Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Ways to Critique » For the WotF crit group folks

Author Topic: For the WotF crit group folks
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Hatrack, we post our 13 lines, opening them up for public crit. Over at the Wotf forums, we exchange the first two pages of our stories, to see if we're on the right track.

There's a short list of questions to answer, which, after having critted a few 450s, I've found to be extremely helpful. They focus my thinking while reading, and allow me to formulate thoughts into a written response beyond that of just answering the questions.

Long story long...
I wonder if we could come up with a similar list of questions for those exchanging and critiquing the WotF based stories here.

These would be totally optional, of course, but if someone else finds them as helpful as I have, then I figure it's worth posting them.

Also, these are just what I stole, and enhanced on my own.
If others dig this idea, feel free to just use these, or better yet, suggest more or different questions. i.e. these are up for debate.

1) Is there a clearly recognizable speculative element?

1a) What's the big idea? (Was there something unique/new about this story, if so, what?)

2) Does the story keep your interest all the way through?

3) Does the question set up in the beginning, get answered at the end?

4) Is the plot easily identifiable early on?

5) Does the MC or the MC's world undergo any change? (Physically or emotionally)

6) Is the MC likeable, or at least interesting?

7) Is there conflict? Is there suspense?

8) Is the world clearly drawn? (Colors, atmosphere, population.)

9) Theme?

10) Grammar and punctuation.

[ December 09, 2011, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: axeminister ]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good myth"
--Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Firefly, Our Mrs. Reynolds, 2002.

I like your list, Dustin.
Probably one of the better for defining the "Elements of Story."

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.