Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Did you ever receive an "inkless" pen from your employee?

Author Topic: Did you ever receive an "inkless" pen from your employee?
Karpentur
Member # 2421

- posted      Profile for Karpentur   Email Karpentur         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my name is Karpentur and I am a mid-life criser. (All together now! Hello Karpentur!) I have most everything I had endeavored to have at this point in my life. A wonderful wife, three beautiful, bright, talented, loving children, a challanging/fullfilling career (it could pay a little better though), a nice house, nice truck, friends, family, a stray cat and one remaining kitten, etc. At 42, (that happened last week) I am looking for a new hobby or challange. I enjoy reading, but am often annoyed at errors in published work. Many times, I have said to myself, "Self, you aughta have proofread this before they published this here book!" Or "I can't believe that a spell checker didn't catch this here mistake." Okay, so I am sure anyone reading this has already noted several errors in my own writing or at least my thinking. Never said I was perfect, well actually I have said that many times, but then I don't really and truly believe it and no one else does either. I still have problems with where the comma goes when I write conjunctions. And, I have all but given up trying to decide when the words affect and effect are appropriate. I just avoid both of them, which doesn't seem to affect/effect/hinder my results. I still don't know what that rule against ending a sentence with a preposition is for! However, if you should ask my employees about my proofreading, you would get quite a response. I always warn the newbies, and usually give them an example of a recent bloody draft of one of the seasoned staffers. It helps reduce the pain for their first time. One of my favorite employees gave me pen with all the ink removed and had labeled it "Pen to review XXXX's work." I cherish that pen. I almost said that I doubt anyone would pay me for my editing skills, but then I just explained that my current employer does exactly that. However, I work with technical documents and correspondence and public notices, etc. I would like to try my hand at reviewing creative writting. A second reason for signing on here, is that my children seem to have some talent for creative writing and I would like to foster that talent in them. I hope to convince them to post their work in the appropriate place here in the future. I am a nice fellow, I love to help people, and I like to attempt being humorous in what I write, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. (Yes I know, it should have been "doesn't," but I am currently reading Alvin Journeyman, and that's the way Alvin or Arthur Stuart would say it!"
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack! I look forward to getting to know you.

Have you ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? I think you would enjoy it.

http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Karpentur.

I don't believe anyone has ever given me an inkless pen (well, not deliberately). Hope you enjoy it here.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - everybody ready?.......

HELLO KARPENTUR !

Welcome. Yes I have been give an inkless pen and I must say there was a sad and hidden dissappointment. It was almost like getting a dead fish wrapped in newspaper and thrown through my door. What was the message I asked but there was no reply.

Hope to get to know you better and hope you enjoy your time here.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Karpentur
Member # 2421

- posted      Profile for Karpentur   Email Karpentur         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the notes of welcome gentlemen. The guy that gave me the inkless pen has moved to a new position in North Carolina. We are actually best friends. He has mentioned several times since he started the new job that he now appreciates having learned from those bloody drafts.

MikeMunsil, Thanks for the references you provided here and by email. You were right. I really could intentify with the authors of those books. While reading one the excerpts, I found myself "LOL" quite often. Of course I do realize it is much easier to point out errors than it is to create, and I totally agree that much of grammer and puncuation is a matter of opinion. On my day job, the fun part is that "My Opinion" wins, whenever I want it too!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Karpentur
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Karpentur

Welcome to Hatrack

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.