FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Serenity

Author Topic: Serenity
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity the greatest sci-fi moive eh Orson?
I thought you liked star-trek? [Smile]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
This should be interesting....
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it myself after a day of watching all of firefly. I have to say...it's a DAMN GOOD MOVIE!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's my favorite movie of the year, and perhaps my favorite movie... period. I'll be seeing it again in theaters.

The movie really got to me, and I still don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it was a hell of a ride.

Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
It is very good. I agree with OSC on his assessment of Charlie Kaufman, though.. Eternal Sunshine may be one of the most brilliant movies I have ever seen..

I can't say I put Serenity on that level, but it's darn good.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I really really liked it. I don't want to go overboard because I don't want to overinflate anyone's expectations. But I really liked it a lot. And I can't at the moment think of a movie I like better. It is exciting, funny, touching, and tells one of those stories about the big picture. There was one scene where the camera jiggled inexplicably. I don't know if that was a production problem or a projector foul up.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was one scene where the camera jiggled inexplicably. I don't know if that was a production problem or a projector foul up.
It was deliberate. That kind of thing actually happened a lot in the TV show.

From a recent interview:
quote:

Q. Well the way it's storyboarded and assembled to have a documentary feel is also fascinating -- there's a "shaky-cam" look to the effects that "Firefly" sort of pioneered.

A. Well, it looked like that for a reason. "Buffy" was made because there was a character I wanted to see that I wasn't seeing. And "Firefly" was made because I was missing something in televised science fiction, and also in the movies: a gritty realism that wasn't an "Alien" ripoff.
The template I was working from was "NYPD Blue" -- it was "you are there." It was, "We just happened to have a camera, and then this happened." Obviously, these were larger-than-life stories, and obviously [in "Serenity"] there was some arch and manipulative camera work, because much the way Mal realizes he's a hero, the movie realizes, "I'm a movie!" But we always tried to keep that presence: We're there, the cameraman might fall over, everyone might die, and none of us is safe.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, well I didn't get that. It just bothered me. They should have done it more, I guess. Or maybe the other times they did it, it worked. Still, it's the only thing I can think of to complain about.

Porter knows this, but I thought I'd share that I saw the movie without seeing the series and I thought it rocked. [Smile]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, Pooka, I had the same reaction when I first watched the TV show.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity is awesome. There are a few things that you have to adjust to (language/slang), but the change occurs so smoothly that it improves the story. The thing about the movie I loved most was how the predictable events occured unpredictably. There were some moments I knew would happen, but the ways they were carried out were amazing and suited the characters perfectly.

Immediately after seeing the movie I resolved that it was easily going to be the favorite for anyone who saw it. Unfortunately, after talking to one of my more "shallow" friends, I realized exactly what OSC said in his review. Many people just can't get past the easy-going humor and lack of "Star Wars" caliber effects.

Anyway, I was very impressed with Whedon. I liked Buffy, but I thought his style wouldn't suit a full length movie. I was wrong.

Go see the movie.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The movie wasn't about the effects. I didn't even notice them except on the first landing. People who liked the original trilogy will, I think, like this film. People who prefer Episodes I-III should be rounded up and shot. (Just kidding, before anyone asks whether I'm a Christian.)
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen any of Firefly- nor do I know what it's even about- but I hear it's good. How accessible is a good thorough understanding of the movie and loving it when someone hasn't seen Firefly nor know what it's about?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawshank, you won't care about the characters or the ship as much in the movie if you haven't seen the series, and some of the relationships may be a bit fuzzy, but the movie was written to be self-contained. I'll try to round up a review or two from people who hadn't seen the series.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that's how I figured it would be.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I didn't see the series. Have I not said that yet? And I thought it was great.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Here.

This next one was posted by Enigmatic in the Spoiler-loaded Serenity Reviews thread in the other side of the forum. I didn't want to link to the spoilers so here's his comment.

quote:
I saw a midnight showing last night and I loved it. I brought a friend who had never seen the show before, and he really liked it too. He said he didn't feel like he was missing out on what was going on in the movie by not knowing the show. I think that's a good sign for overall movie performance, because to do really well non-fans are going to have to go see it.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawshank

Niether my wife or I ever watched an episode of Firefly before Serenity, but we both really enjoyed it (We agree it's deffinatley the best movie we've seen this year). An incredible movie, it took a little concentration to follow everything but deffinatley do-able.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well see, the best way to handle the "I missed that" syndrome is to just go see it again. And again. And again and again and again....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Here is one more review by someone who has not seen the DVDs.
Dannighe
Member # 7831

- posted      Profile for Dannighe   Email Dannighe         Edit/Delete Post 
I thank Whedon for not ruining one of the best TV series with a bad movie. He didn't try and completly improve on it like some people. *cough*Lucas*cough*
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
shawshank-

I saw the movie without seeing any of the series and had no problem jumping right into the story

the relationships that must have been explained much more in the story are still very easy to grasp and lead right into the rest of the movie

it was written well enough that you can fill in the blanks of the character development you missed in the series yourself

anyhow

I never watched the series
I saw the movie
and I still think it's one of the best movies to date

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grin
Member # 8967

- posted      Profile for grin   Email grin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's always fun to write to a year-old topic, hopefully everybody have seen the movie, and I don't spoil anything. This is what I already wanted to tell, hesitated between writing it to OSC himself or here, but well, people may give useful opinions or even correct me. (And I confess that I sincerely hope OSC comments too, since I really wonder: why the huge difference in our opinions?)

