It occured to me that the Descolada, if it were sent in a generic probe would have to know the biota in advance to set up a viable Gialogy. It could not know what pairs it would find or how to use their behavior to create stability until it was on site.
Therefore it seems logical that while the Decolada can do what it does, it is doing more then communicating with itself, it is reporting back to a higher up and recieving instructions.
Since it is a virus and cannot travel very far it seems that some local and perhaps organic device is present that possesses a philotic connection to the Descoladores is already on Lusitania.
Therefore the Descoladores would be knowlegable of humans, hence their rapid reaction when they recognized the version of the Descolada sent by the mission to their world by Quara.
They would also know about the new version of the virus that the humans had deployed.
Clearly this is a species that likes its planets to be orderly to an incredible degree. Almost like insects, so I would expect them to be much like the hive queen, except evolving by ordering their world first by breeding useful creatures through husbandry then eventually genetics. They probably percipitated a global disaster at some point and collapsed their own Gialogy, then they learned to build a simple self regulating one.
It further seems likely that the control device on site would have the power to begin at some point to make Descoladores, release them to colonize the planet that it had modified.
Since such a freakishly meticulous people would not have population pressure to drive them out of their homeworld, the way for them to colonize would be to simply send some of their offspring rather then adults.
With that in mind, one would expect the Decololadores might release their offspring in response to the arrival of the Lusitainians!
Ok, so i'm laid up with an injury this past weekend and decide to reread the Enderverse books. Then, I come online here and decide to post some thoughts on the future of the books, so what comes next are my personal derranged thoughts on what I think might show up in Shadows of a Giant and any post CotM books.
Now all this is based on my understanding that in addition to concluding the series, these books are also intended to link the series together more closely.
1. The Shadow series has in general been about Bean being the shadow of someone else. I think this is going to change in SoaG. I belive that the book is going to focus on three giant/shadow pairs. Pair one would be Bean/Bean's children. Pair two would be Ender/Jane, pair three would be Peter/Starways Congress
2. I think right now that there is about a 30% chance that when SoaG starts it will begin with Bean already dead. The story in this case would likely be Peter relating his take over of the world to Ender via the ansible. If the main story-line begins with Bean still being alive I think it will procedd with Peters take over of the world, Beans death, and then end with Peter talking to ender on the ansible. I base this on two main reasons, 1) the venerable OSC has been quoted as saying that you know when a series is over when the main character is dead and 2) its would be a good way to link the Shadow series with the Ender series. Also I have seen that OSC likes to jump around in time in his books (both Enderverse and Alvin Maker) so its likely that any serious jump in time would kill Bean.
3) Beans children will have some versionn of Anton's key, but through many generations of children or via genetic manipulation the early death will be averted. Essentially, I'm saying that his descendants will be uber smart without the death of giaganticism (sp?)
4) Beans and Petra's many-great-grand children will end up being the Ribieria's on Lusitania. This is based on assumption 3 above. We have seen that this family is consistently smart, very smart, genius smart. From the Os Venerados down to Grego they are all brilliant. My guess is that at some point they were on the colony ship that ended up in lusitania. Why? Petra and Bean talk near the end of Shadow Puppets regarding raising their children, they agree that the children will be raised catholic in memory of Sister Carlotta. Also, Beans states that he wishes to move to Arraquacca (I know I got that one wrong) where as Petra comments the children will be Armenians-Greeks who speak Portuguese, which is of course the language of Lusitania.
5)Han Tzu (Hot Soup) will found Path. I dont necessarily mean him as the person who physically starts the colony, but perhaps Hot Soup as the founder of a movement which leads to Path. Why? At the end of SP Han Tzu is fed up with how the Chinese have run the war and the government systems. I believe that it is very possible that he could have endorsed a system of governing that endorsed the smartest people as wise leaders. In the early days of Path perhaps people were identified via test similar to battle school and the trained to work in government. After the OCD gene manipulation this may have become the standard rather than testing the general populace. Perhaps what most leans me to this theory is when in SP Hot Soup confronts the governing council and discusses the "mandate of heaven". This I believe lends to my theory that he could have founded a movement which regarded the "mandate of heaven" as being important, which would then lead to its being important to the people who ended up founding Path. I think its possible that Han Tzu will use his contact with Peter and Graff to arrange to get a planet to start a new colony.
