FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Problem With Ender's Game SPOILER

Author Topic: Problem With Ender's Game SPOILER
James Burton
Member # 9592

- posted      Profile for James Burton   Email James Burton         Edit/Delete Post 
Page 38 it has Anderson and Graff talking in bold about how Ender must be isolated. One says to the other "Especially because if we lose this time there won't me any criticism of us at all." This is because all the humans will be dead.

We find out later that the humans are actually attacking the buggers at their world. This means that if they lost there would still be 80 years or so before the buggers came back to kill them once and for all.

In this time there would surely be an investigation while everyone is looking for someone to blame the loss on. Both of them would surely be Vilified to an inhuman degree. The human race would die blaming Graff and Anderson.

Graff and Anderson deffinatly know that the humans are attacking the buggers and therefore that if we lost we wouldn't all instantly die. Why did he make this comment?

[ July 22, 2006, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: James Burton ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
Plot device, James Burton, plot device.
Maybe they mean long-term criticism, the kind that happens when historians get to you after you're dead.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm never reading Ender's Game again, not with mistakes like that in it!
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they think that if they attacked the Formics and failed, before they could arrange another offense/defense the Formics would have retaliated? I believe I read that somewhere...
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

Yes, but by the time the Buggers' counterattack reached Earth, Graff's and Anderson's handling of everything would surely have been criticized (in the way that failures are criticized, I mean, not the way that they were criticized anyway following Ender's success).
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that Buggers wouldn't have attacked Earth even if humans have lost.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
But Graff and Anderson didn't know that, and they certainly had no reason to think it. It's like hitting a bee hive with a stick. You pretty much assume that they're going to try and sting you for it.

As for the original post, I think that they're just trying to say that criticism and blame won't matter if the human race is going to be finished in 80 years max. Is this small matter of semantics really what one calls a problem?

[ July 24, 2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

But the humans didn't believe that; if they knew that the Buggers were planning to leave them alone, the humans wouldn't have bothered launching the fleet.
And they certainly wouldn't have been so happy when Ender wiped out (what they thought was) all of the Buggers.

So while worrying about a Bugger counterattack seems silly, to we who know that they were planning on leaving us alone because they finally realized that we were sentient, it made perfect sense as it happened, before the Hive Queen made contact with Ender and told him all their plans.

James Burton
Member # 9592

- posted      Profile for James Burton   Email James Burton         Edit/Delete Post 
neo - dragon

I agree is a very minor point but i wasn't going to call it - place where osc skrewd up, for the very reason that I was probably wrong.

And i'm not sure what is ment by plot device??
the conversations in the rest of thge book mention Anderson trying to save his ass. If there would be an imidiate counter attack that wouldn't matter either...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I would assume that if they lost, the millitary would not be in a hurry to TELL the rest of the human population that they were going to be wiped out in another hundred years. Perhaps there might have been some internal consequence, but nothing too terrible. Besides, if you know you've just destroyed the world, what anyone else says doesn't really matter much anymore.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the world did not know about the launch to the Buggers homeworld, I think it would just be a matter of the IF sitting on their hands after the loss and letting what happens next happen without anyone knowing until it was too late!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing, OSTY. Why would the IF tell anyone they'd screwed up so royally when it would all come out soon enough? Come out with no one having to answer for their actions, at that. Lucky for everyone in the books it didn't play out like that... And I guess lucky for us readers, too!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

That's true...and since the Buggers weren't planning a counterattack, I wonder how long it would have been before it leaked out of the IF for good.
What would the IF do if they'd lost that final battle? They'd have no way of knowing that the Buggers hadn't sent out a fleet following their victorious defense of their homeworld (assuming they didn't, but then who knows, the Buggers might have changed their minds after being attacked), so would it make more sense to try to build up that impossible defense-in-depth Bean was criticizing anyway? Would they send out a new fleet, to try again? Either it'd pass the Bugger one on the way to each other's homeworlds, if the Buggers sent one out, or it would mean that the Buggers hadn't sent one. Then again, that's the situation they were in to begin with, and we all know what decision the humans made...without the ability to communicate, there was no way of knowing if the Buggers had changed their collective mind about the humans or were just biding their time or were going to attack at the first opportunity. Varelse, war the only option.
I wonder if the Buggers'd've found a way to contact Ender through their bridge in the meantime...

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, I always took that to mean they were working under the assumption that there was a likelihood that the buggers had already sent a counter-attack, right after the second war. We knew they had the ansible.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - what's 'that'? Sorry.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because their was a counter-attack in the offing does not mean that they did not expect another invasion force.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
That, being the the statements between Graff and Anderson.

Or what BC said.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont see this as much of a problem. the small portion that i can view as a problem would be the fact that the IF and even earthside military could have time enough to establish a better defensive system. let alone a new offensive fleet. but considering the odds... what's the chance of another ender wiggin coming along? i think there are some that would agree that ender wiggin is the best offensive system [Smile]

think of all the kids in battle school. would they have been able to do what ender did? would they have prevailed from isolation and grueling advancement the way ender did?

when graff and anderson imply the failure to destroy the buggers, of mankind to survive, it's because they havent seen anyone work the way ender does. their hope is equal to their despair.

i thought it took 40 years to reach the buggers homeworld. 50 tops? the fleet was launched right after mazer's victory.. that was less than 80 years wasnt it? correct me if i'm wrong.. i'd doublecheck but my girlfriend's dad is reading from my copy presently [Smile]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.