FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Redemption Of Ender

Author Topic: The Redemption Of Ender
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
After all Enders been through, virtually turning himself into villian to be hated thanx to the very book he wrote I think it would be a fitting end to the series for Enders Redemption. In my ending after Peter revives the Locke persona and becomes Hegemon he should be Enders Speaker. Let the truth about Enders life be finally told. Let's be honest The Ender we All know and loved died the moment he discover the truth his "game".What we see after is an Man that hates himself, a person who doesn't love himself enough say anything to stop the demonization of his good name. Let Ender be known not as the Xenocide but as Ender The Redeemer. He Redeemed Humanity of it's greatest sin (the Destruction of the buggers) Its time everyone knows it.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, and here I was hoping that Peter would find the 7 dragon balls and wish him back in kid form.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

What Exactly would you do with a young Ender? Unlease him on the descoladores?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What Exactly would you do with a young Ender? Unlease him on the descoladores?
Of course not! First there would be the issue of leasing him out in the first place, and once the contracts have been signed I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to unlease him.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

Whoops...I meant to say unleash...
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. They might have some very good lawyers on Lusitania.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

And lets not forget Jane...if there's a loophole she's sure to find it
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I can just imagen any human speaking Ill of Ender Wiggen in front of a piggy or bugger. If Soneone else doesn't set humanity strait about him I'm sure they will. I can just see humanity trying to figure out at first how both alien races seem to love Ender so much. Not to mention I'm sure Humnaity will be a little curious to no how the Formics suddenly were resurrected.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I think spell-checker is ruining what could be a great generation of spellers.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Why should Ender need to be redeemed. The point was that when he died everyone he cared about and loved knew the truth and who cares what anyone else thinks?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

It's very sad. This generation was, as scott hinted at, to stride forth into the world confident to spell and banish the demons of Error. But now they have been hobbled by the slaves of the demons themselves: spell-check.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I always thought that Ender was "redeemed" by the events in Speaker for the Dead.

:shrug:

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dunno. I think spell-checker is ruining what could be a great generation of spellers
Well, my father was a perfectly atrocious speller, and he would be 75 if he were still alive today. Christie
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure that if you're stuck with a language with such irregular spelling as English, you deserve to be able to misspell words.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Why are you wasting board space in this forum with irrelevent discussions on our spelling prowess when we should be discussing Ender? Also as to something that was said to my earlier post. How was Ender redeemed in Speaker for the Dead.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statwizard
Member # 7279

- posted      Profile for statwizard   Email statwizard         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO: Ender took limited information and made the best decision he could given what he was told. He wasn't intentionally going out trying to hurt people. He did what was necessary to protect himself against Bonzo. He did what the ruling class felt was necessary to protect civilization. In that, I don't think he is any different from most soldiers.

So what does he need to be redeemed for? What is it I am missing?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

Well at the end of Children of the Mind almost all humans viewed Ender as the most vile human who ever lived. Meanwhile Peter has become a George Washington like figure. It would be nice if Ender was remember for other things besides what happened in the war.
scottneb
Member # 676

I find it funny that people become so accustomed to the "auto-correct" feature in Word Processing, that once they start typing in a program without Spell-Check (UBB) their true spelling habits come through.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
My middle school teachers never could understand how I read at a collage level , yet spelled at early elementary school level. If English had a consistent system of spelling like spanish (Which I never mis-spell)then I wouldn't have a problem. I just can't Memorize very well.

And no spell cheack didn't ruin me, I don't think I've ever used it to my Knowledge in the first place (to the disappointment of my teachers).I'm just too lazy to bother with it. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Based on the arguements I've made, I'd say that's the better not to use spell-check unless you're stuck with a word you can't spell. I think Auto-Correct is evil.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Auto-Correct is evil.
Hideous! May I quote one of my other posts?

quote:
quote:
I guess you could spin-off and say "what's the point in teaching our kids to spell if they unlearn it in Middle School/ Jr. High as soon as they start learning word processing programs?"
Even at age 5, when my father let me write letters to relatives in Australia, I always put a capital at the beginning of a sentence and a full stop at the end. I knew that when you take a breath you put a comma, brackets add stuff and names are capitalised.

