Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Too early to prepare for Boot Camp 06?

Author Topic: Too early to prepare for Boot Camp 06?
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get my money saved up and set aside so I can attend next summer. Does anyone know when OSC normally opens up the application process and selects a location?
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't (though I would guess some time in the spring), but he has said that next year's will be in the East to balance out being in the West this year.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. I'm west. Guess I'll have to wait till he comes back this way. By then I might actually be able to afford it.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to start saving now. my goal is get rejected the way autumnmuse was, but if he really wants me in, i guess i'll go.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
It's never too early to start saving the cash, especially since when you add up travel expenses and food/housing, it can be a pretty large chunk. If I remember correctly, the announcement happens early spring.

I'm starting to save the cash for Clarion, in case the opportunity presents itself next summer.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
mikemunsil wrote:
quote:
my goal is get rejected the way autumnmuse was

Trust me, Mike, that's really not your goal.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
True. I'm tempted to apply again next year under a different name just so I can go.

It sucks being rejected, even for being 'too good.' What does OSC know?

I know that I could have improved immeasurably, in addition to turning some virtual friends into real ones.

So Mike, I hope that no one else, least of all you, is ever turned down the way I was.

As far as when the applications are open, this year he announced the camp in either January or February, submissions opened beginning of March and closed end of April. People were told they were accepted/denied beginning of May.

And just because you live in the West doesn't mean you won't be accepted. OSC stressed that there would be a slight preference due to location.

As far as costs, the course itself will be in the neighborhood of $750 I think, but obviously you will have to account for travel, lodging and meals. Some *actual* bootcampers should be able to help out with figures for that part.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an age requirement for boot camp? Not that I would likely make it or be able to go anyway, just curious.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe minimum age is 18.

Autumnmuse missed out on what is probably the best week any of us spent in terms of our craft. Judging from what Scott said on the last day, she would have been on par with the rest of the group. (We had an extremely talented class this year.)

For next year, if you can't afford the 6-day bootcap, the two-day Uncle Orson's writing class is worth attending by itself. Most of the presentation content is in that portion. Keep that as an option for yourselves.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Lodging is probably the biggest wild card. I heard Scott mention that one year they had all the Boot Campers stay in the same hotel. I, personally, am grateful that wasn't a requirement for lodging. I would definitely NOT have been able to afford to go. As it was, my dad lent me his camper/trailer and I stayed at a nearby KOA with a VERY GOOD FRIEND who I miss having around to kick me in the writerly seat of the pants.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't me.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to go next year. I'm hopeing OSC will hold it in Greensboro because then I can stay with my sister and brother-in-law. I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be just a rumor but I thought he said it would be at SVU next year, the uni he teaches at. I may be worng.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.