FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Card Superstitious?

Author Topic: Card Superstitious?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Many of us know that when something works for us, like a lucky shirt, or cap when we do something great we tend to try to repeat the circumstance down to the most trivial detail.

This is normal, in things like bowling it is even valuble, after all if you roll a strike once if you do everything the same you will do it every time.

So here is the fun part, Wiggin, two sylables with a double in the middle, Miller is the same. Alvin and Ender share length and consonant slots. There are other names that are versions and variations of each other in the two series as well.

Is OSC trying to follow a pattern or is there one engraved in his soul like some pulsing Zealazny construct? [Wink]

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time since I've read Zelazney. What were some of his intentional similarities? I must not have noticed...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JO14921
Member # 6562

- posted      Profile for JO14921   Email JO14921         Edit/Delete Post 
That is actually a very interesting connection that you just made, although, I have to believe it to be coincidence. What exactly is Zealazny, though? Oops... my ignorance keeps falling out. Anyway, even though Homecoming might be the least popular of his three major series, you can't compare the other two without this one. And Nafai doesn't flow with that logic. Nevertheless, I would very much like to know more about this Zealazny.
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Zelazny is (was) an author who wrote the two five-book series collectively called The Chronicles of Amber. They are really cool.

But I'm not sure what was meant by a pulsing Zelazny construct.

[ May 22, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Amber novels, a great deal is made of the Pattern, a literal path etched into the floor of Castle Amber that pulses with light when walked by the royal family. I assume this is the reference. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky me, having just finished the first five, I didn't even have to think to get that.

And, Porter, from an aim conversation you probably don't remember, no, I don't think Jack of Shadows was a trial run at all. There are similarities at the beginning, and there is a jewel with some funky properties in each, but it's not conceptually close. Of course, if you can find a copy, I highly recommend it.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I only read the first five as well. Started reading the second five but I guess I think I lost intrest... Or perhaps that was when I started reading Card. Dunno. Long time ago. Zelazney is an incredible writer though, and the Amber series is excellent.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I assumed it had something to do with the Pattern, but it just didn't seem to fit the topic.

And I have Jack of Shadows. I just need to read it. Someday...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with Z- dude, but I don't think the CV patterns of the names are magical. Are these other works being referred to about CV patterns?

Also, Ender's born name was Andrew, and Alvin's name when he grows up is Smith. Or, if you want to go by the series title, Maker.

[ May 25, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

I checked the 3rd, 4th and 5th books out at a Library. Now that Im re-reading the series Im having trouble finding those three at our local Barnes & Noble... And I'm too lazy to put in an order for it... Since by the time it gets in I wont have the money to buy it :-P

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.