FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » First Meetings

Author Topic: First Meetings
Aria
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for Aria   Email Aria         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone.

Ive just finished "First Meetings" (whilst waiting for my local waterstones to FINALLY get hold of "Children of the Mind") and i dont mean to be nitpicking but i think im trying to reaffirm my atheist status and stop thinking of OSC as God [Smile] But i noticed a couple of discrepencies

Id just like to say first of all that the first two stories "Polish Boy" and "Teachers Pest" were AMAZING truly OSC best.

But "Ender's Game" has some differences to the book. - He mentions that Ender is 11 when he gets to be a commander and that he had been at BS for 3 years but i thought that he got there when he was 6 not 9 and also that he was 9 when he became a Commander.

I may have just been mistaken and I hope so, then you other readers and fans can correct me and i can restore my faith in OSC.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry. The short story and novel versions of Ender's Game are different in several ways, so it's not a mistake you've spoted, just a difference.

So you can still think of OSC as a god. [Smile]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
The short story you read was the original opus. It was years later that Card adapted it to the novel we know and love.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sephiroth the Enigma
Member # 6735

- posted      Profile for Sephiroth the Enigma   Email Sephiroth the Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm...The book we know and love. More so the last three in that chapter. When I read Ender's Game, and then the last three sequels, the first seems really..farfetched. You know? All the same good books. I think First Meetings was a good idea for those who read it. Learning how Jane comes into the picture was rather entertaining. Imagine if someone like that was in my spyware/adware infested computer..I wish. xD.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.