So, the story. I am in Hungary, and never heard of Firefly. One day I was reading about the Ender movie and OSC mentioned that he absolutely worship Serenity the movie. He wrote long about it, and like he said, it must have been the best sci-fi movie, ever.

"Heck, what is that?" I said to myself and checked. It was a movie for an unfinished series. So okay, I went and grabbed the Firefly series DVD (after some *ahem* precautions to see whether it worths it), and watched.

I absolutely loved it, the characters were good (see, this is an OSC forum, naturally we all love deep characters [Smile] ), the stories were okay. It's been a real shame it got cancelled. Tragedy.

But not to worry, now comes the worshipped movie: Serenity. I watched it.

Summarized: I was very disappointed. Was this the movie OSC loved? Is this the example where he would like to have the Ender movie go? Oh.

My main reason of disappointment was the lack of original characters. The actors were the same, but the characters were gone. Everybody was changed, they became empty, faceless. The capt. stopped caring about the people (just the opposite of Firefly), the dialogs were empty and meaningless. It was just a story told (and not a very bright story either, but the media limited the possibilities, I understand), without having real personalities. Even the mighty bully felt empty.

I remember having other problems when I first written this, but the textfile has lost in the past (took me some lurking to get the incentive to actually post this [Roll Eyes] ), so I only remember that the movie felt like stomping on the Firefly and using the world but not the people.

I do not understand how OSC - who seem to love to have complex and deep personalities and meaningful dialogs - liked this movie that much. I just silently hope that the Ender movie gonna be very much unlike Serenity, and will have characters with real personalities and not just the fancy (and required) special effects and fight-after-fight. I just hope that the E. m. gonna have a fair storyline, and not just flashes of interesting parts of the story connecting action-packed scenes where nobody says anything but shoots, kicks or flies in zero-g.

Have anyone felt the same, that Serenity did not contain any of the original characters?

I am sure I will watch Firefly again. Serenity? Hardly. [Frown]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Any team movie that doesn't just center on one or two people is going to lose something in characterization. X-men vs the Star Trek movies I feel are good examples. The Star Trek movies I feel are able to have a lot of characterization because they tend to focus on mostly 2-3 people (kirk, spock, mccoy originally, more recently Picard and Data). The X-men movies it seemed to me tried to bring all the characters to light in less then 2 hours, which you just can't do with that many people.

Everybody loves all the Serenity/Firefly characters so much that I think Joss Whedon did not want to just center on 1 or 2 of them. So for the sake of the story it did lose something.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There is some basis to saying Simon is very different from the series, but I think your disappointment must be rooted in not having Mal or River as your favorite characters. If your favorite characters were Book or Wash, I imagine you'd really think the movies sucked. [Smile] Me I was disappointed to watch the series and find Mr. Universe didn't appear in any other episodes.
grin
Member # 8967

Well, I am not really disappointed because they kill some of my favourite characters (and Book I really liked), and I tell that I think I liked all the 9 base characters. It happens, especially after they decided that this is definitely the last Firefly material on the screen. [Frown]

Maybe it's just me (that's one reason I asked it here) but I missed the interaction between the characters, which is just the same as if tey have lost their personalities. Like Mal stopped for caring the crew, Inara and Mal almost completely changed their relation (apart from one VERY weak try to hint it when Mal commented "it must be a trap"), and other people were just... flattened. They simply lack the small wits here and there, the subtle jokes and such. Walking talking dummies.

And I don't think it's because they wanted to put all characters in the spotlight: most of the episodes of the series use all the characters in much shorter timeframe. It's like the adaptation was created by someone who never seen Firefly... but it was written by Joss himself. [Angst]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm someone who saw the movie without seeing the series, and I just think you're being way off base. But I think it would be interesting to discuss if you wanted to go through some more specific examples. To me, most episodes were an exploration of an extreme situation that exposes the boundaries of a character, that they themselves might not have known.
grin
Member # 8967

Pooka, fair enough. But then I have to watch the movie again, until then the memory is not enough to bring up specifics.

(But I think there is a big difference which order do you watch 'em: the series after the movie may seem lack of actions and story (since they're way shorter); and the movie after the series may leave the feeling of a longer, more visual story but lack of personalities. We're just in different groups. [Wink] )

pooka
Member # 5003

Just out of curiosity, did you feel the movie gave closure to the story? Since, you know, you started another thread about that as a lacking in Card's work.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.