FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Worthing Saga & Homecoming

Author Topic: The Worthing Saga & Homecoming
Auron of Zanarkand
Member # 6257

- posted      Profile for Auron of Zanarkand   Email Auron of Zanarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently just read The Worthing Saga. It's like..good, ya? But, I have a question! With the drug, "somec" would your body age when you "went to sleep"? Or did I miss something?

Also, I just finished the first volume in Homecoming, "The Memory of Earth", it was..very..interesting. The Oversoul seems like a good solution to stop this madness in our society. Don't you think?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No, your body doesn't age while you sleep. That is why people are able to live hundreds or thousands of years.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the term "sleep" goes. It wasn't the same as the sleep you and I get. It was just the term they used to describe what happened to you.

The Oversoul has interesting connotations when put in the pespective of the Book of Mormon and the LDS church. My personal opinion is that anything that controls or coerces is not such a good idea.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Curse that gravity for controlling our vertical movement!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Think happy thoughts Porteiro, gravity shall then accost you no more!
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep is when the body regenerates. I should think the problem would be in them not getting younger. [Wink] OSC must have been the father of little babies when he wrote this book. Sleep... Sleep... precious precious sleep...

P.S. Our society has an oversoul, the media. Unfortunately it's goal tends to be to persuade us to give it money more than to persuade us to avoid our own distruction.

[ March 08, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Help! I'm floating into space! *grumble*

Ah, there. That's better. I'll just have to remember to think cranky thoughts so that I don't get flung from the earth.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.