FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » A great book but shadow was better. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A great book but shadow was better.
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I also like Enders Shadow more than Enders Game -- as long as were only comparing those two books, because in my mind the Ender series is much better than the Shadow series but as far as a competition between just ES and EG I think that ES is better.

ES just has more drama and feeling and you really see Bean develope as a 'human' from being the cold calculating child to an emotional but still ingenious person and even facing and outsmarting his 'nemesis' Achilles. Wheras in Enders Game Ender really didn't change he was for the most part the same middle-class child who complained about the games throughout the book. I am not critisizing EG it is still an awesome book but I just thing that ES was better. But there is no competition when it comes to "Shadow of the Hegemon" and "Speaker For the Dead" Speaker takes the cake -- and for that matter the whole bakery.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
" But there is no competition when it comes to "Shadow of the Hegemon" and "Speaker For the Dead" Speaker takes the cake -- and for that matter the whole bakery. "

MUCH agreed. I like Ender's Shadow better then Ender's Game, but Speaker For the Dead is definitly better then Shadow of the Hegemon and Speaker is also, imo, better then the other Ender/Shadow books too.

Speaker For the Dead is my favorite of the Ender/Shadow books. Its such a GREAT book, imo. Ender is a great character in Speaker and I really like all the kids & their mother too. And the story about the Piggies and the Hive Queen and the virus are just great.

Xenocide is definitly my second favorite. I like the continuing story of Ender, the kids, the piggies, the Hive Queen, and the new story that pops up in Xenocide, about Han, his daughter, and their planet, is also really good.

Overall, Speaker For the Dead is definitly the best! Love that book! I need to read it again soon!

DF2506
" When it comes to Ender's Game vs. Ender's Shadow though, Ender's Shadow definitly wins for me! The order in which I like the books so far is: Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Children of the Mind, and then Ender's Game."

[ January 14, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: DF2506 ]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barkeep49
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for barkeep49   Email barkeep49         Edit/Delete Post 
To me Ender was far eaiser for me to relate to than Bean. Ender was constantly having to deal with enormous expecations being placed upon him, expectations he really was quite ambivalent about. Ender's greatness was in many ways unwanted. Bean on the other hand doesn't seem to have the same sort of ambivlence.

I have enjoyed the Shadow series but I too have problems with how the Enderverse has been rewritten. This includes giving Bean so much more credit than Ender, and now, possibly, tearing down the acomplishments of Peter.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again the ES series had characters with short and/or much more memorable and prounouncable names. I didn't bother with learning the portugese accents so i pronouced the chars as:

Nov-in-ya
Quim
Ol-hal-doh
Greg-oh
and pretty much you get the picture. I pronounced them as I would in english. In ES/series the names are far shorter and more rounouncable. Itu, Surly, Vlad, and come on how hard is it to pronounce Dink!

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.