FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney reveals "Tron 2" teaser at Comic Con

   
Author Topic: Disney reveals "Tron 2" teaser at Comic Con
Puffy Treat
Member
Member # 7210

 - posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Description of the teaser

I haven't watched the original Tron since I was a little kid. Does it hold up?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member
Member # 4176

 - posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I haven't watched the original Tron since I was a little kid. Does it hold up?
If you're in the computer industry, it's hard to put the absurdity of it aside, but I think it does better than other movies of the era.

The video game definitely did, and it was in a similar vein.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member
Member # 8096

 - posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I watched it, I was rather surprised by how obvious the religious overtones were.
Posts: 3825 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member
Member # 9313

 - posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't get through it. I fell asleep both times I tried watching it.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member
Member # 8096

 - posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Rather poor) bootleg of the teaser available here, at least for now.
Posts: 3825 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member
Member # 7210

 - posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does look kind of cool. Crowd reaction cracked me up. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member
Member # 7625

 - posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mourn for the movies that could get made instead of rehashing every bad, old, but recognizable idea from 20 years ago. Sure, 90% of them would still suck, but there would be a chance for the other 10% to be original and surprising in some way.

Not to mention...From the link in the OP:

quote:
the new film has an official title, “Tr2n.”
Whoever comes up with unpronounceable titles like this should be required to change their legal name to 'J@8n' for the next 5 years.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member
Member # 7210

 - posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of bad movies get made each year that aren't based on 1980s stuff. Trust me. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member
Member # 7625

 - posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you there. Still, there's got to be an opportunity cost for some number of potentially good movies that get shelved so the studios can get some brand leverage out of old ideas.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member
Member # 5786

 - posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Should be fun. Always nice to see a classic back to life
Posts: 2844 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member
Member # 8096

 - posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Whoever comes up with unpronounceable titles like this should be required to change their legal name to 'J@8n' for the next 5 years.

Like "I (heart) Huckabees"?
Posts: 3825 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member
Member # 7210

 - posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I'm with you there. Still, there's got to be an opportunity cost for some number of potentially good movies that get shelved so the studios can get some brand leverage out of old ideas.

Many potentially good movies never get made, period because the development process for many movies is long and expensive, "brand name" or not. It's called Development Hell for a reason.

I should note, the idea for a Tron sequel has taken more than a decade to gel, and we still won't see much more on this until 2010-2011.

It's not something that just sprung up fully formed while non-Tron non-sequels were left to wither on the vine. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member
Member # 187

 - posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a better bootleg trailer yesterday (which I would link to but it's no longer online). The graphics looked really cool while also staying true to the original movie, so I was happy. [Smile]

I saw the first movie recently, and while I did enjoy it, it kinda fell a little flat for me. I think it was because Tron is featured in Kingdom Hearts 2, and it's basically a repeat of the movie plot, so not much was new and fresh to me. I'm kinda excited for the sequel because it WILL be entirely new, so I'm hoping I have a better time watching it. [Smile] I also think the world's really fun and it'd be cool to see some more of it.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.


Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.2