FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ok, 'fess up...

Author Topic: Ok, 'fess up...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So I saw a first edition hard cover copy of Maps in a Mirror at Powell's here in Portland...(yeah, you know you want one) for the whopping sum of $65. [Eek!] yeesh!

I covet it, but at the same time, I'm grateful for my mass market paperback copy. *hugs paperback copy* Every hatracker I've talked to, wants to own this book of awesome short storydom. I began to wonder, how many of us had actually read the whole thing all the way through?

*admits* I hadn't until I finally owned a copy. I just read it cover to cover a few months ago (before then I had only read about half) and it was an awesome experience.

So how many of you have actually read ALL of the stories in Maps in a Mirror? It's a curiosity of mine, answer if you choose. You can even admit if you haven't read ANY of it. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have.

Twice.

[Cool]

(Once from the library book on a camping trip and then once again when I bought the books for Tony's birthday. I even waited until after he'd read them. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the whole thing except the Alvin Maker poem.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the whole thing when my library first got it (this was the original edition) and then again about a year later. Sadly, I haven't read it since then, because some creep stole it from the library. [Mad]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Many many times.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through the whole thing cover-to-cover several months ago when I bought it.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the whole thing about 10 years ago.

Thinking of Eumenities still freaks me out, but Kingsmeat never squicked me in the slightest.

edit: That's not true. It did slightly squick me. but a lot less than a lot of his other stuff.

[ November 30, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Kingsmeat didn't squick me, but thousand deaths still kind of does. [Smile]

What I loved when I finally made it to it, was Holy. And the Originist. Two awesome stories that I hadn't reached the first time almost through it. [Smile]

Yeah, and Eumenities still scares me. Eewwwww!!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a signed first edition of (I think) Xenocide -- maybe it was _Children of the Mind_ for around $25 at a local used book store. Did I pass up a bargain? Christie
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I have once, and and am in the process of reading the mass paperback edition from cover to cover (I'm getting ready to read "A Plague of Butterflies.") As for Eumenides, it squicked me out, but for some reason it just didn't speak to me as much as other stories (like "Unacompanied Sonata," which I think is among the best examples of English-language short fiction in existance today.)
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it twice. I have the hardcover, but for the life of me can't remember how I got it (it was well after it had been published).

Kingsmeat disturbed me in a similar way to that of dystopian stories I read. Which to me is more gratifying than the gross-out stuff in Eumenides.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the whole thing, once. It belongs to the local public library, and I had a deadline....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I own two copies, and have read it -- the whole thing -- several times.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah-HA!

quote:
. . . some creep stole it from the library. [Mad]
quote:
I have the hardcover, but for the life of me can't remember how I got it (it was well after it had been published).
[No No]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it all the way through, twice, both times from the library. The paperback edition is on my Christmas wish-list, though [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*points Stray's secret santa to this thread*

yeah, if I knew who he/she was... [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.