FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Do you find yourself afraid

Author Topic: Do you find yourself afraid
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
to buy your favorite books?

Every time I'm at the bookstore, I look at a copy of EG. But I can't convince myself to buy it. And I absolutely love it. I only read it on the occasions I get it from the library.

It's like that Lewis book, Perelandra. He talks about getting something great only once in a while, because, say, listening to a syphony over and over decreases it.

Is it crazy to fear buying EG and putting it at my convenience will decrease its power and value?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Do you have any idea how much money I've spent repeatedly buying copies of EG since 1987? Neither do I - but at least one copy if not two each year.

Why?

I lend it out with the words, "You gotta read this - you'll love it." And I never (NEVER) get my copy back.

Stick to the library version, bud - it's far more affordable.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthro,

I think that's a perfectly legit sentiment. Repetition brings boredom, or worse... Rereading a fav book or reviewing a fav film can have the effect of highlighting the seams and the holes - the flaws. Alternatively, foregoing revisitation of past favs can enable the nice clean stable of romantic memories.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the opposite way. Anytime I read a book that I like I end up going to the bookstore and buying it. I guess I just like having the book with me whenever I feel like reading it.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Crystal, but it's mainly because most of my friends I've recomended books to have gone to the library before I had the chance to lend it ti them.

[ June 03, 2004, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Epictetus ]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also with Crystal on this one (*waves at Crystal* Hi Honey! How are ya?).

My books are like a security blanket...as are my CDs. I have to have them all ready all the time depending on what mood I'm in. I may go through phases of not reading, say, Enchantment, for a while cause I've read it so many times. But I ALWAYS go back and read it again. If it weren't there when I felt like reading it, I would feel like the planets had slipped out of alignment or something.

Same thing with my music. [Smile] I'm truly a geek.

(Shan, you should know better than to lend out your books. [Smile] Have cards made up that say "Go read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, you'll love it." That would probably be cheaper. [Razz] )

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have an over-active collector gene. I tend to buy rather than borrow, but I rarely re-read. My problem is justifying a re-read when I have other stuff on my "gotta read" list.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
nah nothing wrong with that. seems like i enjoy having to go out of my way to read a book or watch a movie. It like anticipation. I am kind of hesitant to buy EG to because im afraid im going to have it at my leisure keep reading it and then lose intrest. Dont want that to happen but ill probably end up buying it anyway cause its my favorite book since this past year.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Narnia - but they get read when I hand out the actual copies -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind buying books (even more than once). First, I read them (selfish enjoyment). Then, I pass them on. Either to a friend, or to an empty table in an airport terminal for example. I figure it's a charity of sorts. cerebral.

fallow

[ June 04, 2004, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] Ender's Game is undoubtedly the book I have reread the most times, and rereading it hasn't allowed me to spot any seams or flaws, but rather to get more subtleties I didn't pick up the first time or six. I think it would work as you say for a lot of books, but, in general, it hasn't worked that way for me with OSC books.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I lend it out with the words, "You gotta read this - you'll love it." And I never (NEVER) get my copy back.
How true that is Shan. I guess all the people I give my books to like them so much they aren't going to give them back. I'm not sure whether to be happy because they've grown fond of Card's literature or be angry because I'm paying for their reading... Hmmm...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
wELL
U PROB HAVE THIS GOING THROUGH UR HEAD
"if i have read it all these times for free, why buy it"

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

- posted      Profile for julian   Email julian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's said that there are two kind of fools: those who lend books and those who return them. I belong to both groups.

I bought Ender's Game (and other books) many times. I only have one copy now.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure my friends who recently helped me move wish I was more afraid of buying books! [Wink]

If I see a good book for a decent price, I just can't resist. I have a first ed. of Ender's Game signed by OSC that I wouldn't lend out even to my dearest friend, but other than that I'm more than happy to share my books with anyone, and its just an added bonus if it finds its way back to my bookshelf again.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about the moving thing. In addition to all the books I have (1 1/2 bookcases full of just Star Trek novels, besides all the rest), I also collect comic books. The last time I moved, my friends actually told me that the next time I moved, they weren't moving the comics.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.