lyrhawn.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool. The few times I earned an academic award, I was very happy. Enjoy the good feeling. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! For a minute, based on the title, I thought this might be an onanism thread.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Lyrhawn! Congrats.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My LPN class went to the NFLPN (National Federation of LPN's) conference last year, and we competed in the skills tests and in the quiz bowl for LPN's across the nation. We won 3 of the 4 skills challenges (and got a 100% on the 4th, but so did 2 other schools) and we killed everyone in the Quiz Bowl. We were actually getting scattered boos by the time we were announced winners the third time, believe it or not. We tied for 1st in the 4th skill, but because we won the other 3 skills they gave the trophy to another school. [Big Grin]

I sat out the quiz bowl because I felt the people who won the skills tests should get a chance to win it all, but when I was sitting down at the table I was flashing the answers to my teacher under the table (so my classmates couldn't see me, and we wouldn't get accused of cheating), and I only missed 3 answers in 3 rounds of competition. Everyone else with me knew the answers too. We were just really prepared. [Big Grin]

Lyr, congrats! Any improvment on a cv is a good thing.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lyrhawn
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That's great!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Very cool, Lyrhawn! Congratulations!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Was that the really cool paper that I read?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
Well done!
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Excellent! Was that the really cool paper that I read?

Heh, I don't know about "really cool," but yes I think that was the paper I asked for a second pair of eyes on, though this was a greatly shortened version of what you looked at.

Thanks again, btw. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the award! Awesomeness.

quote:
And for that matter, a bit of a victory in paring down a 46 page paper to a coherent 12 page version in order to meet the submission guidelines
No small feat! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing for a conference on Saturday.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.