6) Peter will found the basis for Starways Congress. I saw the idea that Peter starts the Congress listed elsewhere in a forum here and agree completely. Like my theory on Hot Soup and Path, I believe that Peter himself would not establish such a body as it would dilute his power. I do think that he might have established a government council among the colonies which evolved into the Star Con after his death. This I think is the last shadow/giant relationship, in that the starways congress has but a shadow of the power of Hegemon Peter.
7) In SoaG we will see the beginnings of Jane. Since I think that this book will show the start of colonization, we will likely see a flurry of new ansibles and therefore the early beginnings of Janes existence. Jane's life would be the shadow of ender, as she was created linked to him.
well there you go, 7 theories about things that i think will be apparent after SoaG is published...
enjoy my rant,, comment, argue, disagree, agree, etc,etc.
Too much time on my hands? I typed the post out in about three minutes, as for the pre processing part my second level of conciousness did that while I was busy at work (full time) or school (16 HRS) or perhaps while I was with my girlfriend.
It is handy being able to think two things at once, but not unique.
I like the Shadow of the Giant predictions and some seem to be likely, such as the one about Path.
However with a Billion Chineses people I think that it is possible that another genius is the foundation for it, perhaps even after the Starways Congress is long established in order to be in on the ground floor with their genetic manipulations.
That brings up a second thought, the restrictions on birth rate seem to have been prematurely lifted if you ask me, The infrastructure to absorb a billion immigrants is hard to immagine, but it is certain that it did not exist at the end of the Bugger War.
I hope the book starts out with Bean alive, he deserves a death scene. It would be nice if Peter go this own books though.
kinglear, have you read the things OSC has said about the combining of these series? From what I understand, Bean and Petra's child (presumably the one in her womb currently) will meet up with Ender-as-Peter thanks to relativistic time travel. Also, the Shadow doesn't necessarily refer to the same person/thing in each book, and doesn't always refer to only one thing. I think he talks about this in one of the areas above. Research Area perhaps?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004
| IP: Logged |
Kingler, unless I'm mistakein I've seen it said that SoaG isn't the link but the book before the link.(I may be mistaken though) Also if you think about the whole Antons' key cahngeing and being dilluted look at the people of path. There Uber smart and have Long life. THey only real diferance is that it's almost like the key was only half turned so they get long life with stuff takeing longer to reach the concise(sp off i know) level. If this doesn't make seanse sorry but let me know and i'll try explaining it agin.
The Wiggin "early to bed and early to rise make a man stupid and blind in the eyes"
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003
| IP: Logged |
I don't understand what you are saying, are you saying that the key wasn't fully functional? That they kept growing, but slower? I don't think we see that in the people of path. From my understanding of Bean's problems, Anton's key had no middle ground. You either had it or you didn't, and only one person had it, Bean. Anton's key wouldn't let you be smart unless you kept growing because the growing was what let him be smart, you can't have one without the other.
What I see though, is that even had Bean not had Anton's key turned, he would have still been one of the greatest minds on Earth. He had Nikolai's gene's, even if his kids don't have Anton's key turned, they would still be geniuses, maybe not of the Wiggin or Bean quality, but they'd be genius, in the shadow of their father, the giant.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004
| IP: Logged |
kinglear said that through the genetic scienes (which are somwhat legal at the end of SP) Beans children, (who are not the people of Path, they are explained in Xenocide) The Riberia family, is born with antons key on and normal growth. it has been 3000 years past the end of Enders Game (omitting ch. 15, SftD) and ending midwayish through Shadow of the Hegemon (where graff talks about it), they might have figured a way out. and it would be a good twist since Bean is a lot like Ender's adopted son and so is the riberia family. and if not in SotG then at least a small short story or short series or even a new one about Beans children and why stop there why not write about everyone of Ender's journeys in the 3000yr gap between EG and Speaker
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004
| IP: Logged |