Sure, I wasn't a pro, but I always knew that if I don't do what I should, I just look stupid.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are you wasting board space in this forum with irrelevent discussions on our spelling prowess when we should be discussing Ender?
On this board, threads are known to wander. Don't get upset, don't panic-- if you want to return the conversation to some previous subject, or (HEAVENS!) the original topic, just bring it up again.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

Don't think I've ever had auto-correct (which I guess shows how old my computer is....).
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
i think the last thing ender would want us to do it throw a pity party for him.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Pity parties do have the best cake.
urbanX
Member # 1450

I would hope the person who started the whole "Speaker for the Dead" semi-religion would have someone speak for them. It's only fair.
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone did speak for him. It was Pilkt. (It was Pilkt, right?). Speaking of, from what language does that name originate? Or was OSC just playing with Scrabble letters one day?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

She doesn't count. Ok, you got me on that point. I forgot that character even existed. How about Val write a book about his life?

[ February 01, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Plikt was from Trondheim, which was settled by the Norwegians (or some other northern European country). So, there you go.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She doesn't count. Ok, you got me on that point. I forgot that character even existed. How about Val write a book about his life?
You should visit this thread immediately. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
I like T_Smith's idea. Peter should go on an adventure to get the dragon balls and wish Ender back. And to fit the anime theme, screw 'Redemption' - it should be called 'Ender Forever'.

Judas

(Spoilers)

(Spoilers

This is here because people can't help but read a little of the first line anyway, even if they don't really want to know anything.- Ender still isn't dead, mind you. He's still alive within two seperate bodies basically. Though it may be what he had pictured two people being in his mind. It's still his life within those two creatures. Kinda like cutting a worm in half and, adding food coloring to em' or something. (shutup, it was the first thing that came to my mind)

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think it's more similar to slicing a sponge in half and each one becoming it's own seperate being (though it might be a little messier with humans).
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

and then sprinkling them with food coloring?

Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

One slight problem. Making a body is easy when you go "outside". However the body you create won't have it's own auia (did I spell that right?). So it would not be long before Peter or Ender crumbled into dust, depending of course which body the auia choose.
Judas
Member # 7355

You read it right Urban?(spoilers spoilers spoilers) then you should know that Ender's Auia was split up between the three bodies, and that's why he was dying, he was nearly empty.. and I don't remember everything exactly, but i think he put everything he could into nu-Peter while Jane took the body of young Val. - Actually could someone refresh me on some of those last occurrances in CotM?

Judas

Quimby2999
Member # 7044

After splitting himself three ways Ender started dying because he couldn't sustain his own life anymore and subconciously he didn't really care about Young Val anymore, so she was slowly dying out too. All of his aiua was being placed into Peter. Ender's original body died, Val gave up her body to Jane's aiua, and Peter became Ender, so to speak. Is that what you were looking for?
Judas
Member # 7355

Yep, thanksers Mista Quim- just needed a refresher

Judas

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

That leads into the thought that wouldn't it be awesome to have a new peter series? The adventures of peter that is ender. That would be cool.
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

No. No no no! NO NO NO NO NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Err . . . sorry. It's just getting extremely annoying how many different Ender books people are talking about! I think SotG and one FINAL book (like this so-called linking book) will be enough to tie up the series. I don't want to see the Hive Queen/Hegemon, I don't want to learn more about Sister Carlotta or Anton, and I don't want to see a Mazer book. It's a great series and all, but STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! [Angst]

urbanX
Member # 1450

I have to agree. This whole series started from one little short story. I was a kid when I first started reading it and I would hate to retire still reading the same series.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Fine your right I got over exited. [Blushing] [Dont Know]
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
(SPOILER)

UrbanX, I apologize if I'm re-stating information, but after Ender-as-Ender dies and Pilkt speaks his death, the speaking was transmitted throughout the Hundred Worlds via ansible, OSC doesn't go into detail and explain the ramifications of the fact that now the Hundred Worlds realizes that the original Speaker for the Dead and Ender the Xenocyde were the same person. He was redeemed we just didn't see his redemption in the eyes of humanity. The best part about all that is that Ender-as-Ender needed to die for that information to get out because he was the one who most admonished his own actions as a child. At any point in the 3000 years since the xenocyde Ender could have come out and said "hey people, quit hating me so much, I wrote The Hive Queen and the Hegemon," but he didn't because their hatred was his bourdon to bear and his only penance for the awful atrocity he has committed as a child. It wasn't till Ender left his body and became Ender-as-Peter that he could finally see for the first time that his actions were guided. He blew up the Bugger home-world to show that he was unreliable so that, hopefully, his training could be over and he could go home and see Val again.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.