FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Powerful

Author Topic: Powerful
Aria
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for Aria   Email Aria         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure this has been discussed a million times in this forum, but im new so [Razz] and i want to talk about how great OSC is.

I only found the books a few days ago but already im hooked and can honestly say that Ive never read better books EVER. Theyre so READABLE. Im only up to Xenocide (still waiting for Waterstones to get Children of the mind) so no spoilers, but has anyone else noticed how amazingly powerful OSC's ideas are!! For example children involved in war, Alien ramen and most especially his discussions expressed through Wang Mu about the Gods. The part im talking about is the entire section from 407-413.

I think its possibly the most profound thing ive ever read.

Thoughts anyone?

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I prefer chicken ramen myself.

Mmmm... Ramen.

[Smile]

Welcome to the fold, hope you can take a joke.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
welcome, and I think most of us know exactly how you feel. It's pretty cool when you first discover OSC. Congrats.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack Aria! Xenocide definitely ranks as one of my favorite books.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
hi everyone- I guess I should go to the new members formum to officially introduce myself- but I thought I'd reply here first. I have read almost all of OSC's books- Powerful is a good description- His character development is one of the best- I'll read his books over and over because it feels like I'm visiting old friends.
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, OSC books are amazing and i think they have changed my life for the better. I dont no how someone comes up with such brillant ideas, but he does it and i enjoy reading and discussing his books.
Im currently on heartfire the fifth book in the alvin maker series. I didnt think after the ender series, books could get much better, but i was dead wrong. He never seces (excuse my spelling)to amaze me. I cant wait to read every single one of OSC's books.

Also welcome to hatrack

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria
Member # 6699

Thankyou for welcoming me all of you. Its good to find a place to talk about such brilliant book coz i can tell you now that my friends are are getting bored of my raving :S

Yeah Bok i can take a joke, im just waiting for you to make a decent one [Wink]

I know what you mean Enderwillsaveusall, after i finished Ender's Game I waited two days before starting Speaker For the Dead because i was afraid that it would disappoint me by not being as good, Thankfully it was and it got better and more brilliant when it reached Xenocide.

Again Thank you for being so welcoming [Big Grin]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrumph.

Well, you'll have to wait in line; there's plenty more people that have beenwaiting longer for the same thing [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria
Member # 6699

You surprise me [Wink]
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
After I read Ender's Game, it was four months before I could get my hands on another OSC book. That is a pretty long waiting period.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE "Songmaster". So cool.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria
Member # 6699

songmaster?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes -- when I first came here, I, too, thought I had read nearly everything OSC had written.

Then I checked his "library" link above, and heard of more and more books from other Hatrackers, and realized how much more I had to learn.....

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, thought I had read nearly everything OSC had written.

Then I saw CalvinMaker's list.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC is pretty profound as well, he represents a shift in SF for me from the hard to soft sciences. I deeply love Asimov's body of work and much of the technical Sci fi that revolves around the impact of innovation on society. However the trend now is to extrapolate political science into the future. Dune, and Ender and other recent series focus on the interpersonal and social consequences of future events. I miss the old stuff, but appreciate the new. Kim Stanely Robinson does a good job balancing both.

I have read posts that say that America will fall to pieces and other such opinion as fact nonsense and this is a consequence of the soft science world. If you cannot express it with math it is opinion not fact. However OSC has interesting opinions.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.