FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin's Change

Author Topic: Alvin's Change
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody else feel cheated a bit by the tone of the Crystal City? In Heartfire Alvin has a cocky Take on the World attitude and it works for him.

Then in the next Novel it is as if he is an old man filled with dispair, he has allienated his wife and friends and he just seems depressing.

I guess it is in all of us to wonder what we would do with the Maker Knack, and I for one would never go into a tailspin about what I could not do, I would sytematically embrace the things I could do while refining my skill to do more.

Oh well perhaps it was to make him seem mature, or to give him that world weary feel that you get when you read about Jesus in the Garden at the begining of the Passion. Ready to lay me down and rest so the book where he dies wont be such a shock or disappointment.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It just seems to me like he is growing up. It happens to the best of us. [Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slurpy
Member # 6505

- posted      Profile for Slurpy   Email Slurpy         Edit/Delete Post 
Losing a child will do that to you.

I felt that it was executed very effectively, if a bit abruptly.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It only seemed abrupt to us. Years passed between the last two books. A lot of personal stuff happened to him during that time that would change him. But the stuff probably wouldn't have made that fun of a story, so OSC left it out, and skipped ahead to the juicy bits. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
btw, you should read the short story by card that is in Legends II it fills in some of the gap, and introduces Abe

Speaking of Crystal city, and idea when the next book is due?

[ May 01, 2004, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a more important part of what's happening with Alvin is that some of his followers are beginning to view him as a religious figure, which he never undertook to be.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

after crystal city I was really disapointed in Calvin. I had hoped after he felt all warm and fuzzy for thinking he had helped in the slave revolt that he would have shaped up again. But sure enough, he was anoying as ever in crystal city.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next book. Maybe having measure around will help Alvin deal with the fact that Calvin will always be a pain in the ass, as well as dealing with the fact that his other friendships have changed. I also think Abe will be a big help, not only with Alvin, but the crystal city community as a whole.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

In the Chrystal City I am curious as to the composition of the population. ie what percent is black, what percent is French and how many are now Alvin's old friends from Hatrack and Vigor Church. The reason I ask is for political clarification, after all freed blacks are not able to vote in the United States so despite being perhaps a majority they might not be politically significant.

I look forward to Gullah Joe meeting La Tia perhaps in the next book. And I agree that I expected more from Calvin. He and Bowie might end up crossing the river with a large force through Calvin's power. It would be nice to see Verily and Purity get married as well as Aurthur Stuart and Mary.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Where did it say that freed slaves cannot vote?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

It is referenced in the Prentice Alvin Book when discussing Authur Stuarts education, and what it would be for.

BC

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But legally, Arthur Steward is not a freed slave, is he? He's a free-born black man. Legally, that is.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
He was born in capativity, and she ran with him afterwards. He was born a slave.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

quote:
He was born in capativity, and she ran with him afterwards. He was born a slave.
That is reality...porteiro was likely refering to the fact that legally Authur Stuart was found to not be the slave of that owner. Alvin changed him so the slave finders could not recognise him, and he was then declared to be free born, not an escaped slave.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Exactly.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.