FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Advent Rising - PC/XBOX Game Story By OSC!!!

Author Topic: Advent Rising - PC/XBOX Game Story By OSC!!!
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

- posted      Profile for HonestAbe   Email HonestAbe         Edit/Delete Post 
www.adventtrilogy.com

This game looks absolutly awesome, and OSC wrote the screenplay for it, suposedly the first book is suposed to come out coinciding with the first game, then the second book, second game will come out and so forth. The game is like a choose your own adventure action role playing game. There can be different twists and endings depending on your choices.

The story is facinatly (of course) and the game looks like tons of fun. Anyone else got any info on the game and/or books?

Make sure you check the links in the press section and watch the trailer (there is another trailer that have in-game footage, but it's not on the www.adventtrilogy.com site.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this has been around for a while. I'll certainly want to check it out, though.

Does anybody else find it presumtious to call it the advent trilogy before they even have one yet?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Have what? The books? OSC is writing them. If you mean the games, then ya it's kinda risky to call it a trilogy now, before the first one is even out yet, but the game has the potential to be a blockbuster. The story is written by OSC, they're useing a great engine for the game (the unreal warfare engine), the levels are reported to be huge and highly detailed, the gameplay is also reported to be awesome, the theory behind the choose your own adventure type game, if done properly, would be revolutionary.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, you know, I've been thinking about this the last while.

This is the first quarter of 2004. What is the status of the game? And the novel?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Yes no new info has been released for quite some time. It's pretty safe to assume with most games that it was delayed.
Locke%Hegemon@polnet.gov
Member # 6244

- posted      Profile for Locke%Hegemon@polnet.gov   Email Locke%Hegemon@polnet.gov         Edit/Delete Post 
The last i knew about the status of the game that is is supposed to come out during the fall quarter of 2004. But as previously said the game may be delayed such as Starcraft Ghost and Halo 2 were.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Pretty much every game gets delayed, it's very rare one comes out early in a complete form. I hope OSC can give us some info on the game, story, or books though, cause it looks really interesting.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm planning to hang out with the GlyphX guys at e3, so give me a couple of months to get the official lowdown [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Awesome, we should compile a list of questions for you to ask them [Smile]
Kai_Hawatari
Member # 6271

- posted      Profile for Kai_Hawatari   Email Kai_Hawatari         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I've been keeping up with news on this game and here's what I've got:

From the original trailer we see that the game is going to take an extremely cinematic approach. The game is designed to vary itself depending not only on choices you make, but also on your performance. For instance, when your ship's engines die (which is part of the plot) you must try and crash-land into the space-port. If you don't then you'll probably crash in the city and kill hundreds of people... Also, the different attacks and style of fighting you use will determine how your character becomes stronger. For instance, if you kick a lot, then your legs get stronger. If you jump a lot, you are able to jump higher. If they pull this off it will be an absolutely amazing game.

Now for the bad news:

the developer recently released a movie of the gameplay. As you watch it you can see some fairly obvious, and very significant problems. Primarily is the animation. The cut-scenes we saw in the trailer looks AMAZINGLY well animated, but the in-game stuff looks very blocky and jerky leading it too look to 'actionish' rather than fighting realistic, intelligent aliens. Keep in mind though, this game isn't done. The animation is very likely still being developed and we could see a huge change before it is released.
Another problem was the overall gameplay mechanics. It looks, right now, far too much like the matrix game. This isn't a good thing... There was very little gameplay that showed any of the amazing psychokinesis skills that the character is supposed to have leaving not much more than gunfights with the odd slo-motion effect.

So, in the end, it comes down to how much they fix the animation, and how solid and varied the gameplay engine turns out to be. I'm keeping my hopes high...

[Party] <- These little guys are just odd...

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Yes I noticed that also, hopefully they'll improve those downsides. The levels look stunning, and they havn't even begun to talk about multiplayer yet. One thing to consider though is that gameplay footage looks to me as if it's from the console version of the game, and they said the pc and console versions will be different. Contols are always easier for a pc, so maybe that would help a bit.
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm i checked it out...the weapons on it and eveyrhting and graphics kinda look like the Halo ones...but halo isnt really based on much...but ive never seen a game based on a book lol....it would be a lot cooler if you could play online and against others....does anybody know when its possible beta realease or public release be?

[ March 04, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: BattleSchooler06 ]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kai_Hawatari
Member # 6271

- posted      Profile for Kai_Hawatari   Email Kai_Hawatari         Edit/Delete Post 
Being that it will be released on console, I highly doubt there will be a pre-release beta.

The main difference, I understand, for the PC version will be the option to play the entire game in 1st person.

Don't know why you'd want to though.....

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.